Rate the game.

ShadowMagic

Just wondering what people in here would rate the game, based on what we have seen so far.

I'll toss in mine first: 2/5.

I can only see very little similarities to the classic Jagged Alliance games for it being called 'a successor'. I simply hate the cartoonish and goofy art-style instead of the game having a more serious and adult approach. I can live with the 3D setting and the 3d person view action scenes they have chosen but at the same time this diminishes the classic feel about the game. It would work if this would be the next Desperados but for Jagged Alliance it just doesn't appeal to me nor triggers any nostalgic feelings.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, ShadowMagic said:

I simply hate the cartoonish and goofy art-style instead of the game having a more serious and adult approach.

Feel u bro, but I already seen so much content of this game so its okay for me now. Well, its not great, but this game could be okay. It could be 4/5. One of the biggest problems of Haemimont, they are so f*cking sucks in animation... I cant look without tears at this parts of the body after grenade explosion, this is biggest problem of this studio. But map(world) is okay, sometimes really well done. And this vibrant style probably can be good for the game. People like vibrant things. If we compare JA3 and MC, JA3 looks much more cooler. Much more. At least JA3 not looking ugly like MC.

Rating the game we've seen only limited footage from unfinished product?

That's just being unfair and negatively reviewing it at this point is at least counter-productive.

While I might not like some changes I saw, it's still something I'm greatly looking forward for

Also saying it doesn't trigger nostalgic feelings is straight up lie... Why else would you be ranting it doesn't match your vision of a successor? 

Well, its not great, but this game could be okay. It could be 4/5. One of the biggest problems of Haemimont, they are so f*cking sucks in animation... I cant look without tears at this parts of the body after grenade explosion, this is biggest problem of this studio. But map(world) is okay, sometimes really well done. And this vibrant style probably can be good for the game. People like vibrant things. If we compare JA3 and MC, JA3 looks much more cooler. Much more. At least JA3 not looking ugly like MC.

W-what? You, being somewhat positive about this game? Giving it 4/5? Are you ill? Did your cat write that on your stead? 🫣

Edited by Grim

37 minutes ago, Grim said:

W-what? You, being somewhat positive about this game?

I dont know man, step by step i started to like this game. But I prefer raiting of 10. I think Haemimonts will do 5-6/10 and after that modders upgrade it to 7-8/10 and it will be solid good game. Not perfect JA3 of our dreams, but something. Bro, if I thought the game is terrible I would not come here every day to post a comment. ^__^

Edited by Lunokhod

Could be a 8-9/10. I see a lot of similarities to JA2, but also some changes. Some might be for the better some for the worse. It doesn’t have to be an exact copy of JA2 with better graphics to be a good game in my book, but I will wait with my final verdict after I played it at least once.

There isn't really a point in rating a game that we've only been able to look at while still in development. But if I had to make a prediction, I think I will end up rating it highly, perhaps 8/10.

The game looks good to me. Yes, it's less serious than its predecessors, but JA2 was also rather over-the-top, tongue-in-cheek, and had a cartoonesque colour palette of its own. It's not that big of a leap for me.

Furthermore, JA3 seems to have everything I expect from a Jagged Alliance game: a tactical and a strategic map, mercs with quirky personalities, action points, no CtH, the laptop complete with email and browser, liberating towns and training militia, a large amount of items that can be combined and, weapon customization, NPC dialogues with skill checks, side-quests...

I think the game will be good. Not as good as JA2, but since that's the greatest game of all time to me that a trivial issue.

Edited by Frank

I really don't know what rating I could give it, without playing any of it. I am happy with the 3D camera (you could possibly keep it at an angle so the game looks isometric all the time, of it bothers you). My main concerns are weapon realism, inventory system and finally, some of the overall 'look' of the game. Yes, Jagged Alliance has always had humour and outlandish characters but there was surprising restraint with it and the humour was often dark. I am concerned that JA3 might have made it look like a 'fun, jolly boys and girls outing' for characters from a Hero shooter to sign up for, rather than a serious coup d'état that needs deadly mercenaries to change.

Hard to rate it without playing the final product but I'd give it a 4/5. The inventory system, lack of magazines, crafting system, and some other choices like outfits and such are what prevent me from giving it a higher score.

The inventory is just to basic for my tastes and I hate the crafting mechanic. Making weapon attachments and ammo from scrap just doesn't make sense and is not a fun mechanic. It also just seems a little to colourful and would prefer more military style outfits and actually seeing armor on characters.

Edited by DougS2K
  • Like 1

I don't see how I could rate a game that I have not played or even been able to read full release review articles about it. The entire premise of rating it based on what we have seen so far doesn't make sense to me.

I can say that based on what I have seen so far I am highly looking forward to it.  So if we go with a "Hype Meter" as someone else mentioned, mine is very high (it's gone up significantly with the increased information released this spring).

19 hours ago, ShadowMagic said:

I can live with the 3D setting and the 3d person view action scenes they have chosen but at the same time this diminishes the classic feel about the game.

Bro Im sure u can disable action camera if u want and u can play this game in isometric style, just dont touch the camera. Take a look at some locations, its pretty good.

ss_af05dad044e27cfa9332ed6090fc2287df78c0aa.png

Edited by Lunokhod

5 hours ago, Lunokhod said:

Bro Im sure u can disable action camera if u want and u can play this game in isometric style, just dont touch the camera. Take a look at some locations, its pretty good.

ss_af05dad044e27cfa9332ed6090fc2287df78c0aa.png

Aye, that's probably as close as it can get. 

Nice to see 'Rasta' Vicki and 'Housewife' Raven in here though.. Too bad they completely ruined most characters 😕

2023-06-06 10_48_02-Rate the game. - General Discussion - Jagged Alliance Community.png

4 minutes ago, ShadowMagic said:

Nice to see 'Rasta' Vicki and 'Housewife' Raven in here though.. Too bad they completely ruined most characters 😕

I know bro, I think Vicki's face is just a joke of artist. Ice face too, so lame... Jesus... Mb they fix some faces, I dont know. But u can hire other mercs. For example Fox, yes, she is a bit goofy too, but she is american. ^__^ I mean she is dressed like a Fox, yes, a bit cartoonish, but this is she. U can recognize her. And many characters. Buns, Sidney, Scope - very good. Meltdown, Fox, Blood, Len, MD - okay. U need a bit more time to get this cartoon style.

11 minutes ago, Lunokhod said:

I know bro, I think Vicki's face is just a joke of artist. Ice face too, so lame... Jesus... Mb they fix some faces, I dont know. But u can hire other mercs. For example Fox, yes, she is a bit goofy too, but she is american. ^__^ I mean she is dressed like a Fox, yes, a bit cartoonish, but this is she. U can recognize her. And many characters. Buns, Sidney, Scope - very good. Meltdown, Fox, Blood, Len, MD - okay. U need a bit more time to get this cartoon style.

Just can't express myself to often. They really NEED to up the art work.for this game to be taken any serious.

Ice: Looks like a hybrid from Bruno Mars and the Fresh Prince of Bell Air.
Magic: Don't even start about him. The biggest failed portrait I have seen in any game so far.
Igor: a mime or accordion player. Complete joke.
Livewire = Mia Kalifa. Enough said. Guarantees enough 'explosions' i bet 😄 
Raven = A housewife from the 50's.
Meltdown = an office clerk.
Grunty = a house DJ from the 90's that now works in a snackbar.
Wolf: a former p*rn star, stuck in his second youth. Probably drives an old Saab with soft top.
Fidel: A Scottish drunk highlander (Yo Haerimont, wake up this dude is Arabian!)

Hopefully modders will be able to do what Haerimont is uncapable of.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ShadowMagic said:

Magic: Don't even start about him. The biggest failed portrait I have seen in any game so far.

I dont know why, but artist afraid to draw real black people. But he can, Gus and Len - okay, its black guys, no questions. Ice, Magic and Vicki looks unreal. Even for cartoon. They have black skin, but they are not blacks.

Yea, Magic is a big failture at all. Just not a big fan of him, I know he is strong merc, but i can just ignore him. But yes, he is totally joke for >30 000$ merc per week. He must look like a professional soldier for this money.

28 minutes ago, ShadowMagic said:

Just can't express myself to often. They really NEED to up the art work.for this game to be taken any serious.

Igor: a mime or accordion player. Complete joke.
Livewire = Mia Kalifa. Enough said. Guarantees enough 'explosions' i bet 😄 
Raven = A housewife from the 50's.
Meltdown = an office clerk.
Grunty = a house DJ from the 90's that now works in a snackbar.
Wolf: a former p*rn star, stuck in his second youth. Probably drives an old Saab with soft top.
Fidel: A Scottish drunk highlander (Yo Haerimont, wake up this dude is Arabian!)

Hopefully modders will be able to do what Haerimont is uncapable of.

This is like the typical level of criticism from people who maybe dont like what they see but then go out looking for criticisms vs actually noticing what is and isnt a mistake. Some of the female portraits look iffy. The male ones look mostly fine but I would still change their overall look and tone.

Heres the problem tho: some ja2 portraits were no less bad if not more so. Do you guys remember what fox looked like? Fox looked plain af, random generic chick from tri-state area.

If you're going to criticize, make good fundamental criticisms, dont complain about 1 portrait. Dont go out looking for criticisns or try to find ways to criticize a game, any product can be criticized if you firce your criticisms or obsess over the unimportant.

Edited by ArulcoFan