Drop Everything but 50 Percent of it
evermine (mines never run out)
Active Pause BASIC TACTICAL MOD IMHO
Increased Damage Automatic Fire
Increased Firearm Damage
JA2 Mercs

Tony's Blackmarket" Trader Mod

Combat Suit

What is yours - about 10 must have JA3 mods - list.

The only must have mods are those that provide bug fixes or extra settings. The Custom settings mod achieves a lot of what some of the more picky players have requested - way to modify the drop rates of certain items, change the number of mercs you can recruit and even apparently now has sorting functions for the sector inventory. 🙂

I don't use any modifications at all, especially none that make the game even easier like showing the chance to hit, increased drop rates, infinite mine income, or enhanced damage since the commando difficulty is good for me the way it is and I like it to be challenging.

If I had to use any, I would use the ones that provide bug fixes or easen the organization of e. g. the inventory and such. 🤗

• Like 3

I just liberated Ernie Island so I will keep run modless for now.

I despise the concept of mines being depleted during your mission (you finish the old game in just a year of you take It super slowly)...too bad luck: they have been used for decades then poof just when you needed them.

If no reuban in game then a Reuban mod, also I like trashy mercenary from first game: most MERCS were still super good compared to them.

I haven't noticed that bug with claustrophobia etc in vanilla myself.

I'm playing through the game unmodded and it's just fine. Not sure if I'll do a second playthrough later or not, usually I only play games once. 

Every one of the mods in the original post lower the difficulty in one way or another, which I haven't felt a need to do on commando. I find the game to be reasonably well balanced without them.

Edited by Raeven

i hope someone make different ammo color mod just like in ja2. i want to see my gun's loaded ammo red if it is armor piercing or dark blue if it is hollow point.

i also want to see some gamechange about weapons. very very first rifle you find at first island (Gewehr 98) can not be better than fn-fal, m-14, m-16 at all. there is no point using auto weapons if your merc doesnt have auto weapons trait or too high mark and ammo piercing bullets. all they do is 20-30 damage.

Edited by shadoww
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, shadoww said:

i hope someone make different ammo color mod just like in ja2. i want to see my gun's loaded ammo red if it is armor piercing or dark blue if it is hollow point.

i also want to see some gamechange about weapons. very very first rifle you find at first island (Gewehr 98) can not be better than fn-fal, m-14, m-16 at all. there is no point using auto weapons if your merc doesnt have auto weapons trait or too high mark and ammo piercing bullets. all they do is 20-30 damage.

Idk, the ARs hav lots of useful mods available and use far less AP, esp. guns like the Steyr aug. Plus you can use grenade launcher which is very powerful. I don't find ARs to be useless by any means...

@Raeven I have encounter that bunch of times with Vicki. She get debuff after bunkers and that drags on what it seems forever.

I got handicapped by some of these for long time, longer then I would expect..

Personally I run

All Mercs at Start - it help to build your fav team more reliably, they still can refuse but on start but it is way less of problem, after you start campaign it get back to normal random approach which is how I like it

Descriptive Ammo Icons - because I'm blind

Explain Morale Influences - because I want to learn, sometimes these effects are confusing

Fix Claustrophobia, Guilty, Sinful - just added it based on suggestion here, again it messed me bad couple times, I'm OK with debuff being there but it should not last as long as it does. I will try to get some clarifications whether this work as designed or it is in fact bugged.

So nothing game breaking I think..

It will be interesting what will end up becoming vanilla after couple patching rounds when Haemimont boys get back from holidays.

Edited by Claypl

I can attest that Claustrophobia, Guilty, Sinful are working as intended - the game expects that you have some longterm morale penalties by making certain quest decisions. I actually thought they were permanent effects, but it appears that they last 30 days. A long time in JA3 but still a meaningful penalty.

By installing that mod you are essentially making them meaningless since you can sleep off/train/repair and get rid of that debuff.

@Melliores that seems kind of pointless then to hire anyone with these debuffs.

Imagine taking -1AP debuff for 30 days after your tutorial bunker with Vicki. Then you have one average encounter and you got -2AP.

I dont mind it to last longer but 30days is crazy. Would be fine with couple days, to week, but anything over that period is killing effectively taking those people on team.

21 minutes ago, Melliores said:

I can attest that Claustrophobia, Guilty, Sinful are working as intended - the game expects that you have some longterm morale penalties by making certain quest decisions. I actually thought they were permanent effects, but it appears that they last 30 days. A long time in JA3 but still a meaningful penalty.

By installing that mod you are essentially making them meaningless since you can sleep off/train/repair and get rid of that debuff.

Not meaningless, it still affects fights on the level. Claustrophobia means you can't fight underground or in bunker, that's it, it should not affect you after you are back to open space, at least not for the whole month.

Edited by sandman25dcsss