DevDiary 13 - Co-op mode & Mod support

THQN Roger

On 7/7/2023 at 9:09 PM, Haemimont_Vlad said:

We have nothing to announce regarding crossplatform play at present, but it is definitely on our radar.

Update! Yes, people on Steam will be able to play co-op with those on GOG. You can't use the "Invite Friend" functionality across platforms (as they don't share friendlists), but you can find each other's rooms in the browser or join via the room's join code (a unique 2-3 word string that is unique for each hosted room).

On 7/8/2023 at 5:52 PM, ninjalex said:

Can both players make an IMP or is it just the host? 

There can be only one AIM merc in the campaign. We went back and forth a couple of times on this, but ultimately I didn't want the singleplayer game to be differently balanced from the co-op one. IMP mercs are very powerful in that you can optimize them to fit what you need in terms of stats and perks, and their contracts don't expire. For those who want to play differently, modders will be able to figure out how to enable multiple IMPs.

19 hours ago, Goliath said:

embracing unexpected mechanisms as possible features and not bugs

Thanks for the kind words! Ultimately this is the best way to make a simulative, reactive, emergent game.

19 hours ago, Goliath said:

Will there be a possibility to have a VS or Deathmatch mode, where you can battle AGAINST your buddy

Modders might decide to tackle that, but there is no such mode coming on release. If there is community interest it might happen.

3 hours ago, ShadowMagic said:

We may assume we can also mod / remodel existing Mercs to make them represent their JA2 images much more?

Yeah, you can modify existing models, images, stat values of items, mercs and other content in the game.

On 7/8/2023 at 1:20 PM, Tobutron said:

I'm assuming we can make our own custom or unique (as far as "unique" goes) mercs using whatever in-game assets are available in the modding tool. How would we then be able to recruit them? 

They would automatically show up in the AIM browser if you mark them as AIM mercs, otherwise you would have to mod in a specific way of obtaining them.

On 7/8/2023 at 12:28 PM, bp_968 said:

If we have to rely on the publisher/developers to keep co-op servers available then eventually at some point they will get shut off and the co-op feature will go away with it!

I can't comment on what will happen in the far future. I wouldn't rule it out, and I wouldn't bet on it either. Let's cross that bridge when we get there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 9

5 hours ago, ShadowMagic said:

We may assume we can also mod / remodel existing Mercs to make them represent their JA2 images much more? (*cough* Magic, Shadow, Scope, Scully, Reaper etc *cough*). That would surely bring the much needed JA vibe to the game.

I'm talking out of my ass here, but I assume the merc portraits/full-body dialogue images are just transparent PNGs (or some proprietary format that can be converted from a transparent PNG), so the challenge will just be finding a replacement image of sufficient size and quality.

Changing their models will probably depend on whether you can find a model in-game whose pieces you like, since it appears we can modify models easily enough by swapping parts around.

• Like 1

When it comes to modding, something that bothers me greatly is the choice to go with incredibly specific style and high-resolution portraits.

Simpler "face only" portraits would have been easier to match in quality and scale by modders.

Using a close-up of the 3D render, while not perfect would eliminate the need for 2D portraits at all.

Instead, we got a solution that has all the possible flaws it could have:

1. it lacks the expressiveness of the small animated portraits of the previous games
  2. it is difficult to replace by a different style of portrait due to the technical requirements and prevalence in it's display
  3. it is difficult to replicate by modders, in a way that invites the use of AI generated art
Edited by Jaywalker

Omg, modding and 2 players coop... Can't ask for more... This time the preorder was a good idea, I mean, I've preordered just to celebrate the thousands of hours spent on JA2 anyway.
I was also ready to drop the game after a few hours without regrets if disappointed by the gameplay, but the official modding support open the way to beat my records for hours played in my steam library (got 2 titles above 2500 hours, it will be an hard fight amyway).
Can't wait for a new 1.13 mod with hundreds of guns, armors and LBE stuff!! 😄

• Like 1

Am really curious how we can upload merc, portraits & models into the game ? I mean we would need a model creating programme for it ? Or we can just edit & change them with a specific tool only ? Also if we make a model it needs to show in the game too, guess editing itself (especially the whole game, world) takes way longer time then playing the game.

Will we able to add our own voice lines as well when we create a character ? And some texts also for the enemies.

24 minutes ago, LoboNocturno said:

Am really curious how we can upload merc, portraits & models into the game ? I mean we would need a model creating programme for it ? Or we can just edit & change them with a specific tool only ? Also if we make a model it needs to show in the game too, guess editing itself (especially the whole game, world) takes way longer time then playing the game.

Will we able to add our own voice lines as well when we create a character ? And some texts also for the enemies.

From what I understand you can reuse existing models/characters and their parts from available asset library then change profile photo.

If you want your own model then Blender is your friend.

You can do voice over

Modders will have access to the tools we use internally to create content such as mercs, weapons, items, quests, voice responses, and can even add support for new languages.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Stuurminator said:

I'm talking out of my ass here, but I assume the merc portraits/full-body dialogue images are just transparent PNGs (or some proprietary format that can be converted from a transparent PNG), so the challenge will just be finding a replacement image of sufficient size and quality.

Changing their models will probably depend on whether you can find a model in-game whose pieces you like, since it appears we can modify models easily enough by swapping parts around.

@Haemimont_Vlad
I assume Haemimont is in possession of the original image files or able to obtain them through their buddy Ian.
Would surely help the modding community..

Come on guys, why always the need to citizize something, even if its actually a great awesome piece of offering?

Why worry about portraits using hi res images? 

Everybody can create whatever u dream of by using AI image generators. 

Want it animated and talking? 

There are apps that do even that. 

The age of AI is a miracle for the modders scene. 

Want a new merc modded in? 

You can reuse parts of the existing ones or produce your own with blender & co. 

So stop ur whining and show a lil more appreciation for a dev team that once in 3 decades manage to show the right attitide, ideas and approach to our lovechild! 

Will everything be perfect in each n every way right at launch? 

Of course not! 

I mean how would anybody be able to deliver on that? 

But what we see till now is the right direction, a lot of work that is done that opens possibilities for the future instead of restricting everything and delivering a closed product like others sadly did. 

@Devs: u guys are awesome

Edited by Goliath
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, Claypl said:

Welcome to age of spoiled people 😉 In the past you had to edit raw files, no problem, now you have editor, huge issues.

huh, yes to tweaks some weapons or mercs stats, notepad++ might do the the trick; perhaps to replace portrait any image editor can do the trick. Maybe it's still possible in JA3

But how do you think you can design a conversation or a map using raw files?

• Like 1

On 7/10/2023 at 12:17 PM, Haemimont_Vlad said:

Yeah, you can modify existing models, images, stat values of items, mercs and other content in the game.

May I kindly ask you about "other content"?

Will it be allowed to alter these?
A) skills
B) traits behaviour (not mercs' traits, but what traits do)
C) 50 % auto-weapon dmg reduction
D) UI components
E) AI behaviour (interrupt conditions, stealth system, first round reposition)
F) aiming behaviour (especially interested in getting rid of "miss can't hit other body part")

Answers of "yes / no / not now" will be enough for me. Not going to take more of your time. 🙂

Thank you if answered!

On 7/10/2023 at 12:17 PM, Haemimont_Vlad said:

There can be only one AIM merc in the campaign. We went back and forth a couple of times on this, but ultimately I didn't want the singleplayer game to be differently balanced from the co-op one. IMP mercs are very powerful in that you can optimize them to fit what you need in terms of stats and perks, and their contracts don't expire. For those who want to play differently, modders will be able to figure out how to enable multiple IMPs.

Pretty much as I expected. And agree that IMPs are very strong, so it is understandable. Anyways incredibly cool that you have made it COOP, that is so exciting to see how it plays out in the actual game!

Now it's just about recruiting friends to trying the game 😄

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Reloecc said:

May I kindly ask you about "other content"?

Will it be allowed to alter these?
A) skills
D) UI components
F) aiming behaviour (especially interested in getting rid of "miss can't hit other body part")

Answers of "yes / no / not now" will be enough for me. Not going to take more of your time. 🙂

Thank you if answered!

I'd say yes to all of the above, but most of these won't be easy. Only some of these things are editable through editors and are a matter of parameters, for everything else you'll need programming experience and knowledge of the Lua language to override/rewrite functions and add new ones.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Haemimont_Vlad said:

I'd say yes to all of the above, but most of these won't be easy. Only some of these things are editable through editors and are a matter of parameters, for everything else you'll need programming experience and knowledge of the Lua language to override/rewrite functions and add new ones.

Doesn't need to be easy 🙂. "Possible" is well enough. Great news. Little sad about the "lua" part, as we have more modern well suitable scripting langs today, but it is what it is, thank you very much!

21 minutes ago, Haemimont_Vlad said:

I did not expect these to be modifiable at all. Although at this point, I have no desire to modify them without having played the game first, just knowing that the possibility exists is quite amazing.

7 hours ago, MiserablePixels said:

PLEASE attempt to do it, then. My group is 3 players and we were all expecting/hoping for an IMP each and a 3P+ campaign. That was literally the basis for our group purchase.

Maybe Multi-IMPs with reduced Points will do it. 100% is there a Mod in some weeks

On 7/10/2023 at 6:17 AM, Haemimont_Vlad said:

Update! Yes, people on Steam will be able to play co-op with those on GOG. You can't use the "Invite Friend" functionality across platforms (as they don't share friendlists), but you can find each other's rooms in the browser or join via the room's join code (a unique 2-3 word string that is unique for each hosted room).

Thanks for the kind words! Ultimately this is the best way to make a simulative, reactive, emergent game.

Modders might decide to tackle that, but there is no such mode coming on release. If there is community interest it might happen.

They would automatically show up in the AIM browser if you mark them as AIM mercs, otherwise you would have to mod in a specific way of obtaining them.

I can't comment on what will happen in the far future. I wouldn't rule it out, and I wouldn't bet on it either. Let's cross that bridge when we get there.

I'm not sure I follow your statement here. What am not ruling out and what am I not betting on?  The way you've answered it your saying I shouldn't rule out your company going bust and co-op servers disappearing which doesn't seem like something a developer would usually say.

Are you saying "don't rule out players getting the dedicated server code?"  Because that makes way more sense (even if it is highly unlikely since I can only think of a handful of game companies that have ever done that, ever, at all).

On 7/16/2023 at 8:51 AM, bp_968 said:

I'm not sure I follow your statement here.

Sorry for the confusion. I meant I wouldn't rule out server code being released in the future, but I wouldn't bet on it neither.

With how moddable the game is we could see the community making their own server software as well.

• 3 weeks later...

So we shouldn't expect an official update on the inclusion of additional IMPs or expanded co-op player capacity? Or is that still an option? I don't see how offering that ability would negatively impact the game and yet it would make it MORE marketable and valuable to the demographic that want the capability to play 1-4P co-op, each with their own custom mercs.

If its a question of balance, as stated, then the difficulty scalability should be more than capable of offsetting that imbalance.. and we could simply play with the knowledge that things may be marginally 'easier' - that is, if the team doesn't want to implement some sort of scaling difficulty based on party size.