Jagged Alliance 3 Tactical Edition

Wigen

This a article about it I found from this morning:

https://www.worthplaying.com/article/2023/5/4/news/137055-jagged-alliance-3-planned-for-summer-2023-gets-collectors-edition-trailer/

"The Tactical Edition is available for pre-order now at an SRP of € 129.99 / £ 114.99 and will release along with the game this summer."

Says it's going to release this summer, could be around same time as THQ showcase.

41 minutes ago, Wigen said:

This is incredible! Thank you THQ Nordic and Haemimont Games! 😍

Lunch box with JA logo, cheap belt pouch and cards with hideous art. Yes, thats really INCREDIBLE! Thank u Mr THQ Nordic!

• Like 1

I don't hate the devs or JA, but this looks like very very average "bought from alibaba" products with a Jagged Alliance sticker slapped on top of it.

The only thing that looks half good imo is the pouch with jagged alliance logo.

Edited by KyleSimmons

I'm not sure the game is known enough for a 129€ package.

Concerning what is inside, THQ/Haemimont Games went far to get a little, while they had the gold at their feet. The card idea is not that bad, but they could make it a book including all the profiles of all the mercs included in JA since the first. Beyond mere cards, they could fully update their background and history. The same for AIM. The advantage would be to start working on the background of the game for upcoming release, they could include all the concept art they have. For sure this would be for fans.

Now, what about others, I'm not sure a waterproof box is that enticing. So what? Still about the cards, they could try to make it a game (it easy to copy Pokemon/magic rules structure and adapt them to merc world). Maybe a strategic approach where Jagged Alliance is more tactical. They could even make a TTRPG from it, to take advantage of other's dynamic, they could use D&D5 rules as an engine (the movie's just released, who knows). You just need a game designer for that, that's very easy (I'm from that world, and it wouldn't be hard to find and get).

This to say they had to start from: "we don't have money" (and that's not a shame), and from there see what do we have already people want. To print a book, and a card game would not be that expensive. You'd just need a good book and a card game. If you wanted to go further, add a steelbook case for the game.

Again, I'm sure they did what they could, but it was possible to provide much more with a lower cost. Now, alea jacta es! I wish it'll work like this.

Pretty cool CE, and quite a nice price.

When I read the first lines I already thought like "do they also pull a Baldurs Gate 3 now and want 500 bucks for it?"

But the price for 130€ is very reasonable imho. Also...it does include the game - which is also something not very common anymore. ^^

Would have wished for a cloth map though.

4 hours ago, KyleSimmons said:

This a article about it I found from this morning:

https://www.worthplaying.com/article/2023/5/4/news/137055-jagged-alliance-3-planned-for-summer-2023-gets-collectors-edition-trailer/

"The Tactical Edition is available for pre-order now at an SRP of € 129.99 / £ 114.99 and will release along with the game this summer."

Says it's going to release this summer, could be around same time as THQ showcase.

129 Euros for all the stuff ? Then its very cheap for sure. Must buy!

I pre ordered already, on Amazon says it will be available end of december 2023. Hopefully it will come by summer 2023 as THQ mentioned. Would not able to play the game anyway with CD, as today modern laptops doesnt have a CD driver. But as a collectible its a life time memory.🔥🔥🔥

1 minute ago, Alpha said:

The Box came with a date, even the Basegame is listed there (39,99€ and 31.12.23)

Thats just a dummy date retailers already used before.

In the announcement they mentioned that its going to be released this summer

Just now, Kordanor said:

Thats just a dummy date retailers already used before.

In the announcement they mentioned that its going to be released this summer

Ahh ok cool! But the price is nice, compared to most games at 59€ or more ... 

I wish great enjoyment to those who bought this CE.
I would have bought one if the content was interesting to me. Sadly, I didn't find those goodies at my taste.
Image Miroir mentions a few ways this could have gotten more interesting, adding something one could not find elsewhere.
The collection cards could have been something of interest, however they offer nothing more than basic info and portrait you can find in the game. They could have contained special intel, hints about them, or present like a "file", helping the player to choose his team. Or be a card game in itself with stats to play with, or be part of a role playing game or anything.

Collector's editions should be made by dev teams, not marketing teams. They need passion, detail, intellectual value more than gadget value, much like old game boxes filled with info dense manuals, maps, cyphers and whatnot.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Grim said:

I wish great enjoyment to those who bought this CE.
I would have bought one if the content was interesting to me. Sadly, I didn't find those goodies at my taste.
Image Miroir mentions a few ways this could have gotten more interesting, adding something one could not find elsewhere.
The collection cards could have been something of interest, however they offer nothing more than basic info and portrait you can find in the game. They could have contained special intel, hints about them, or present like a "file", helping the player to choose his team. Or be a card game in itself with stats to play with, or be part of a role playing game or anything.

Collector's editions should be made by dev teams, not marketing teams. They need passion, detail, intellectual value more than gadget value, much like old game boxes filled with info dense manuals, maps, cyphers and whatnot.

I think the issue with collector's editions is that the people who procure them aren't in touch with their player bases at all and aren't gamers themselves. They probably have never purchased a collector's edition of a game either. Part of the reason is companies that make these things, "have a deal" on something that's unrelated (like a box). But to the buyer, a great deal is a great deal! Ironically the JA3 t-shirts are almost a no brainer and should have been in every collector's edition box.

Music bands make a bunch of money off their t-shirts and stickers and it seems to me games could get in on this by selling game branded stuff like this for extra money quite easily. Imagine if they sold minis of all the mercs from the game, they could have made a a nice sum doing that. Also popular are collectables that do something such as a small, JA3 branded laser pointer shaped like a gun that activates with a trigger pull.

While T-Shirts are easy to produce (such as everything in the box) they have the disadvantage of different sizes.

Personally I am not a fan of stickers and postcards as you wont be able to do anything with them.

Figures on the other hand are extremely specific and not that cheap to produce.

Imho the CE isn't the best in the world. There is no particular item I find especially awesome, but I think the price is right, and it does fit well into a display in the shelves. The box seems to have about the right size to fit next to bigger Big Boxes.
Only issue I see there is that it does not have any branding on the side...so if you have it stashed to big boxes its just a piece of blastic. That also had been an issue with the Torment: Numenera Big Box, which on the sides was just 100% black, making it an anonymous black box, which is quite a shame (and especially with a cardboard box a massive design flaw).

What I would have liked most is actually a high quality cloth map. Thats relatively easy to produce, it's practical, and you can also use it as great showcase. Like with this Map of Drakensang River of Time.

http://ndnw.net/no-hp-stuff/drakensang-map.jpg
Ofc there are also horrible examples. Like the super cheap dragon age origins map.

That said, I think the box will fit well into my collection.

Edited by Kordanor