JA3 patch needed - urgent

marcinl0

On 7/17/2023 at 11:17 AM, ShadowMagic said:

The thing is, with JA3 they did not just stick with the good features from JA2 and improved the bad ones.  Some good features have been either left out or altered in such a way it is more of a frustration than an improvement now really (Overwatch instead of interruption, the inventory system)..

So you can't call this JA3 since it's more of an JA / Xcom / Wasteland / Tropico hybrid. It's clearly aimed at a wider audience than just those JA veterans like me that simply wished for an upgraded JA2.

Very well said but the game is good overall and surely fun. Does it need improvement ? Capital YES!

So hopefully if it gets some patches or a proper modding am sure the game will be way more fun.

It is actually quite surprising how so many mods have been created in such a short space of time, given that the game has only recently been released. Whether people like the game or not, or want improvements, it is testament to Haemimont for making the game easily moddable and right from the beginnings of its design.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Solaris_Wave said:

It is actually quite surprising how so many mods have been created in such a short space of time, given that the game has only recently been released. Whether people like the game or not, or want improvements, it is testament to Haemimont for making the game easily moddable and right from the beginnings of its design.

Yes it really surprised me as well, though they said the modding tools will be available after 3 to 4 weeks the release.

But how is it possible to mod ? Dont we need a modding programme, editor or so ?

Edited by LoboNocturno

So... you expect them to have an URGENT PATCH that includes every merc from every JA game with redrawn assets (ignoring there's some variance between JA titles and time has passed since JA2)? Huh.

It's not perfect (games rarely are on release) but it's very good - constructive criticism is great and useful, but some people are a bit hysterical / have unrealistic expectations

Regarding the modding part - you just need to unpack the .hpk files and look under the different .lua scripts and libraries for functions and other interesting tidbits.

It is interesting to read the code but not everyone will have the patience and knowledge to delve in such a way. Most of the mods have been able to simply add or modify a few lines of code, using pre-existing game assets and functions.

It is indeed a great sign that the game has been built in advance to be easy to modify and add new features. The mod tools I expect will have their own interface and automate the packing/unpacking of the .hpk files.

@marcinl0
Give it some time, possibly GoG is inspecting the patch before they upload it.

21/07/ 2023
Detailed changelog of Patch 1.02 (first patch):
There are more & bigger patches on the horizon.

COMBAT
Fixed issue where the melee attack icon wasn't greyed out in the UI when the merc doesn't have enough AP for attack but has free move.
Fixed issue where Entering inventory sometimes breaks deployment phase and setpiece

QUESTS
Fixed a crash at the end of the Twin Manors quest.
Fixed a problem with properly completing the combat in C7U
Fixed a situation where some enemies would not spawn in Old Diamond causing players to be stuck in conflict with no enemies.
Fixed issue where Chimurenga would disappear when he is about to retire. If you are already in D8, you need to reenter the sector from another sector for him to appear.
Fixed some cases in which the conversations with Boss Blaubert can start twice or reference things that have already happened
Fixed potential exploit where in a conversation that requires a specific item would progress successfully but not take the item if its not in the current squads inventory.

ART / FX
Fixed issue where during cutscenes on Ultrawide the Movie Black Bars would squeeze the image.

UI
Combine items now uses the most skilled merc in the sector (instead of the most skilled from the squad)
Fixed issue where the weapon rollover would show O dmg if it was in the sector stash;
Fix issue where repeatable emails (like for contract expiration) would not mark as read.
Fixed issue where Swapping single-slot weapons from inventory did not consume AP while in combat
Fixed camera zoom resetting when changing maps or exiting overview mode.
Enable scrolling in main menu when closing sub-sub menu. Example "Show merc badges" from the Options menu.

SAT VIEW / OPERATIONS / LOOT
Operations now refund crafting fee on cancel/abort

SYSTEM
Tuned Ultra shadows to have less heavy effect on FPS

MULTIPLAYER
Fixed lock up in reassigning mercs in co-op during deployment
[*] Fixed soft lock where Sat view retreat of retreated mercs wouldn't trigger when remaining mercs on the map died

Most important I think for me: that strategic JA3 can be played sensibly - like the legendary JA2.

My dream: JA3 -> improved better legendary JA2 (original, after almost thirty years).

Edited by marcinl0

You should be able to play games how you want to play them. This lack of ammo is either a flaw or a method to drag out the playing time. Wartales did the same. If it's supposed to be real why is it that enemy soldiers die all around me and yet yield nothing after the battle. How can an enemy rocket guy fire 12 rockets, how can anyone carry that amount. Yes I can stealth my way around a map killing with a knife and silenced weapon but if I have 50k in the bank why can't i buy ammo?

Just sayin'

• Like 2

The two things that bother me most are:

1) Heavily wounded enemies (and mercs) being able to run around like they're at full health. There is no stamina management at all.

2) Reality bending abilities like lightning reflexes. 100% guaranteed condition-free damage mitigation shouldn't exist.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, MateKiddleton said:

1) Heavily wounded enemies (and mercs) being able to run around like they're at full health. There is no stamina management at all.

I mentioned this very thing in one of the Developer Diaries. I thought it looked silly that anyone classed as 'Almost Dead' is able to run, roll and vault over things. Anybody in that state should be bleeding as standard and moving slower. More energetic moves should not be allowed.

The same applies to anybody at full health but tired. Less action points is one thing but nobody should be able to sprint around the map and perform more acrobatic moves if exhausted.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Solaris_Wave said:

I mentioned this very thing in one of the Developer Diaries. I thought it looked silly that anyone classed as 'Almost Dead' is able to run, roll and vault over things. Anybody in that state should be bleeding as standard and moving slower. More energetic moves should not be allowed.

I'll just add that apart from realism, in JA2 I really enjoyed the tactical decisions that came with it. Do I kill an already wounded handgun enemy nearby who would shoot due to low AP requirements, or do I instead wound the healthy sniper farther away who may be able to deal more damage unless I reduce their AP? How quickly can I get this well-armed, "strong" enemy down to at least "wounded"? And so on. I get that now we have more body parts to shoot at with similar effects, but I don't really find those effects to be noticeable enough.

1 hour ago, D13 said:

I'll just add that apart from realism, in JA2 I really enjoyed the tactical decisions that came with it. Do I kill an already wounded handgun enemy nearby who would shoot due to low AP requirements, or do I instead wound the healthy sniper farther away who may be able to deal more damage unless I reduce their AP? How quickly can I get this well-armed, "strong" enemy down to at least "wounded"? And so on. I get that now we have more body parts to shoot at with similar effects, but I don't really find those effects to be noticeable enough.

quick question though can we extend debuffs like slowed and inaccurate though? i mean without shooting? I know flashbangs are best to cause long term debuffs other than nades do we have any options?

2 hours ago, Solaris_Wave said:

I thought it looked silly that anyone classed as 'Almost Dead' is able to run, roll and vault over things. Anybody in that state should be bleeding as standard and moving slower. More energetic moves should not be allowed.

The same applies to anybody at full health but tired. Less action points is one thing but nobody should be able to sprint around the map and perform more acrobatic moves if exhausted.

Yep, stamina in JA3 is limited to overland travel/activities and in combat, only flashbangs seem to drain stamina (makes them suppressed/tired). Stamina management was a key part of JA1 and JA2, and is a key point of difference to other turn based tactical games, which is why I put it so high on the things that bother me list.

15 hours ago, Full English said:

You should be able to play games how you want to play them. This lack of ammo is either a flaw or a method to drag out the playing time. Wartales did the same. If it's supposed to be real why is it that enemy soldiers die all around me and yet yield nothing after the battle. How can an enemy rocket guy fire 12 rockets, how can anyone carry that amount. Yes I can stealth my way around a map killing with a knife and silenced weapon but if I have 50k in the bank why can't i buy ammo?

Just sayin'

That's because the replayability factor of this game is close to 0. There is just one optimal way in which you complete sectors (stealth sniping) to keep losses at a minimum and yield maximum results.

This is simply poor writing and game programming, no matter in what way hyped fanboys try to bend it.

In many ways Tropico Alliance is a pretty simplified version of JA2. Then again, this game is not a pure JA game but a game that shares similarities with JA1 and JA2 and many peeps (or is it just a marketing troll army from THQ?) seem to be happy about it.

Either way just waiting for the price to drop and mods becoming available that give us decent Merc portraying. If it was for me, the same speech lines, images and voice recordings of JA2 are transferred. 

At least I would be happy to see enemy have issues with ammo too. Then we could use new tactics of baiting enemy into shooting at us with low CtH and also it would increase play variety as enemies with AR and SMG would start using single shots sometimes.

Edited by sandman25dcsss
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, sandman25dcsss said:

At least I would be happy to see enemy have issues with ammo too. Then we could use new tactics of baiting enemy into shooting at us with low CtH and also it would increase play variety as enemies with AR and SMG would start using single shots sometimes.

you are asking for smarter AI in general. Difficulty of this game is based on cheating AI and game cutting off your resources

1 minute ago, Skaldy said:

you are asking for smarter AI in general. Difficulty of this game is based on cheating AI and game cutting off your resources

Yes, I am just dreaming. I recall someone said that devs confirmed they had time issues and couldn't implement everything they wanted.

9 minutes ago, sandman25dcsss said:

Yes, I am just dreaming. I recall someone said that devs confirmed they had time issues and couldn't implement everything they wanted.

i wonder what did they add though? if they cant even do surface level core stuff, what did they do with development time