Best long weapon - maybe FAMAS

marcinl0

But the automatic weapon values were done for balancing reasons, i know. But i dont like the balance. Say merc is Standing in front of a soldier, youre shooting 2 bursts right in his chest and he will kill you with his knife next round. I would like it better, my mercs are for themselfes in danger to die, from enemy MG Auto fire or a handfull of bullets, or just one hit of an 7.62, immediately, instead of that.

The healing system feels so godlike for me, that it is unfair to have against that Enemy AI.

So i have to wait for editor, having more fun out of weapons.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sandman25dcsss said:

I use a mod with full damage for burst/autofire, arguably it makes game harder because many enemies use burst. My mercs were killed by single burst many times when I made tactical mistakes.

Assault rifles can be quite precise, my best merc switched to using assault rifle to kill 2 enemies per turn, she starts fight with 12 AP and has 100% CtH without aiming so sniper rifle for 7 AP is no longer the best. But then CtH mod really helps to make decision about the switch.

Ah yes, thanks. 👍 So maybe i'll install that mod or just wait for editor, crafting all values for my one, already done some calculation, to have an better, appropriate relation.

15 minutes ago, 5Cents said:

But the automatic weapon values were done for balancing reasons, i know.

It was the idea, yes. But burst gives 120% damage comparing to 100% damage from single shot and it requires all 3 bullets to hit despite accuracy penalty, it is ridiculous. Currently "+1 bullet when burst" weapon mod is a must to even start talking about balance.

16 minutes ago, 5Cents said:

Ah yes, thanks. 👍 So maybe i'll install that mod or just wait for editor, crafting all values for my one, already done some calculation, to have an better, appropriate relation.

By the way there is another mod of the same author with values somewhere in the middle between vanilla penalties and full damage so you can try both mods and see what you like more.

Edited by sandman25dcsss
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, marcinl0 said:

What ammo is recommended for Dragunov in JA3 - exactly.

For PSG-1: NATO 7.62 x 51 mm.

Caliber of Dragunov is 7,62x39 WP.

@Warmonger meant type of ammo, i think. Depending on purpose. Its all in the game, if youre not sure, you just have to read the description on ammoboxes, which type it is and what its good for. So you can ask yourself in every gamesituation and load the most appropriate bullets.  If you are moving mouse-cursor to your weapon, the possible bullets will be highlited/pointed out (at least if you can find it somewhere..:D).

On 7/28/2023 at 10:36 AM, Skaldy said:

sniper rifle+ hollow point ammo can single-handedly carry the entire game. Hence best long range weapons are sniper rifles. 6 mercs with sniper rifles and corresponding ammo+perks can clean maps in few minutes

As I have repeatedly mentioned, this is something I was concerned about long before release and made multiple suggestions on how to avoid this. Everything was ignored and now you just have this easy, boring method that seems to work in every situation.

3 hours ago, 5Cents said:

For me the same. I dumped almost all AR weapons. They were almost completly useless for me, because the reduced damage, when shooting burst/auto.

(Apart from beeing absolutely unrealistic) which isnt a game fault, they were meaningless. Why should invest APs, when damage is reduced and its unlikely the bullets will hit.

Apart from they are good for singleshots, because less APs to spend, but again, not as precise and less damage than Rifles. And if merc has a perk or observes he will spend a lot of bullets, with no or few effect.

The only good AR for me, was the good old antiquated  modified FAL bought in Grandmas Shop (cause deadliness + bearable range).
All the rest was only pure trash for me.

But mostly, in later game, my merc worked with m24 anyway.

Another 'great' idea that wasn't all that great. Haemimont said that they had no damage reduction at first but this made the gameplay less enjoyable. However, they didn't properly test other methods to stop making automatic fire the most dominant. The end result is that is just furthers the emphasis on single shots that are aimed at the head.

3 hours ago, sandman25dcsss said:

I use a mod with full damage for burst/autofire, arguably it makes game harder because many enemies use burst. My mercs were killed by single burst many times when I made tactical mistakes.

Assault rifles can be quite precise, my best merc switched to using assault rifle to kill 2 enemies per turn, she starts fight with 12 AP and has 100% CtH without aiming so sniper rifle for 7 AP is no longer the best. But then CtH mod really helps to make decision about the switch.

3 hours ago, 5Cents said:

But the automatic weapon values were done for balancing reasons, i know. But i dont like the balance. Say merc is Standing in front of a soldier, youre shooting 2 bursts right in his chest and he will kill you with his knife next round.

I would have kept all bullet damage the same between fire modes but would have increased recoil per shot and action point usage.

18 minutes ago, 5Cents said:

Caliber of Dragunov is 7,62x39 WP.

I hope not. I still have to wait a few more weeks to play JA3 but the SVD Dragunov should be chambered for 7.62x54mmR. If not, then that is another mistake that needs fixing.

• Like 1

Does that work for you? My first thought was to have a use for any Machinegun, supression. But maybe because of high difficulty the enemy resistant against my supression trys..even the M2 couldnt do good results there, even not in deadliness, cause of penalty too. Maybe that will work better in commandos?

Hmmm...well.. Got a bit of dejavu, doing some time travelling, need to edit quieta lot of data & change some 1.13 ini values..😄

It seems to work well for me in terms of getting the suppressed status, although sometimes I find it hard to tell how much of a difference it really makes. I use it when there is only one enemy (so throwing one of my few stun grenade would be a waste), when they are outside my throwing range, or in situations where I want to stay crouched or prone. What I haven't figured out yet is if auto fire on a group can suppress only the one enemy I'm actively targeting, or those nearby as well. I just auto fired on a group of four, all standing next to each other, but I got only one "suppressed" message. I may have been unlucky or maybe that's just how it works. But if we can wound multiple enemies with one shot, surely we can suppresse multiple enemies with one attack?

@marcinl0

The Dragunov in game uses 7,62x39 mm WP rounds. All soviet rifles and machine guns actually use that for simplicity. This is I guess to make the loot drops easier to handle.

Dragunov in real life uses 7,62x54R. AK-74 uses 5,45x39 mm. However these callibres are not available in game and thus they use the 7,62x39.

@Solaris_Wave

If you are asking from a coding perspective - just a simple variable that is part of the Free movement formula.

If you are asking from a roleplaying perspective - drugs, training and whatnot. I know for certainty that a well-conditioned infantry soldier can outrun or outpace me while I am not carrying anything heavy and they are hauling a 30 kg backpack and weapons with them. You can say that on easier difficulties they are not that well-trained and thus the base value they have is actually for civilians.

Do not underestimate what a good condition training can do for your body. 😉

Edited by Melliores

23 minutes ago, Melliores said:

Dragunov in real life uses 7,62x54R. AK-74 uses 5,45x39 mm. However these callibres are not available in game and thus they use the 7,62x39.

The more I read about what is missing from the game, the less enthusiastic I am about even playing the game in the next few weeks.

5 hours ago, Solaris_Wave said:

How do they achieve this? Do they suddenly get rocket-powered roller skates or something?

There is a mod which fixes it:

"Do you feel like enemies are running twice as fast as your mercs? This is not just your feeliing: on top difficulty they have 60% bonus to free move. IMHO it is just not fun, cause it breaks tactical combat dividing it into two phases: long range sniping -> close combat. No middle distance battle.
Mod decreases enemies 60% free move bonus to 20% for MI, and from 30% to 10% for Commando."

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3007139970

38 minutes ago, Melliores said:

The Dragunov in game uses 7,62x39 mm WP rounds. All soviet rifles and machine guns actually use that for simplicity. This is I guess to make the loot drops easier to handle.

Aha, so i thought i became forgetable.. : D

I already recognized it for MG42, which is in 7,62x51 Nato in game (MG3), not 7,92×57, from WW2.

8 hours ago, sandman25dcsss said:

Also based on my understanding of source code only main target is suppressed.

Yes, so my game-experience told me too. Too Bad. Hope its changeable..

8 hours ago, D13 said:

But if we can wound multiple enemies with one shot, surely we can suppresse multiple enemies with one attack?

I think, thats pure luck. At the moment i think, you cant really steer that. Other in JA2 where you could steer every sprayed shot (at least see the estimated hits).

So in my game surpressing trys were pretty useless, when i was overhelmed,..so i gave up that tactic pretty soon and sometimes i just retreated, to come back again later..
Hm, a bit of a downfall of game-mechanix at the moment, that looks to me.

Edited by 5Cents