Is this game far too easy?

mauricemoss

Agaim, i have yet to play JA3, but as some have outlined, JA2 was similar. The compounded effect of leveling you mercs, getting better weapons and getting better knowledge of the game, made it increasingly easier as you played more, with only a few rough spots here and there. 
In JA2 i think i finnished the story two or three times. Most of the other many runs were about trying different teams, different tactics, differente progression paths, and getting the squad up to a point where i could confidently face anything. 

Mind you, in JA2 the harder difficulty actually made the game easier, once you were proficient, by throwing at you enemies with better equipment to loot. As the online store inventory was tied to your progression, there was not much available early on, and you could get much better stuff from dead enemies. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Raeven said:

Try playing without CtH shown, I hear it's more of a challenge 🙃

Not at the point where I am now regarding my knowledge of mechanics. I know more than those JA players who haven't used the mod. Not surprising really, if you think about it.

Quote from a Steam thread which you probably visited:

"High MRK and High DEX => Perfect for Headshots.
High MRK but Low DEX => Maybe aim torso and rather shoot twice instead of spending AP for aiming (counter intuitively...)
Low MRK but High DEX => Counter-Intuitively take your time to aim.
Low MRK and Low DEX => dunno, throw grenades?"

Yeah this side entrance I saw 2 as I mentioned above ... well, I will take my time. First of all I need more money, like in real life ... lol. At the moment I am trying to take Bluebeard´s  Villa down in sector I9, still wondering if this makes sence. This Bluebeard for sure is the Kingpin of JA3.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, username55 said:

return fire perk is so annyoning to me, makes me want to stop playing.

I am two weeks in now on second difficulty level, and there's a lot of shotgun brutes. They run up to your squad across half the map, get a shot off and then park right in front of you.

When you return fire they retaliate AFTER spending all their AP and do a shitload of damage and bleeding, exposed etc whatnot. If your were bunched up chances are high half your squad is useless...

I had a fight where I deployed my mercs on the map and they were immediately attacked by brute with high damage and applying bleed to 5 mercs. The map made me learn I can put my mercs in specific positions instead of clustering them together 🙂

2 hours ago, Warmonger said:

Try it with JackHammer and report plz. Also the main house is full of enemies and I will blow it up. I like dynamite and machine-guns anyway better than these sneaking games 😉 

I already cleared the jail, in the way described. Mouse using "take cover" to save up AP for silent sweeps and Buns sniping at anyone that had the misfortune of being outdoors. Once it was down to just the boss, the same "take cover, rush in" strategy was applied with my shotgun IMP. There was a total of two interrupt counters I took in damage.

4 hours ago, Koinsky said:

Agaim, i have yet to play JA3, but as some have outlined, JA2 was similar. The compounded effect of leveling you mercs, getting better weapons and getting better knowledge of the game, made it increasingly easier as you played more, with only a few rough spots here and there. 
In JA2 i think i finnished the story two or three times. Most of the other many runs were about trying different teams, different tactics, differente progression paths, and getting the squad up to a point where i could confidently face anything. 

Mind you, in JA2 the harder difficulty actually made the game easier, once you were proficient, by throwing at you enemies with better equipment to loot. As the online store inventory was tied to your progression, there was not much available early on, and you could get much better stuff from dead enemies. 

Exactly. Congrats for your videos by the way, well done.

5 hours ago, Warmonger said:

Yeah this side entrance I saw 2 as I mentioned above ... well, I will take my time. First of all I need more money, like in real life ... lol. At the moment I am trying to take Bluebeard´s  Villa down in sector I9, still wondering if this makes sence. This Bluebeard for sure is the Kingpin of JA3.

I did not take him down.

Dont want to spoiler but Im unsure if he is the Kingpin counterpart...

No Spoiler: there is already a hint in the first contact with him. He is no (really) bad guy: He deems slavery as unethical...

But Im not done with the game yet, still at my first playthrough, maybe Im wrong.

Edit: From what I have seen sofar, I would say IF then the Kingpin is located in Savanna top right (independent mine)

Edited by barra

1 hour ago, Claudius33 said:

Exactly. Congrats for your videos by the way, well done.

Sorry. i'm not that Koynski. For those interested he keeps a very good playthrough in french. I've been using this nickname since i took to the internet back in the 90's, but i keep my activities to forums and such. Only found out about him after signing for this community a few weeks ago. Had i known, i would have picked another name, as i think the french Koyinski deserves his own place in JA3.

6 hours ago, username55 said:

return fire perk is so annyoning to me, makes me want to stop playing.

I am two weeks in now on second difficulty level, and there's a lot of shotgun brutes. They run up to your squad across half the map, get a shot off and then park right in front of you.

When you return fire they retaliate AFTER spending all their AP and do a shitload of damage and bleeding, exposed etc whatnot. If your were bunched up chances are high half your squad is useless...

I also noticed those red faced brutes can move way further, it was also in XCOM2 where those sword guys (how they were called ? rangers ?) could really run close to you from far distance and melee you so it seems like they copy it a lil from there.

Yea they are annoying for sure, thats why its good to headshot them in real time or bomb and blow them away if possible.

@Warmonger Thanks for the interesting info, i will try to attack there today or tomorrow. I got already 2 good snipers in my team with Buns & Flay, Wendigo (IMP) & Igor doing the additional damage and Barry always close by once i get more then 2 enemies together i will blow them up, as i will keep Steroid more behind and bring him close only if necessary.

6 hours ago, Warmonger said:

The Boss with the heavy gold chain eeeh ? I heard he has lots of strong guards (the ones with the rasta colored t-shirts) around him like 20 or so, i dont think its a good idea to attack him in early game. Guess you can also make a story progression with him.

10 hours ago, Hendrix said:

Although not as far into the game as @mauricemoss , I'm experiencing the same things, having my starter squad all set up with scoped and suppressed rifles. Really feels like all other weapon types are obsolete at the moment.

The enemies "tactics" of just bull rush at you is getting old by now.

I had really hoped the enemy would seek proper cover at strong points, forcing you to get in there and flush them out. Try to flank your team when attacking etc.

This was exactly what I didn't want JA3 to be and commented many times on this. However, it seems Haemimont have gone the route I was concerned about and just made single, aimed shots from scoped sniper rifles the dominant weapon. Not only that but suppressed rifles as well.

I know that the enemy militia might be fanatics and poorly trained but would they all be happy to rush out and be picked off one by one by unseen snipers from long range? Surely, the AI can be programmed to make them hide and even wait it out? If you are attacking a sector, they could wait as long as they like until you realise that you have to abandon your sniping tactic and move up, engaging them at closer ranges.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Solaris_Wave said:

This was exactly what I didn't want JA3 to be and commented many times on this. However, it seems Haemimont have gone the route I was concerned about and just made single, aimed shots from scoped sniper rifles the dominant weapon. Not only that but suppressed rifles as well.

I know that the enemy militia might be fanatics and poorly trained but would they all be happy to rush out and be picked off one by one by unseen snipers from long range? Surely, the AI can be programmed to make them hide and even wait it out? If you are attacking a sector, they could wait as long as they like until you realise that you have to abandon your sniping tactic and move up, engaging them at closer ranges.

Fortunately they didn’t really made this game for you. 🤷🏻

2 minutes ago, Solaris_Wave said:

@Tzg, you keep saying that to everyone else on here, every time somebody complains, and quite frankly, you are being obnoxious about it. JA3 wasn't made just for you.

Maybe it was? I am happy with it. 😁

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Hendrix said:

@Tzg

Do you actually find gameplay, were you just lay your merc prone with sniper rifles in a corner of a map and pick the enemy of, fun?

I am an adult I played tonnes of games I also have a bit of brain left…so wait for it … I can play it anyway I want. Sometimes I snipe (have only 2 in the team) sometimes I set MG, use rpg’s and grandes and shotguns and whatever I want. 🤷🏻 I am not forced to do anything. I am happy with it. 
Exactly as it was in JA2. Exactly. 

Edited by Tzg

3 minutes ago, Hendrix said:

@Tzg

and you really find it strange that some of us wish the game had a bit more tactical depth or an option for it atleast?

Yes. I do. Because it means you never played Jagged Alliance game and have some sort of fantasy in your heads and wish this game bend to your will. 🤷🏻 so yeah I find it strange. 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Just now, Tzg said:

Yes. I do. Because it means you never played Jagged Alliance game and have some sort of fantasy in your heads and wish this game bend to your will. 🤷🏻 so yeah I find it strange. 

I think you might be surprised to find that most of us in these forums have played at least one Jagged Alliance game. We have a pretty good idea of what the games are about. However, it doesn't mean they cannot be changed or improved upon, whatever those areas might be.

4 minutes ago, Tzg said:

Having played JA2 since late 1999, I'm afraid I have to disappoint you.