We need "Bobby Ray" shop!

Graysnow

Hi! I'm a big fan of Jagged Alliance 2 and I really hope for your game (Because, you know, how many times the fans of "true" JA2, got a bunch of shit in the face, instead of a normal game.)
But this is the lyrics. What I wanted to say was that the management of weapons and equipment in JA 2 dragged me no less than the battles themselves. And I was disappointed that, judging by the Beta, you will not have an analogue of an online weapons store...I personally liked flipping through it and reading the characteristics, even if I couldn't afford them at the moment, it was an important part of the game, I think.

• Like 5

I couldn't agree more and have stated the same many times. Bobby Ray's and Tony added so much to the game. I to enjoyed browsing Bobby Ray's to see what new weapons became available as you progressed through the game and scour over the stats. Also resupplying ammo and buying LBE gear and weapon mods. I'd use Bobby Ray's to get that new gear and ammo supplies to the front line while hauling used weapons from enemies back to Tony to sell for some cash. The whole process was enjoyable and added another strategic layer to the game. This whole shared inventory, crafting ammo from scrap. and lack of Bobby Ray's really isn't the right way to go IMO. 

I would also like to see LBE gear like 1.13 implemented but right now the inventory is very basic. I hope they change that in that future but it's probably unlikely.

• Like 1

I don't mind bobby ray's for nostalgia points, but mechanically I actually think local shops are much more interesting because you have to first find them, then you have to camp them, then some of them might have a speciality, or some might sell higher level gear than others.

Maybe some are behind a quest, perhaps some require some reputation check with a faction in the strategy, perhaps some of them have some other requirement, perhaps some operate out of a hovel in the forest.

Edited by anon474
  • Like 1

They already mentioned that the game will gave (at least) one gun store. Some granny selling guns.

Something like Bobby Ray would probably even reduce replayability, as it normalizes accessibility.

That said, Bobby Ray wasn't that great in JA2 anyways. I used it mostly for Ammo and Health/Mechanical Kits and stuff like that, as regarding weapons it was usually behind what I found already. JA 2 1.13 might have changed that quite a bit.

Bobby Ray didnt exist in previous JAs either though. JA DG hat Mickey auctioning off random stuff, which was quite fun in multiplayer.

Or to combine the best of the two worlds:
find the vendor, do a quest for him, his online shops then is available to you.

i didn't like having a merc standing around the vendor just to see if he has something worthy to buy...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Wigen said:

Here is a link to Bobby Ray's shop.  I wonder if it still comes from the previous version of the game.

06_Browser_Ask.png.973b9226e6c09211dd31de94cbb70285.png

Interesting to see the Bobby Ray's link at the bottom when devs said there will be no Bobby Ray's or equivalent. I wonder if they changed their mind and are going to implement it. This would be great news if true.

1 hour ago, Idephicus said:

Yes, definitely. Bobby Ray's made sectors with an airport crucial to gameplay and logistics. And that feeling when you opened the package.... Literally like a Christmas present.

Yeah, as long as you keep Pablo's coffee addiction going. haha I agree though. The logistics aspect of Bobby Ray's shipments going to Drassen making Drassen a sort of "homebase" and supply line for you front lines added another layer to the strategy IMO. Not to mention just browsing BR's and comparing all the weapons and their stats, especially using the 1.13 mod and tons of guns option. This aspect will be greatly missed if it's not included.

When I last left off my current playthrough of JA2 1.13, keeping the supply chain from Drassen was becoming difficult but critical to pushing forward. Definitely adds another layer of gameplay to the mix.

Screenshot (63).png

• Like 1

On 4/29/2023 at 9:12 PM, DougS2K said:

I couldn't agree more and have stated the same many times. Bobby Ray's and Tony added so much to the game. I to enjoyed browsing Bobby Ray's to see what new weapons became available as you progressed through the game and scour over the stats. Also resupplying ammo and buying LBE gear and weapon mods. I'd use Bobby Ray's to get that new gear and ammo supplies to the front line while hauling used weapons from enemies back to Tony to sell for some cash. The whole process was enjoyable and added another strategic layer to the game. This whole shared inventory, crafting ammo from scrap. and lack of Bobby Ray's really isn't the right way to go IMO. 

I would also like to see LBE gear like 1.13 implemented but right now the inventory is very basic. I hope they change that in that future but it's probably unlikely.

Instant gratification. Saw it in the gameplay on how to craft a timebomb. Materials ready, one click, tadaaa.
Crafting ammo, materials there, one click, tadaa.
That Bobby Ray, I was hoping to equip team w dragunovs, and they only had a few. Bought one, big spend on fast shipping costs, then waiting for that package. THERE IS THE WHOLE FUN man. SITTING IN THAT TENSION.
Why people don't get that these days. Instant instant instant.

• Like 1

I'm hoping that the next dev stream, or at least in the near future we hear more about the weapons and vendors. We haven't got much detail on this side of the game yet and it's a very important aspect to the game IMO. Also, maybe they can tell us their logic for going with this crafting weapon mods vs the traditional system of buying weapon mods and being able to swap them between weapons. On that note, I really wish they would get rid of the whole crafting mechanic altogether. 

7 minutes ago, DougS2K said:

I'm hoping that the next dev stream, or at least in the near future we hear more about the weapons and vendors. We haven't got much detail on this side of the game yet and it's a very important aspect to the game IMO. Also, maybe they can tell us their logic for going with this crafting weapon mods vs the traditional system of buying weapon mods and being able to swap them between weapons. On that note, I really wish they would get rid of the whole crafting mechanic altogether. 

From Discord

It's a bit early to share the full list. We'll have a talk regarding the weapons in the future.

• 4 weeks later...

Bobby Rays would add another layer to the money sink... With more options you have to decide if you want to hire another merc or buy some new and shiny stuff... Maybe limit the amount of Bobbys inventory which will change every week so you can simmer towards Bobbys next week offering. 

To not include Bobby Rays shop is a mistake!

• Like 1

Arms dealers are definitely something I'm missing in what I saw until now. 

I actually prefered Tony to Bobby Rays: Selling off "useless" weapons and supplies for stuff that is needed on the field and getting extra funds to keep/hire more/better mercenaries? Yes please.

8 hours ago, Povok said:

Arms dealers are definitely something I'm missing in what I saw until now. 

I actually prefered Tony to Bobby Rays: Selling off "useless" weapons and supplies for stuff that is needed on the field and getting extra funds to keep/hire more/better mercenaries? Yes please.

I'm actually starting to think that selling weapons may not even be a thing since we haven't seen this done yet and the crafting mechanic they implemented in which your scrap weapons for parts to craft weapon mods. I hope I'm wrong though.

6 hours ago, Kordanor said:

As mentioned before Arms Dealers are definitely in and were confirmed a couple of times by the developers. Online Order ala Bobby Ray however is not.

I think Granny Cohani is going to be your Arms Dealer:

https://youtu.be/5t09aNdl18c?t=194

I'm still very hesitant to say that arms dealers are actually going to be a thing since after all these dev diaries and after all the beta footage YouTubers put out, we still have yet to see a single vendor. It just seems a little weird that we still haven't seen a single vendor after all that. Not even so much as an image of weapons for sale. 🤔

25 minutes ago, DougS2K said:

I'm actually starting to think that selling weapons may not even be a thing

100%. But u still need some traders to sell enemies weapons. There is no deficit of guns in Grand Chien. Actually will be interesting if u had to arm militia yourself. But its too hard for Haemimonts.

7 hours ago, Kordanor said:

I think Granny Cohani is going to be your Arms Dealer

Yes, she has her own store in Cacao Port.

cohanigunstore.png