What will be your first team?

I'm sure anyone on this board has checked out at least a few JA3 videos and have some idea what mercenaries are coming to JA3. Given that, I'm sure many of us already have our starting team in mind.

Who is everyone planning to field? I'm thinking of checking out the more affordable new faces - Omryn, Livewire, and Kalyna - but I've also got an eye on Mouse, since a dedicated sneak might be fun.

I'm also flirting with a strange for my IMP. In JA1, the first local recruit you're offered is Elio, who can't shoot worth a damn but has impressive physical stats and is pretty handy with a knife. I might do something similar with my IMP, dropping marksmanship to build a dedicated melee character, since no one in AIM seems to fill that role.

How about all of you?

• Like 1

I always went for a covert operative style of character, handy for stealth missions and with martial arts skills. I would possibly do something different this time but when I played JA2, I always chose the same portrait, the same name and the same setup. Unlike me, I chose a female I.M.P. and favoured the MP5SD when I could get my hands on it. Also, by late game, if Sci-fi mode was off (which also dictates the weapons) and I was playing vanilla JA2, my custom merc would use the Steyr AUG, even if the others moved over to the C7.

• Like 1

The most recent JA game I played was Back In Action (it was flawed, but still enjoyable thanks to an excellent overhaul mod). I will try to pick mercs that were not included in that game as my main focus, at least for my first team. Of course having my own custom IMP character will be very welcome as well.

Does anyone know of a list of the Mercs that are confirmed to be in JA3? I remember seeing them in a video, but I don't recall which of the beta previews it was.

Hmm...

Initially I would have gone with Wolf, Fox and Grizzly, + IMP.

But having seen some gameplay I belive a more Wasteland-ish approach is the "best way" to go and have a skill-diversed team.

So currently I think I will go with: Barry, Fox or MD and a merc with high Mechanic (Steroid makes sense but I don't like him), + IMP. The IMP would be high in leadership and combat effective stats and very low mechanical, medic and explosives.

Once money is good, I would expand the team with either 1 heavy hitter such as Ivan/Shadow/Reaper/Len or maybe 2 mid range ones such as Ice and Wolf. Kinda think 1 really good merc makes more sense and leaves 1 position open in the first squad.

Another idea I had for a starting team is Thor and Fidel and a IMP with high Mechanic skills.

It depends if MERC is from the beginning.

I will go for inexpensive merc team at the beginning picking from recruit.

Also for IMP I would try a wololo talker....after all it is supposed to be the leader. But I am not sure it is possible: max skills was capped to 85 in JA2.

@Hendrix Fox, Grizzly, Shadow, Wolf all have likes for each other so it would be a team with high morale, Bull (too bad he is missing, he was 1 of the best cheapest mercs in JA2 and had a real soldier attitude) & Nails would suit in to this team as well.

For my 2.team & 3.team i would also take in Grizzly, Shadow, Igor, Magic, Raider, Reaper etc....

Am not a huge fan to take too many mercs though especially from A.I.M., back in Jagged Alliance 2 i enjoyed those RPC`s more with Miguel, Dimitri, Duncan, Hamous, Slay and sometimes also with Iggy & Conrad Gillit.

Hope there will be several RPC`s also in JA3 as we already saw a few with Flay, Pierre, Bastien, Deedee Bombastic etc....

I am now thinking that I would love to see some modded mercs from movies, especially from the 80s. Chuck Norris' James Braddock from Missing In Action, John Matrix and Bennett from Commando. You've then got movies like The Dogs Of War and Wild Geese. I should imagine that with some of those characters, like Matrix, Braddock or even John Rambo, you would see if you could play the whole campaign with just one character.

Who would want Bennett on their team when they find he likes to go trigger happy and kill everything in sight. 🤪

Plus, he would laugh at all the militia that you trained, when they try and act tough.

If Matrix was there, he'd laugh too.

Edited by Solaris_Wave
  • Haha 1