Necessary upgrades before launch

Remi1987

Dev-team, I feel like posting the following. Some very important tweaks to make, not much extra programming, to make the game much better and much immersive.

• Severely wounded enemy soldiers, (and our own mercs) should have reduced mobility. Some blood on the bodies can be extremely cool, visible bandages after medical aid kid applied can also be really sweet.
  • A bit more of a darker, more grim like overall graphical layer/feel, like Diablo 4 has, is also great I believe.
  • Animation and audio when opponent hit is absolutely needed
  • Hide enemy number in to be attacked sector. it takes all of the surprise out of the game and massively influences playstyle. Make options; a show player number, b show range; low/mid/highly population, c. hide at all. Guys I want to get immersed to the max, not running around reckless because i know there is 1 enemy in the sector.
  • Operations overview, make the icons smaller, so no scroll is needed on 6+ icons.
  • Blood stains on the fade within 5 seconds. I hope for an option to switch to keep having that visible longer or even as standard
  • Explain option menu. Eye adaptation, what is that? A hoover pop up for some settings can really help
  • Overall there is too much clunkiness. Shooting at an enemy suddenly destroys own cover. Line of sight while proned and behind objects seems at play footage not yet fully in place. These absolutely need to be fixed.

Jagged alliance 3 really needs someone with even more in depth critics to review it entirely. An example of what I mean, Kripp for reviewing Diablo 4, see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-l91GoAjkM

JA3 is as of now 'okay/good' but not great, but it has this potential to become it once these fixes are made in the game mechanics.

I bring this to optimise the game to absolue A-class game even more and not to criticize all great work already done.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Remi1987 said:

Overall there is too much clunkiness.

This.

JA3 is as of now 'okay/good' but not great, but it has this potential to become it

No.

I bring this to optimise the game to absolue A-class game

Really? A-class? Pff... No chance...

A bit more of a darker, more grim like overall graphical layer/feel, like Diablo 4 has

Find my thread on this forum "Biggest mistake of JA3". Full f*cked up with design. Irreversible. JA is not "Tropico 7"...

Tropico_4.jpg

Edited by Lunokhod

I wish it was tropico 4, right now it has a lot of xcom and crpg elements instead of tactical strategy elements.

Of course I understand that developers have a hard job, but I hope if they make a big dlc, theyll fundamentally redisgn core gameplay.

3 hours ago, chr_isso said:

As like in so many game devs - i would really love to see more responses and better communication from the DEVs.

I'm not sure about that. While it certainly helps to pay attention to feedback that fans give on your work-in-progress, I don't think it pays off to engage with the forum too much, because once people take it for granted that they respond to our messages it would be an endless task for them to keep up all the discussions.

Not only that, but everything they'd say here would eventually be used against them.

If I were on the dev team I'd lurk here, but I'd never respond to messages, except maybe in broad statements published as news updates on the homepage.

Edited by Frank
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, chr_isso said:

As like in so many game devs - i would really love to see more responses and better communication from the DEVs.

The issue is that the communication has to be both ways earlier in development. We are getting info sent to us but not really much feedback from what we've suggested. This is typical of any game dev once they are of a certain size. They have been responding directly more recently but it's in the form of answering questions about what's already been decided and not able to affect change.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Xeth Nyrrow said:

The issue is that the communication has to be both ways earlier in development. We are getting info sent to us but not really much feedback from what we've suggested. This is typical of any game dev once they are of a certain size. They have been responding directly more recently but it's in the form of answering questions about what's already been decided and not able to affect change.

That does concern me too. Are the Diaries only posted when everything is set and not likely to change, no matter what we suggest? Or, if still liable to change, our input is negligible compared to internal contributions?

Edited by Solaris_Wave

4 hours ago, Solaris_Wave said:

That does concern me too. Are the Diaries only posted when everything is set and not likely to change, no matter what we suggest? Or, if still liable to change, our input is negligible compared to internal contributions?

The game is already feautre complete and unlikely to change they are now polishing it and debugging as well as balancing.

8 hours ago, Xeth Nyrrow said:

This is not unusual most big decisions are made behind closed doors without the meddling of customers or the userbase. That kind of influence can skew decision making.

At the same time when your fan base is informed and not stupid or biased in a particularly knee jerky or histrionic way, then maybe it is good to get outside opinion especially if the people who are really making the decisions might be 4 people, brian langdon, I think thats his name, or brad langston, sorry brad, ian currie gets input and boian does as well. And everybody else doesnt really get input because theyre working for somebody up in the org so they may not want to criticize or ruffle any feathers as it were.

Edited by Godzilla

2 hours ago, Godzilla said:

The game is already feautre complete and unlikely to change they are now polishing it and debugging as well as balancing.

Hopefully, if they are busy balancing the guns, they do it in a way that reflects their real world counterparts. That isn't hard to do as long as you have the right advisers. I can foresee myself wanting to mod it otherwise.

34 minutes ago, Solaris_Wave said:

Hopefully, if they are busy balancing the guns, they do it in a way that reflects their real world counterparts. That isn't hard to do as long as you have the right advisers. I can foresee myself wanting to mod it otherwise.

Im not sure thats a good idea...

You make everything realistic a 308 gun will 1 hit kill almost anything and will knock people out if not kill them. 308 is about the upper limit of armor, and the reason why is because the kinetic impact of a round that large is itself enough to disable any combatant even if it doesnt penetrate the armor.

56 minutes ago, Lunokhod said:

Сan you at least make icons the same size? Something wrong with your eyes? Do it today, its like 1.5 hours of your time to make 40 icons. Mr "I want 45 dollas"...

iconsja3.png

I also noticed ever since that our IMP mercs portraits are bigger, they should balance it and make it in the same size imo.

29 minutes ago, Image Miroir said:

I prefer more guns, more side quests, more mercs than just taking time to fix unimportant details.

Nobody will do more guns and quests, the game already done. Bro they cant even make so simple things like one size icons. It looks messy, its not how serious people working, its not free fanart. U can say "unimportant details" about everything in this game. Animations - unimportant, visible armors - unimportant, story - unimportant, smart enemies - unimportant. Why price 45$ if everything unimportant?

Bug fixes and quality of life improvements are more important than having more guns, quests and mercs at this stage. All those extras can be added as DLC later, if necessary. If there is enough of that content already in the main game, having more as DLC would not be considered as deliberately holding back content for more money either.

That is assuming that there is plenty of that content in the main game to start with.

Hope they will fix the sight of enemies which is 1 of the most important issues from what i have seen from the beta gameplay imo, i mean once the battles will be challenging then there will be lots of more gameplay fun for us.

@Solaris_Wave As you mentioned the rest can come later on as DLC`s. In the last dev stream it was said there will not come any DLC right away, guess it will take a few months still the first DLC will come to the surface.

Having the DLC come later is a good thing, I agree. When you see games that have DLC on release date, you immediately question why it couldn't be included with the base game. The answers are usually obvious but rarely given. In the age of physical discs and the previous console generations, some games even had DLC on the disc, waiting for you to pay extra to unlock it.

23 hours ago, Solaris_Wave said:

Bug fixes and quality of life improvements are more important than having more guns, quests and mercs at this stage.

The size of the portrait inside the picture is not a "bug" for me; and if it is, it should be the last one to fix.

34 minutes ago, Image Miroir said:

The size of the portrait inside the picture is not a "bug" for me

Yes, its not a bug, but everything must be neatly. Geometrically correct and beautiful. Because its hurts eyes, designer should be ashamed of it.

These are good suggestions and there should be plenty of time to implement some of these changes before release. I think at this point though, what we're seeing in gameplay footage maybe what we get. The remaining time before release may just be bug squashing and polishing. 

25 minutes ago, Lunokhod said:

Because its hurts eyes

Wow you are still on about it and I still don't get it. What are you calling the "icons"? Does the different face size bug you or is it the added padding of the selected card?

I must admit, I don't really understand what I am looking at when I see those screenshots. Do you mean the way that the portrait is bigger than the box that is supposed to surround the portrait? Fidel's beret is sticking out above the box.

Is that what you mean?