Do you think the Devs frequent this forum?

Low_K

I find the lack of official input a bit worrying. I get flashbacks of "End State", a very promising Jagged Alliance remake which was unfortunately abandoned by the Dev team.

I noticed that the community manager Brad was last seen visiting these forums last Friday, but I don't know if there even are Dev accounts on this forum. I enjoy bantering between us fans, but some official input would be welcome, some confirmation that they are aware 🙂

Maybe Brad could shed some light on this? Us die-hard fans need some official straws 😄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

End State isn't officially cancelled, you just don't hear much from the developer. Its still being worked on, phosphorus hired some manager to help, but I agree... its very quiet with that game.

Edited by Acid

In my opinion Devs will not contribute to the forum, perhaps only to provide information about some updates or progress with the game.

I think they reading mostly everything for sure and maybe gathering the best ideas and solutions.

It's their money, their licence, their game and they will create their own vision of this game. Every previous version: Back in Action, JA Online, Flashback and Rage ended the same way. No matter what and where we said or wrote, each of these games were made by Devs vision.

The question is: It will be different this time? I do not think so.

I remember what was happening on the forums when Ja Back in Action and JA Online were building. If Devs were not contributing on the forum at that time and wasting time to ansering mostly on every question and topic, then we would have many more additional features in these games.

Edited by Inveris
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Low_K said:

I find the lack of official input a bit worrying.

3 hours ago, Inveris said:

In my opinion Devs will not contribute to the forum, perhaps only to provide information about some updates or progress with the game.

Yes, I have come to think of this forum more as a location they can MAYBE look and see if we complain of banter about some features from the reveal/gameplay video... but otherwise, Heamimont Games is NOT an indie dev team that will be looking for our input.

I am pretty certain they have their goals, plans and path laid ahead of them and they are simply working at getting to the finish line.

Seeing how "advanced" the game seems in the trailers, leads me to think most of the games choices are already decided and they simply made a location for fans to gather and maybe to help know what kind of DLC's they can make in the future.

While we, myself included, want to feel like we know our JA2 business and want to offer our wisdom 🤣.... I don't think they care to hear it. Or at least, not until they decide they want to know what kind of "things" we want to pay for to add to the game once it is complete. 🤮

• Like 1

I don't know the Dev team, but I can imagine if I were in their shoes, I'd frequent the forum on my lunch breaks or when I have some time for myself during the day. Just to browse. But they have a Community Manager who does frequently visit the forum.

Some official input would mean a lot, at least for me. And maybe Brad can reach out to the Devs that there are some people here with some fresh new ideas which will make this game a great success(or). 😉

1 hour ago, Low_K said:

I don't know the Dev team, but I can imagine if I were in their shoes, I'd frequent the forum on my lunch breaks or when I have some time for myself during the day. Just to browse. But they have a Community Manager who does frequently visit the forum.

I'm not certain what you do for work, so I cannot speak for you... but I can assure you that when my breaks and lunchtime come around, the last thing I want to think about is work, or anything work-related.

I'm pretty certain that employees do what they have to and work is work. They aren't FANS of JA like you or me.. they are simply paying bills and planning thigns with family and friends.

The last thing I'd ever want, is for someone to come talking to me about my jobs (even if I have some very interesting jobs/work) after work hours.

Inveris has a point. We could expect (demand) developers engaged in the forum back when we were backers. No-one said devs WILL take part of this discussions. But shouldn't they?

7 hours ago, Inveris said:

I think they reading mostly everything for sure and maybe gathering the best ideas and solutions

I really doubt it. There should be way too much to read if this community ever picks up.

Two major approaches to selling games today are nostalgia and hype. By not developing a strong community they would miss out on both. I'm not that concerned with the lack of dev input, as much as the lack of community around this newly announced title. Registered members on here are less than the number of JA communities I've heard about. The devs are failing to combine JA's fan base and demonstrate basic comprehension of previous installments.

Of course, they won't be coming here for ideas, but a little reassurance that they know what we are talking about could go a long way.

2 hours ago, GODSPEED said:

They aren't FANS of JA like you or me

I hope they have a couple. Otherwise this hasn't got the slightest chance of success.

There should be a guy OR a team whose lunch time should be a break from this forum to be honest. And no, Brad isn't a Bulgarian name (then again neither is SWi74). I suspect the guy might not have anything to do with JA or/and the dev team. He might only be responsible for setting up a forum.

I disagree with the notion that the Devs wouldn't want to browse the forum in their lunch breaks or in their free time. I work in Security so I don't have any incentive to read up on forums as there really isn't much to tell about my job. I can imagine if you are part of creating something, you are interested in what other people think. Be it only to get new enthousiasm for your project. I think the Devs actually like their jobs so doubt they quit it the minute they get off. I know from other forums that Devs do read the forums and sometimes even reply. If not, the Community Managers will.

No, I don't think the Community Manager here is Bulgarian. I suspect he is appointed by THQ but I highly doubt that he has not any contact with the Devs.

But without any official confirmation of anything it is all guess-work.

5 hours ago, Low_K said:

I can imagine if you are part of creating something, you are interested in what other people think. Be it only to get new enthousiasm for your project. I think the Devs actually like their jobs so doubt they quit it the minute they get off.

Haemimont Games isn't an indie dev. They have some pretty big games under their belts!

Like any bigger studio, they have a creative director who makes the decisions. Just look at ANY of their games. HG have their own style and identity, they definitely do NOT need the input from a few JA2 fanatics.

I work in a creative field, and the LAST thing you want when being creative, is the input from each and every person. That just becomes depressing, because no one is ever happy with anything.

Anyways, just looking at how advanced in production they are from the screenshots and gameplay reveal, I'm pretty certain, like any dev team out there, they have their work cutout for them and they couldn't care less for what a few of us say.

These things were all decided well before even starting development.

They simply created an area for fans to gather and eventually it will give them clues what to create for DLC's, which is the sad part of modern gaming.

On 9/28/2021 at 1:43 AM, Inveris said:

I think they reading mostly everything for sure and maybe gathering the best ideas and solutions.

It's their money, their licence, their game and they will create their own vision of this game. Every previous version: Back in Action, JA Online, Flashback and Rage ended the same way. No matter what and where we said or wrote, each of these games were made by Devs vision.

The question is: It will be different this time? I do not think so.

I remember what was happening on the forums when Ja Back in Action and JA Online were building. If Devs were not contributing on the forum at that time and wasting time to ansering mostly on every question and topic, then we would have many more additional features in these games.

If they are fans of Jagged Alliance like we are, then they should already know what makes a good Jagged Alliance game. But it helps if they read our posts they might see something they forgot about, or could use in the game.

7 hours ago, GODSPEED said:

Anyways, just looking at how advanced in production they are from the screenshots and gameplay reveal, I'm pretty certain, like any dev team out there, they have their work cutout for them and they couldn't care less for what a few of us say.

There is a discussion on Steam too, I do not know how it is on Discord, but at the moment, there are literally a few of us here or there. Perhaps the reason is that the game has just been announced and there will be more and more people until the premiere. But right now we are such a small representation that as you said, it makes no sense to worry about us at all.

We will see how things get going in the future when the Devs provide more info about the direction of the game.

Of course in my opinion, it should be quite the opposite with Devs contribution to the fans or just people who wants to buy it, but the situation at the moment is what it is.

Edited by Inveris
  • Like 1

Aaand activity dropped to 0. 😄

Of course they're not gonna read the forum to get ideas, it's their job to know better than us.

However, if they don't manage this community it will die faster than it took to set it up. Why would anyone be here if there is no dev input what so ever? Why not talk about JA in other older, better developed, better managed forums?

I think sometimes you have to ask at the source and I asked the main CTO on the TT of the main CTO if they often visit the official forum dedicated to the game and today I got a reply (actually two answers).

Screenshot_20210929_144657.jpg

Edited by Wigen
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Low_K said:

I don't have any social media stuff...

Anti-social(media) here too.. It's already a step up that I am active on a forum 😂.

Well, thank you for those posts... I'm anxious for them to pitch in and correct us in our assumptions and also alleviate some of our worries.

12 hours ago, SWi74 said:

Aaand activity dropped to 0. 😄

If you mean the last few days?... yeah. I'm excited for JA3 as much as the next crazy nutjob fan.. but I guess there is so much assumptions I like making.. and I guess same goes for many as well.

I'd rather know what is what and then pitch in with the devs... although everyone here has been a very good fun to chat with.

20 hours ago, Low_K said:

Thanks @Wigen! Great news! I don't have any social media stuff so I had hopes someone could reach out to some official channel. Thanks again for you Twitter-sleuthing!

That's a good thing in these times, keeps your mind clear of all the crap out there. I stopped using FB, twitter.. I still look at censor tube though, probably too much.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm starting thinking, that their vacation was so superb and awesome, that they decided to extend them until christmas🙂

I hope they come back sooner, because setting up this official forum without any response from the Devs is so pointless.