When the second huge-patch with crucial improvements

marcinl0

10 hours ago, sandman25dcsss said:

Be patient, they released a patch 3 working days ago. I wouldn't expect a patch until this Friday or even next Friday.

OK - second patch not in July, you have better informations.

I understand and appreciate the Authors working hard on the next huge JA3 patch.

Beside this crap inventory management the good news is that I had not yet a single crash with this game. Also like the game play the tactical battles I like.

What I still do not understand that some tell after three days that they are finished with the game. Can this be fun or is this a work-through day & night. Have they seen all of it .. ?! 

1 hour ago, Warmonger said:

Beside this crap inventory management the good news is that I had not yet a single crash with this game. Also like the game play the tactical battles I like.

What I still do not understand that some tell after three days that they are finished with the game. Can this be fun or is this a work-through day & night. Have they seen all of it .. ?! 

30h in game I'm in day 10 not having more than 12 sector's and none of militia.

2 hours ago, Warmonger said:

There is speed run community and there are people who like to lie on internet. I dont consider finishing main story, "finished game" unless it is just narrative based game.

3 hours ago, Warmonger said:

The game, not 100% but definitely "visited everywhere and eliminated all the enemies that existed, is about 50-60 hours long. I had the entire weekend planned around it and a day off on Friday, with the final battle taking place on Tuesday. 4 days or hardcore gaming, and then I made an attempt at clearing the "Time is Money" (failed that by 2 weeks, since I didn't realize one of the fights was also mandatory) which was a much shorter play-through of about 12 hours.

Shouldn't be much of a difference between difficulty levels.

abc123.png

Edited by Jaywalker

Today Friday - no new second patch "I wouldn't expect a patch until this Friday or even next Friday."

Crap Inventory system, lack of Bobby Rays, ligtnings, camouflages, pause etc are releatively easy to patch.

Edited by marcinl0

1 hour ago, marcinl0 said:

Today Friday - no new second patch "I wouldn't expect a patch until this Friday or even next Friday."

Crap Inventory system, lack of Bobby Rays, ligtnings, camouflages, pause etc are releatively easy to patch.

Patience is still the key. Check time when they released game and previous patch.

On 7/27/2023 at 10:14 AM, chr_isso said:

well you can move to the Major's Base right away and "finish" the game.
But what is finished anyway? Not having played the nice quests, the awesome laughs and so on ... this is, at least for me, a huge part of the game.

Yes, if a game like this is well made, there are many "valid" approaches to play and finish it, requiring different strategies, and that can make subsequent playthroughs more interesting. I haven't finished JA3 yet but so far it seems to be doing this well.

I'm playing my initial campaign with a "realistic" mindset: I have a mission and a clear objective, I want to reach it as efficiently as possible, taking no unnecessary risks, and if something does not help with the mission it will be ignored. For me part of the fun is to figure out what NEEDS to be done, what actions have positive risk/reward ratio, and what are distractions that might overstretch my merc team and financials. Example: if our task is to free a hostage, and some villager tells us about an unrelated place where "dangerous and scary things" are happening - the rational reaction is "thanks for the heads-up, we'll stay well clear of it, good luck though" 🙂 

Or when a stranger asks us to take a massive detour and attack a heavily fortified sector, all in exchange for an unspecified reward - I'll pass. Had that stranger offered a more tangible reward, like military support by a faction he controls, I might have decided differently.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, D13 said:

Yes, if a game like this is well made, there are many "valid" approaches to play and finish it, requiring different strategies, and that can make subsequent playthroughs more interesting. I haven't finished JA3 yet but so far it seems to be doing this well.

I'm playing my initial campaign with a "realistic" mindset: I have a mission and a clear objective, I want to reach it as efficiently as possible, taking no unnecessary risks, and if something does not help with the mission it will be ignored. For me part of the fun is to figure out what NEEDS to be done, what actions have positive risk/reward ratio, and what are distractions that might overstretch my merc team and financials. Example: if our task is to free a hostage, and some villager tells us about an unrelated place where "dangerous and scary things" are happening - the rational reaction is "thanks for the heads-up, we'll stay well clear of it, good luck though" 🙂 

Or when a stranger asks us to take a massive detour and attack a heavily fortified sector, all in exchange for an unspecified reward - I'll pass. Had that stranger offered a more tangible reward, like military support by a faction he controls, I might have decided differently.

okay and then there's players like me how take every task, who wants to explore almost every sector of the game and who ... takes his time and creates youtube videos if I discover something interesting or something that might be useful for "casual" players.

but i guess both approaches to a game are totally fine. 

• Like 1

They said that their next goal is to release the first batch of mod tools around the middle of August. I would expect a patch between the 10th and 17th of August. Also keep in mind that it will probably include mostly bug fixes and said mod tools, not new features like Bobby Ray's.

Do not get your hopes up. It is to be expected that the first patches include bug fixes to make quests run smooth, improve performance, remove graphical glitches and more.

• Like 1

@marcinl0
If you want to do it justice, you need to actually create a small website that can be accessed via your laptop. Including with a shopping cart, images and what not. Possibly add something funny or even include easter eggs. From a design point of view you would want to introduce several websites, not just one. Like we had the flower service and Insurance company back in JA2.

Now, after creating and fine-combing the website for bugs, they will need to playtest how deliveries are made and in what way they affect game balance. For example, and this is only an idea in my head, there can be two services - by boat and dropping a crate with a parachute from an airplane.

The boat will be slower, cheaper but you will be able to choose to which sector it will deliver the goods. The airplane will be faster but you will only be able to choose the vicinity where the crate will be parachuted. You will then have to go there and look for it in the adjacent sectors. The landing might damage some of the goods.

They would want to make it as interactive as possible with the rest of the game. This takes time and testing, not something you can do within 2 to 3 weeks.

Keep in mind that they explored of lot of ideas and some of them were put on hold or left for a later date. They might already have some idea on how to tackle the ammo and weapon availability that has nothing to do with internet shopping. We know that the Adjani valley is only one part of the country of Grand Chien - possibly a traveling merchant can come up to a few ports and accept requests?

Edited by Melliores
  • Like 4

The lack of true RPG style vendors is one of the big letdowns of JA3 for me, although I love the game overall.

That said, I think introducing a major vendor into the game as it's currently designed would throw off the balance. The scrap economy is intended to replace selling of items and scarcity is a big part of the games intended design and challenge.

I think adding true vendors would only work well as part of a whole slew of other large scale changes in some kind of total conversion mod.

I miss item shopping as much as the next player but it just does not fit into JA3, unfortunately. Fortunately I do enjoy the game we have.

From the dev stream last evening, 1.03 patch is coming late this week or early next week:

- On easiest difficulty, mines will only deplete to 50%, and on the medium difficulty they will only deplete to 20%.
- Looking at difficulty on hardest difficulty to see how to make it harder.
- Going to try to have a level designer on another stream.
- Find new ways that the player can spend money. Possibly new merchants?
- Increased time between enemy attack spawns on easier difficulties.
- Increased travel speed.
- Fix to enemies in the prison to make it so they are not as stationary. There was a script issue as per Boyan.
- Boat on Ernie is free in case you somehow run out of money there.
- Reduced damage on MGs a bit, bugfix so that MGs are less accurate when setup (apparently they were getting full benefits of aiming always).
- Reduced MG number of bullets per shot based on AP (always shot max number of bullets before).
- Increased drops of gunpowder so you can craft more ammo. Seems that they want us to use the crafting system to better address our supply needs
- Looking at availability of parts/meds; maybe for next patch.
- Fixed some bugs with perks that made explosives dmg bonuses count twice. Barry will not be able to do as much damage but will still be very, very good.
- Made distance count for mishap chance for grenade launchers and RPGs. Works for both enemies and mercs - no more 100% sniping with a RPG.
- Mod tools mid-August; 1st batch for IMPs, chars, UI, etc., 2nd batch for map/campaign editor.
- Soundtrack on spotify.

@sandman25dcsss
Balance reasons - If an item is around 90-100% condition, it does not cost any parts and 15 to 30 minutes. They wanted I guess to at least have some money cost (hours still cost your money in salaries) to give you some time to think when do you want to do repairs.

Edited by Melliores
  • Like 3