The most difficult enemy of Africa to deal with.

Carmine

There are a lot of really reeeaaally interesting true facts about these 'cute' animals..๐Ÿ˜†

But as we are here for Cartoons, just one:

Do you remember the degenerated punkstyled hyenas we're characterized in Kings of Liar? Together with their (black) leader Scar they became neonazis.

Originally meant to be funny? but also a good example, how racism, xenophobia, homophobia, and even anti-disability was possible in modern popculture/childmovies.

Like another "great" Disney-Studios failure created the lemmings HOAX.

For Jagged anyway, mercs should know, they can bite a bone into, very easily..

So enemies wont need an FAL, any longer ๐Ÿ˜Š

Edited by 5Cents

2 hours ago, LoboNocturno said:

ย 

That's all nice and good until this beautiful girl get pissed off for late dinner and bite off your face .. Just saying that hyenas will be horrible drivers .. on plus side it could make them vicious killin machines, untapped potential I guessย  ..

6 hours ago, LoboNocturno said:

Guess then you also didnt saw all the weird characters (NPCs) that comes along the way in the 12 hours gameplay.ย ๐Ÿ˜

If they are remotely close to the overdone AIM character showcase,ย  I rather not see.

ย 

Anyways, where is the fun in playing the game if you already see everything?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GODSPEED said:

If they are remotely close to the overdone AIM character showcase,ย  I rather not see.

ย 

Anyways, where is the fun in playing the game if you already see everything?

Believe me they are way more cartoony then the AIM Mercs.

ย 

Not everything but i think i saw already %25 - 30 of JA3. Even when i will finish the game, i will still playing it several times with the same passion as it will different gameplays and possibly different out comes, lets see.

ย 

1 more week !!!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LoboNocturno said:

Believe me they are way more cartoony then the AIM Mercs.

^ That was my biggest fear for this 'remake'.

I can take different mechanics (actually enjoyed Back in Action), art styles (I did complete Flashback ๐Ÿคฎ). I would enjoy a game, even if many many things are changed, you WILL hear me complain. But I will give it a fair chance.

The one thing I have NO patience for; characters. If I'm playing the game, and the characters all feel super cheesy, too over-the-top and too cartoon-like. It will be dead in the water for me. The things I hate most is playing and constantly hearing some really stupid one-liners that feel extremely goofy.. nope, sorry! Forced humour is a show-stopper for me.

• Like 2

Wait, you do understand you play the role of the boss? If any character piss you off, you can fire them. If you think about it, they were written that way. Some characters were racist, some were useless, some required more training than others, Ira's voice was annoying but you needed her and it was like slow torture, etc. You can only hire 20, maybe fewer if you have a smaller budget.

17 minutes ago, D13 said:

Based on what I've seen, I don't think it will be a huge problem. JA2 had many such mercs and a few NPCs but after a while we got used to them (or simply avoided them).

13 minutes ago, Uncle Nick said:

Wait, you do understand you play the role of the boss? If any character piss you off, you can fire them. If you think about it, they were written that way. Some characters were racist, some were useless, some required more training than others, Ira's voice was annoying but you needed her and it was like slow torture, etc. You can only hire 20, maybe fewer if you have a smaller budget.

No Way!!! <-- Sorry, couldn't help but be sarcastic (in a friendly manner).

A very few characters in JA2 are what I consider over-the-top (within the context of a video game, naturally!!). Steroid, for myself is a little grating after some time. Ira never bothered me, always play with her, even after quite some time. Sure, the whole Deidranna slapping Elliot thing is a little foolish.. but that happens only a handful of times in the game and I guess the fact it happens very few times means it doesn't feel forced or overdone.

Very few characters have the modern equivalent of over-the-top one-liners. Actually, if you go over most one-liners characters say in JA2, they are pretty grounded. What I mean by my initial comment, is the way modern entertainment (movies & games) seem to be filled with incessant one-liners that try to be too funny, when they really aren't. So many games now with voiced protagonists that continually say the stupidest crap, filled with characters around you that just say the stupidest crap. Most characters in JA2 aren't trying to be funny. It's usually a simple remark on something they like/dislike, often tied with a personality or trait they have.

Sure a few of them oddballs are maybe a little more flamboyant than others, but even those, are far and few in between. As an example, Steroid was the one over-the-top character for myself. But in a little bit of a charming way. Wtv, I'd just make do with his Arnold impersonation. Now, what the heck did they do with him? Whatever stupid phrase he says before he's about the punch a guy (and he was never portrayed as a hand-to-hand type). Or Meltdown... she now sounds goofy as heck!

I just hope they didn't give that overdone treatment to all the mercs. The humour in JA2 is very subtle, not really meant to make you laugh, but many situations will provide you with that chuckle.
ย 

On 7/7/2023 at 7:53 PM, Stuurminator said:

How about hyenas driving technicals?

Hyenas hunting in packs and realising the affordability and durability of a pickup truck, with a mounted heavy machine gun, as a necessary step up in their role as predators sounds really disconcerting!

13 hours ago, GODSPEED said:

I just hope they didn't give that overdone treatment to all the mercs. The humour in JA2 is very subtle, not really meant to make you laugh, but many situations will provide you with that chuckle.

Agreed.

JA2 lines were written by Shaun Lyng, who is a master writer. Therefore I do not expect to get the exact same tone in JA3. That doesn't mean the writing will be bad, just different with moments that make you laugh, likely less subtle though.

Having the mercs intervene in conversation is a nice touch, even if it is to say nothing or something irrelevant or if they always come back to the same topic like Igor-Vodka, it makes them more involved and more lively. Some mercs will irrate you. If they do it means they are well done. You feel their presence.

Regarding the mercs in a JA game, in my opinion nothing would be worse then having just a set of bland characters you just pick according to their stats. Boring, boring, boring.ย  ย 

ย 

On 7/8/2023 at 8:20 PM, D13 said:

JA2 had many such mercs and a few NPCs but after a while we got used to them (or simply avoided them).

Everyone they reasonably could, they flanderized into a single exagerated trait in this.
Steroid never was a "gym-bro", until JA3 made him one, Ivan didn't have a drinking problem until this game decided that "drunk Russian funny".

There is no "avoiding" the goofy mercs, cause they made all of them into caricatures. Your best hope is that the caricatures were "affectionate" and not a mockery.

At least it will be possible to change all this personal dislikes, with the new editor.

Also possible to change character pics (you might take the old ones, for your own game) and descriptions and merc characteristics very easily, i guess.

So we are glad. ๐Ÿ˜Š

Edited by 5Cents

30 minutes ago, 5Cents said:

At least it will be possible to change all this personal dislikes, with the new editor.

Also possible to change character pics (you might take the old ones, for your own game) and descriptions and merc characteristics very easily, i guess.

So we are glad. ๐Ÿ˜Š

How much I welcome modding I find it very 'cheap' the base game simply doesn't come with decent characters and modders have to do that for them. Even then modders have their limitations and after all, you pay for a finished base game. I mean, If you go out there buying a car which they sell as a Ferrari, you don't expect to have to put the horse logo on it yourself and fix the engine sound to make people hear and see it's a Ferrari no?

You want to make 'THE next Jagged Alliance game and sell it like that?' Well fine but your very first and most important task is refitting the MERCS in the best way possible; they form the heart and soul of the game. All the stuff around that is what you can find with many TBS games out there these days. It will cost you 6 months of writing and drawing you say? Fine if that is what it takes. Bring the characters to the forum and have customers vote for them to avoid dissapointment later on in the proces.

You can say whatever you want (goes for people in here in general) but I say they did a really bad job concerning art-work and not making the Mercs look like their predecessors from JA1 and JA2 (and DG). Dialogues are really so much over the top that It isn't even funny anymore. It's cheesy and simply annoying like a bad SitCom. They used their names andย  gave Shadow permanent camo and that's about it.

They didn't deliver here and it would be fitting if they would admit that instead of ignoring the many complaints. Can't express my concerns too often but this will cost them many sales.

1 hour ago, ShadowMagic said:

How much I welcome modding I find it very 'cheap' the base game simply doesn't come with decent characters and modders have to do that for them. Even then modders have their limitations and after all, you pay for a finished base game. I mean, If you go out there buying a car which they sell as a Ferrari, you don't expect to have to put the horse logo on it yourself and fix the engine sound to make people hear and see it's a Ferrari no?

You want to make 'THE next Jagged Alliance game and sell it like that?' Well fine but your very first and most important task is refitting the MERCS in the best way possible; they form the heart and soul of the game. All the stuff around that is what you can find with many TBS games out there these days. It will cost you 6 months of writing and drawing you say? Fine if that is what it takes. Bring the characters to the forum and have customers vote for them to avoid dissapointment later on in the proces.

You can say whatever you want (goes for people in here in general) but I say they did a really bad job concerning art-work and not making the Mercs look like their predecessors from JA1 and JA2 (and DG). Dialogues are really so much over the top that It isn't even funny anymore. It's cheesy and simply annoying like a bad SitCom. They used their names andย  gave Shadow permanent camo and that's about it.

They didn't deliver here and it would be fitting if they would admit that instead of ignoring the many complaints. Can't express my concerns too often but this will cost them many sales.

Maybe the announcement of editor is a confession of their knowledge, many people wont like some things and see / wanting some aspects kind of differently. And its an excuse, smbd has the feeling for to hear.

But, anyway. It is, like it is. Complaints will not help, even if the reasons for them are reasonable.

Cant change, so get in it, stop being mad about the topic and start improvising. So its good, to have the possibilty to create our own game, like they said; our game, our rules.

Btw. I also think, there is no gold edge solution. Every fan will dislike other thinks and wont concern about some others. Suppose, i wouldnt not agree with fanbased mods either ๐Ÿ˜„

So i'll do my own corrections. I was used to do that for Ja2 and 1.13, as well, every time id like to play them, i set up changes.

I can live with that, i also found the process enjoyable. ๐Ÿ˜Š

Edited by 5Cents

2 minutes ago, 5Cents said:

So i'll do my own corrections. I was used to do that for Ja2 and 1.13, as well, every time id like to play them, i set up changes.

You bet ya. But for doing so I do not feel the need to pay full pricing when some of the important (basic) work has to be done by ourselves, the customers.

Still enjoying myself with a new game of JA2 and summer is here so can wait for some months before picking the game up from sale and start fixing it. Before all, importing my avatar pic into the game and make Shadow look more like Bob Lee Swagger instead of that Dancing Bear High School Jock they came up withย ๐Ÿ˜„ย 

Yes. Sounds good ๐Ÿ‘

I allready bought it, but i dont suppose i have time to play it, before autumn. ๐Ÿ˜† So im relaxed.

Btw, personally dont think, new artwork-writing will cost them many sales. A lot of fans will complain about the reworked artwork, but buy it anyway and there will be a lot of newbies to the JA-franchise.

Edited by 5Cents