I'm deeply disappointed and here's why

Mancho

On 5/3/2023 at 11:39 AM, Xeth Nyrrow said:

Fog reducing damage and not just accuracy, burst/auto fire making bullets magically half damage and stray shots not being able to hit other parts of the same target are some really bad balancing mechanisms they need to seriously rethink.

Can you speak more about the fog thing? I haven't seen or heard of this before.

21 minutes ago, agris said:

Can you speak more about the fog thing? I haven't seen or heard of this before.

This was discussed again on the stream that ended 2 hours ago but they said they did it as a way to balance the damage of burst/auto fire being too strong. In their testing they said the meta was to just run up point blank and burst/auto enemies down. They said they tried other balancing methods but didn't like the results.

Also mentioned is that they are open to changes/balancing after the game launches. I think the bigger issue is that the game allows you to be able to run up to enemies so easily to be able to use burst/auto in the first place. Maybe they need better overwatch mechanics to fix this.

On 4/30/2023 at 8:57 PM, Solaris_Wave said:

Maybe one way of seeing those perks as feasible is that they could be considered an adrenaline rush. That perk has been used often in RPGs, where your character gains some kind of boost when their health falls to a critical level. In the real world, adrenaline can give you a short-term boost in certain ways. The only difference is that you feel more tired afterwards when it wears off. In a game, you can simply consume a health pack or food and you are instantly ready to go again.

Adrenaline could also be applied to getting shot. Either that or being on some kind of narcotic. I am not saying your mercs should be able to take such things but there have been police reports, which I have read, where they question their weapons and ammunition, because someone under the influence was still standing and fighting after receiving multiple bullet and shotgun wounds. While they were certainly going to be incapacitated or killed from those hits in the very near future, it was not considered fast enough as they were still able to shoot back.

There are African and Middle Eastern plants such as Khat that the user will chew on, giving them a feeling of euphoria and at times invulnerability. It wouldn't be out of place for JA3's enemies to be consuming that drug to make some of the soldiers fearless. They could charge your positions, refuse to flee and even last an extra turn after being considered 0% health.

After reading this it reminded me directly to this scene in Jagged Alliance RAGE. The black mercs in JA RAGE had some nice quotes imo and their voice acting was also not so bad.

So it would suit to JA3 perfectly.

JA RAGE - Prisoner & Pill Scene 01.jpg

JA RAGE - Prisoner & Pill Scene 02.jpg

JA RAGE - Prisoner & Pill Scene 03.jpg

Edited by LoboNocturno

18 minutes ago, Xeth Nyrrow said:

This was discussed again on the stream that ended 2 hours ago but they said they did it as a way to balance the damage of burst/auto fire being too strong. In their testing they said the meta was to just run up point blank and burst/auto enemies down. They said they tried other balancing methods but didn't like the results.

Also mentioned is that they are open to changes/balancing after the game launches. I think the bigger issue is that the game allows you to be able to run up to enemies so easily to be able to use burst/auto in the first place. Maybe they need better overwatch mechanics to fix this.

Got it. Yeah, one thing that's stuck out at me since I first started to see videos is the scale of combat encounters. They seem much smaller, more cramped, than the open maps of Arulco.

I didn't catch the first part of the stream, did they talk about the fog thing? That's the strangest one for me, why reduce damage to enemies off screen?

17 minutes ago, agris said:

Got it. Yeah, one thing that's stuck out at me since I first started to see videos is the scale of combat encounters. They seem much smaller, more cramped, than the open maps of Arulco.

I didn't catch the first part of the stream, did they talk about the fog thing? That's the strangest one for me, why reduce damage to enemies off screen?

The maps are smaller but I don't think its the worst thing in the world

1 hour ago, agris said:

You can watch the whole thing here. There go in to a good bit of detail about it: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1811204423

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/4/2023 at 7:29 PM, Xeth Nyrrow said:

This. Or running is too strong. Sounds weird but just imagine how often you can pull the trigger or run 10 meters. I get that you need your mercs to be able to change position during one turn and not just do 2 or 3 steps, but it would be more realistic. Seems like a realistic depiction is not always the most enjoyable way to play a game and then the balancing starts. I can totally understand that it’s not easy, but hope they find a solution for this (or a good idea from the community). The problem with the current solution might be that it renders burst/Auto almost useless. Is the hit chance better for 3 bullets than only with 1 aimed bullet or is the hit or miss calculation the same?

3 hours ago, DonBilbo said:

This. Or running is too strong. Sounds weird but just imagine how often you can pull the trigger or run 10 meters. I get that you need your mercs to be able to change position during one turn and not just do 2 or 3 steps, but it would be more realistic. Seems like a realistic depiction is not always the most enjoyable way to play a game and then the balancing starts. I can totally understand that it’s not easy, but hope they find a solution for this (or a good idea from the community). The problem with the current solution might be that it renders burst/Auto almost useless. Is the hit chance better for 3 bullets than only with 1 aimed bullet or is the hit or miss calculation the same?

Movement in turn based games is usually very exaggerated as it would be boring to play if not. This gets compounded if there's little consequence to running around so freely which is my concern.

I wonder if the misses that hit other body parts doing no damage is a side effect of full auto being OP. Just seems to be they broke the game in so many ways to try and ad full auto. Like the overwatch system would probably be good enough if there wasn't a constant threat of mercs running up and blasting full auto all the time.

3 minutes ago, Xeth Nyrrow said:

I wonder if the misses that hit other body parts doing no damage is a side effect of full auto being OP.

I think I read they were concerned that players would be confused if they "missed" and hit another part of the enemy anyway. When I read that, I thought, "Surely Jagged Alliance players are smarter than that," but that was before I registered on this forum.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Stuurminator said:

I think I read they were concerned that players would be confused if they "missed" and hit another part of the enemy anyway. When I read that, I thought, "Surely Jagged Alliance players are smarter than that," but that was before I registered on this forum.

I remember seeing someone this but it makes more sense they did it for balancing reasons. Unfortunately it makes half the reason to aim at a torso pointless.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Xeth Nyrrow said:

I remember seeing someone this but it makes more sense they did it for balancing reasons. Unfortunately it makes half the reason to aim at a torso pointless.

I found that strange as well when reading it. But I also I remember that one of the leading  devs said they will consider changing that. So there’s hope. 

On 4/27/2023 at 1:44 PM, Solaris_Wave said:

I am happy to see perks which, as @anon474 says, gives a boost to stats but some others seem somewhat cartoonish, such as throwing two grenades at once, or better at knife throwing after getting drunk. It is too early to say though, without seeing a larger amount of them.

Throwing 2 grenades, yeah, after I saw that I was very doubtful if it delivers that powerful JA2 vibe.

On 4/27/2023 at 11:03 PM, Grim said:

Lunokhod, is it your second account?

No, just another voice of hundreds JA fans.

I hoped it'll be some kind of remastering 1.13 with much better graphics and may be a little simplified gameplay for newcomers.

1.13 has tons of interesting and smart mechanics which were tested and polished by years.