Movies that scratch that "tactical" itch?

GODSPEED

Any good "tactical" movies that cam scratch that Jagged Alliance itch to recommend?

A couple of movies I very much appreciated:

9th Company (2005):

Russian movie about a bunch of recruits who are sent to Afghanistan in the late 80's. Brutal movie, very realistic and anti-heroic in a way.

Nokas (2010):

Norwegian movie (from real event) about a heist that ends up as a gunfight in the streets. Very realistic portrayal of gunfights, weapons and nothing over the top.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/23/2021 at 1:53 AM, GODSPEED said:

9th Company (2005):

Russian movie about a bunch of recruits who are sent to Afghanistan in the late 80's. Brutal movie, very realistic and anti-heroic in a way.

I found 9th Company on You-tube, but no English version, I've watched about 40 mins of it, looks interesting, like a mix of Full metal Jacket and Platoon.

Edited by Acid

14 hours ago, Acid said:

I found 9th Company on You-tube, but no English version, I've watched about 40 mins of it, looks interesting, like a mix of Full metal Jacket and Platoon.

Yes, it's a Russian-only movie with English subs. Sorry, I should have mentionned that..

I watch a good amount of movies with subs because I only understand French and English.

On 10/22/2021 at 2:53 PM, GODSPEED said:

9th Company (2005):

Remember seeing this one 12-ish years ago. I agree with you verdict. 👍

On 10/22/2021 at 2:53 PM, GODSPEED said:

Nokas (2010):

Norwegian movie (from real event) about a heist that ends up as a gunfight in the streets. Very realistic portrayal of gunfights, weapons and nothing over the top.

Have not even heard of it despite Norway being a neighboring country. Or maybe because it is. 😂

Reminds me of the movie 44 minutes: The North Hollywood Shoot-Out. Based on true events.

And since we are mentioning heist gone wrong movies. PLEASE tell me you have seen HEAT! 

Check these out at IMDB.

Ultimate Force, Series about an SAS platoon. 

Tour of Duty, Series about a US army platoon during the Vietnam war.

Maybe not so tactical movies but I cant help watching these old war movies every few years.

Were Eagles Dare

Kelly's Heroes

Guns of Navarone

I know there are a lot more of these old movies, but I grew up watching these specific 3.

• Like 2

Battle: Los Angeles is pretty good if you can overlook the somewhat fantastical setup. It's basically "What if aliens showed up tomorrow in the real world and started attacking cities?" and follows a group of soldiers sent in to evac civilians in what's basically become no man's land in Los Angeles. They're scared and not quite sure what they're fighting against or how best to deal with it, but they're still trained soldiers and they're defending their home so they look out for each other and do the best they can. It's probably the closest we'll ever get to a real XCOM movie, and I feel like it's fairly underrated.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Was watching the TV and saw that the an old movie called: Clear and Present Danger. Based on a Tom Clancy book.

And speaking of books, that reminded me of a book called: Dogs of War. Wich they also made a movie of back in 1980.

Aaaand speaking about movies about Mercenaries: The Wild Geese (1978).

Aaaand speaking about war movies in Africa: The siege of Jadotville.

And just droping a few other titels. Check them out over at imdb.

Tears of the sun.

Commando.

6 days.

Sniper.

Fury.

We were Soldiers.

Saving private Ryan.

The thin red line.

Zero Dark Thirty.

Extraction.

Platoon.

Red Dawn. Theres both a new and old version.

12 strong.

13 hours.

The Outpost.

Restrepo.

Bravo Two Zero and The one that got away. Same event but from different persons perspective.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/2/2022 at 3:04 PM, Hendrix said:

Clear and Present Danger

The siege of Jadotville
13 hours
The Outpost

Isn't Clear and Present Danger with Harrison Ford?

I do like that era of action movie. They we're a little over the top, but not like todays over-the-top stuff... that is REALLY over-the-top. I don't know if you even understand what I mean, oh well. 😅

I really like those other movies you mentionned. Sure they are action movies, but they have less of a "Hollywood" feel than like Tears of The Sun (although I sort of liked it too).

I'll have to dig up the names, but at one point I did watch a few very good Korean and Chinese war/political movies in those types (I don't mind subtitles).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Some great movies here! It's refreshing to see no one has mentioned the overrated John Wick movies.

I can think of 2 fairly tactical movies that haven't been mentioned yet.

Den of Thieves (2018)

Way of the Gun (2000)

• Thanks 1

On 7/23/2022 at 4:28 PM, Biff said:

Some great movies here! It's refreshing to see no one has mentioned the overrated John Wick movies.

I can think of 2 fairly tactical movies that haven't been mentioned yet.

Den of Thieves (2018)

Way of the Gun (2000)

I'm constantly bombarded with comments like: "Wow!! you haven't seen John Wick!!" "It will blow your mind" "Best action movies ever!"...

So I started watching the first movie about a month ago... 20 minutes in, I couldn't stand it anymore..

My recent "military-esque" movies that stood out for me:

Mosul
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9252468/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Steel Rain
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6769508/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Actually, STEEL RAIN has become among one of my favorite movies; it has a balanced amount of suspense, action, martial arts... and a hint of humour!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Raid On Entebbe (1976)

Act Of Valour (2012)

Who Dares Wins (a.k.a. The Final Option) (1982)

I thought Proof Of Life (2000) had a good rescue mission for the film's finale. Also, surprisingly for the kind of film it was, Bad Boys 2 had a finale that contained some Close Quarters Battle-styled manoeuvres in there. However, other than the above films I mentioned, the other classics have already been described in earlier posts (Heat and Way Of The Gun). The old-school WWII movies such as Where Eagles Dare and Kelly's Heroes are favourites of mine as well.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Могу посоветовать фильм 2022 года "Лучшие в аду". Возможно он только на русском, но думаю, можно и без перевода смотреть, субтитров точно хватит, чтобы понять происходящее. Особого смысла там нет, но много современной тактической войны, стрельбы. Есть на youtube.

(yandex translate)

I can recommend the 2022 film "The Best in Hell". Perhaps it's only in Russian, but I think you can watch it without translation, there will definitely be enough subtitles to understand what is happening. It doesn't make much sense there, but there is a lot of modern tactical warfare, shooting. Available on youtube.

• 1 month later...