DevDiary 11 - Guns Guns Guns

THQN Roger

8 hours ago, Claypl said:

I was aware of the trailer, but do you recall which streamer was showing the roof collapsing? I was also hoping for structural collapses.

8 hours ago, Kordanor said:

Sorry, cant find it. I thought it was DrProof, but I cant find it. 😞

31:05

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Elder III said:

The PCGamer article mentions (accidentally I thihnk) blowing up the floor of the upper story their mercs were on and falling down on top of the enemies on the lower floor.

https://www.global-esports.news/general/jagged-alliance-3-gameplay-summary-this-could-really-be-a-hit/

"Tense, our mercenary “Livewire” ducks under a window on the second floor and surveys the situation on the street. There! Three guys with assault rifles loiter behind a section of wall, carelessly close together. "Livewire" fishes a hand grenade out of her backpack, aims carefully, throws … and the explosive device bounces off the window frame, tumbles to the floor and detonates. The floor collapses and our mercenary lands on the ground floor as rising dots tick up her blast and fall damage. "

Edited by Wigen

On 6/26/2023 at 5:08 PM, THQN Roger said:

0_JA3_DevDiary_Guns_Inventory.png.852ea3f3678919fdbf06fb6464190256.png

Great dev diary!

I didn't dare think you might be able to display guns as well as new Modern Warfare games do, but here we are. It's an impressive part of the game.

I absolutely agree that portraits of mercs should be in different scale to keep the same badge dimensions. However, for weapons I would have preferred keeping a uniform scale. It really takes away from the representation of each weapon. The Barret appearing as long as the M14, the revolver appearing as small as the Glock and both weapons loosing significant amount of detail... trigger guards barely visible... I can't say I like it. The whole concept of carrying an anti-tank rifle should look and feel as insane as it sounds. I wish the slot size would change in accordance to the actual weapon. It's probably an interface nightmare, but worth it imho.

I always loved original Deus Ex inventory. Backpacks could have used that same concept.

They could go with weight and proportional size approach to inventory as suggested, I would be happy with that. I dont think that imposes any limitations for weapon handling (you would simply assign single/two handed weapons).

They are walking thin line between legacy/realism/approachability aspects to inventory management.

Certainly current approach to inventory management simplifies a lot of aspects of the interface design and as it is, it turn out very basic but it might do the job just fine, we will see soon how it plays..

• Like 1

Great in depth dev diary. I love the detailed modification system for the weapons and that every change can influence the combat gameplay in many ways. Your weapon models are also very well done and look authentic. The sound design for the guns and environment is very detailed too and by far one of the best. 

I am curious if the different weapons can also have various effects on the enemy. I think it would be great if heavy weapons for example can scare weaker enemies so that they flee or that their aiming is influenced. Also is there a suppressive fire system in the game so that enemies can be restricted in their tactics?

Overall I think we all can see how much work you put into the weapon and modification system. I can't wait to try out every gun and to change every aspect of it to get different fire fights every time.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, WILDFIRE said:

Also is there a suppressive fire system in the game so that enemies can be restricted in their tactics?

I don't know about anything else you asked, but yes, you can suppress enemies. Firing full auto at an enemy will suppress them. I don't know if it's possible to inflict this outside of full auto, though.

2 hours ago, Stuurminator said:

I don't know about anything else you asked, but yes, you can suppress enemies. Firing full auto at an enemy will suppress them. I don't know if it's possible to inflict this outside of full auto, though.

Hopefully, you can suppress enemies with single bullets and shells, if those are a large enough calibre. If I knew someone was out there with an anti-materiel rifle, I think I would like to keep behind as much cover as possible, and then stay there. You might be able to charge up towards the sniper and use flanking manoeuvres, but if you are the one to get shot, you are not going to be walking away from that one.

Edited by Solaris_Wave

On 6/30/2023 at 8:35 PM, Solaris_Wave said:

Hopefully, you can suppress enemies with single bullets and shells, if those are a large enough calibre.

You most likely can't, because this is an RPG and not a sim, and suppression is a status applied by a specific attack and not by bullets flying nearby. I'd love to be wrong on this, but this is probably not going to work like 1.13.

On 6/29/2023 at 8:08 AM, SWi74 said:

Great dev diary!

I didn't dare think you might be able to display guns as well as new Modern Warfare games do, but here we are. It's an impressive part of the game.

I absolutely agree that portraits of mercs should be in different scale to keep the same badge dimensions. However, for weapons I would have preferred keeping a uniform scale. It really takes away from the representation of each weapon. The Barret appearing as long as the M14, the revolver appearing as small as the Glock and both weapons loosing significant amount of detail... trigger guards barely visible... I can't say I like it. The whole concept of carrying an anti-tank rifle should look and feel as insane as it sounds. I wish the slot size would change in accordance to the actual weapon. It's probably an interface nightmare, but worth it imho.

I always loved original Deus Ex inventory. Backpacks could have used that same concept.

Bro that would not work.
Imagine the Barret beeing 140cm long.
A 911 is 21cm long.

Now take the available size of the inventory and scale that up/down.
It just would not look right.

30 minutes ago, chr_isso said:

Bro that would not work.

Well it could, having been done in both Deus Ex and its remake. But probably won't. Too late for such a change.

But I don't fully get your argument. You can either carry a Barret or 7 handguns. Why should all pockets (slots) be 1 size fits all?

inventory.webp

maxresdefault.jpg

3 minutes ago, SWi74 said:

Well it could, having been done in both Deus Ex and its remake. But probably won't. Too late for such a change.

But I don't fully get your argument. You can either carry a Barret or 7 handguns. Why should all pockets (slots) be 1 size fits all?

inventory.webp

maxresdefault.jpg

and those inventorys look ugly as hell.
i prefer the current JA3 (JA2) style a lot more than that from your post.

it really gives me eye-cancer.

6 minutes ago, chr_isso said:

eye-cancer

Sorry to hear that.

It doesn't have to be ugly though. I could look just as it does now with adjustment to how it works. Glock is 1 square, taurus is 2, m14 is 3, Barret is 4. And they would all look like they exist in the same world.

If there are limits to weight, why shouldn't there be limits to volume or at least length...

It's just a mechanic I would have appreciated, especially because of allowing uniform scale for items. No need to get "but Deus is ugly" about it.

25 minutes ago, SWi74 said:

Sorry to hear that.

It doesn't have to be ugly though. I could look just as it does now with adjustment to how it works. Glock is 1 square, taurus is 2, m14 is 3, Barret is 4. And they would all look like they exist in the same world.

If there are limits to weight, why shouldn't there be limits to volume or at least length...

It's just a mechanic I would have appreciated, especially because of allowing uniform scale for items. No need to get "but Deus is ugly" about it.

that is a good aspect and would work, but since we don't even have weight as a factor yet I guess the inventory sizes will be part for modding community in the future..

1 hour ago, SWi74 said:

Glock is 1 square, taurus is 2, m14 is 3, Barret is 4. And they would all look like they exist in the same world.

The problem here is that your hands are two squares.
It quite literally comes down to that: the design language for maintaining clarity is that one-handed weapons are 1 tile (they fit in the 1 tile area of a single hand), and two-handed ones are 2 tiles (they take up both of the tiles representing your hands).

4 hours ago, Jaywalker said:

design language

I still don't see that as a problem. If you decide to have them at the same scale, you make the hand slots larger. It doesn't need to be like Heroes III inventory hand slots, when Diablo 2 inventory hand slots better serve your mechanic.

Ja2 uses large slots for hands. It's not an issue if it was the kind of system you wanted to have in the game.

I really like the Artwork of the new guns. And also the realistic sounds and muzzle flashes. Well done, with sound recording, i really celebrate this move! 👍
Old Jagged-games are not so famous cause their 'wow' weaponsounds. 😅

Im also a friend of the new inventory system, which actually resembles the classic JA style very good.

-For me personally, its not necessary to have a 1.1300 Vests, Backpacks etc, to have fun with gameplay (Sometimes it was cool, smtms just dull & a waste of time to do all the micromanagement, repair or rebuy inventory-stuff..same with weapons).
If youre just a casual gamer, you dont have so much time to turn every stone again & again.-

'Size' of weapons (2 different classes or so) is absolutly enough and reasonable; my modest opinion.

For me, its just the good old classic jagged 1 style, overall. I like.
..sometimes less is more..

The upgrade-system has a nice style, specially for weapon enthusiast.
Btw. it looks close to the Stalker: Clear Sky tec-room.😉 (you couldnt undone your uprades 2; what some people here suppose for JA3)..
Noticed some weapon details: Car15 pictured with 20 mag, but 30 rnds in it..or M82A1 with only 5 rnds instead of the real 10 mag.
Same with the different damage-ballistics of same calibers?
I suppose these wpnstat- inconsequences were made for gamebalistics?
I wont just let use my mercs some of these wpns, which i find incomprehensible 😆
(One more level of difficulty, made it through Game, with only a steak-knife 😂).

All in all i think i like the new weapons, from what i have seen. I play Jagged games since the 90s and for me, they are no "realistic" warsims, but just fun and fantastic games with a very grim topic, anyway.

And so far, for what i have seen, i think Jagged 3 armory will 'fun make great again' :).