Who is your favorite IMP?

D13

Who is your favorite IMP?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite IMP?

9 hours ago, Biff said:

There's only 2 IMP voices, generic male or generic female.

This is very poor effort indeed, just American accent and over it a very dull one. I was expecting there would be at least 5 different voices for each male & female with different accents. The IMP back in JA2 was giving more of a feeling that your IMP is a leader but in JA3 its simply tasteless.

9 hours ago, Raeven said:

Do the IMP voices change based on their portrait, or is it already the same?

I'm playing as #3 and find her VO to be rather bland. I get the sense that including an IMP Merc was a last minute addition.

Totally agree they put minimum effort for IMP, just like you said like it was a last min addition.

There is also very few IMP models, was expecting at least 10 models for each male and female.

But the few models are good though, which i cant complain, i like the commando type guy with the red beret and also the black guy with the shades on.

• Like 1

I don't like the female imps.

1st is boring, 2nd looks not like she belongs on a battlefield and 3rd looks too tacticool for my taste. I guess it is hard to satisfy me. 

I would like the devs to take some time and improve on this aspect. Perhaps as a dlc. Would like to have a couple of voices to chooses from. Also would like to have special lines for each voice representing the different characters (scoundrel, negotiator and psycho) for each of the voices and a few lines that are specific for the imp. Also would like a variety of portraits and the ability to customise the clothes and gear.

I like the IMP lines because they don't feel as repetitive as quickly as those of most other mercs. Often I just want a 1-2 syllable confirmation, not something funny I've heard a thousand times before. But yes, more variety would be nice, like in JA2 where you could combine portrait with voice.

3 hours ago, CersaisAdvocate said:

2nd looks not like she belongs on a battlefield

😄 That is exactly why I chose #2 for my playthrough. I tend to play with "jack of all trades, master of none" IMPs who then develop not to lead, but to support and survive, and #2 seemed most appropriate.

There are more than 2 IMP voices.  While there are only 2 sets of lines, there are multiple tone options for each gender that makes the voice actively sound different.

But to answer the question: Option 6 is the "least worst" IMHO.

Edited by MisterSlanky

I also expected the imps having unique models and outfits instead of borrowing the models pieces of others or like in the second female imp the whole outfit and hair of corazon santiago.

At least we can mod such things ourselves to change them but it is still bad to have to mod things that should had been there from the start.

16 hours ago, MisterSlanky said:

There are more than 2 IMP voices.  While there are only 2 sets of lines, there are multiple tone options for each gender that makes the voice actively sound different.

I wish that were true, but I've checked the game files and each IMP has the same voice set assigned. There really is only 2 IMP voices to choose from.

image.jpeg.232e22fa66eecf5a69ee44baf9e62c4e.jpeg

• Sad 1

#2 is my favourite overall, which looks like a popular opinion.

The others aren't awful, but they have little details I don't care for:

• #1 is my runners-up, but her expression doesn't look combat-ready; I'll probably use her for a future run where my IMP focuses on non-combat skills
  • #3 is probably my least favourite, with neither a portrait nor model that appeals to me
  • #4 is a great portrait, but the model could use some flair, or at least differently coloured highlight somewhere
  • #5 is just too milquetoast to me, especially in combination with the whitebread voice
  • #6 is actually pretty neat; I just need to find a character concept that fits it
On 8/14/2023 at 3:20 AM, LoboNocturno said:

This is very poor effort indeed, just American accent and over it a very dull one. I was expecting there would be at least 5 different voices for each male & female with different accents. The IMP back in JA2 was giving more of a feeling that your IMP is a leader but in JA3 its simply tasteless.

I think that's overly harsh. The IMP has to be generic to fit whatever concept the player has for it (and many players use it as a self-insert). Any personality the devs include could conflict with what the player had in mind. I think they erred a bit too far on the side of caution, compared to JA2's IMPs, but I don't think this decision was due to laziness or just not caring.

• Like 1

On 8/16/2023 at 5:25 AM, Biff said:

I wish that were true, but I've checked the game files and each IMP has the same voice set assigned. There really is only 2 IMP voices to choose from.

Check the poly voice settings. If you actively listen, the lines are the same, but tonally there are different voices for the different presets.  They're all available in the IMP mod settings.