Gamestar "pre-review" - CtH mod coming day 1

Raeven

Bought a gamestar sub just to read this 🙂

https://www.gamestar.de/artikel/jagged-alliance-3-test-steam-review,3397179.html

Interesting tidbit from the article:

"If you still want a displayed hit probability: Haemimont has built a mod for it that you can install right after the release via the Steam Workshop."

Seems like the best way to address the haters without compromising their vision of how the game is intended to be played.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, Claypl said:

Interesting choice to make it as a mod and not as an option (when done by some guys).. But yeah I would not mind either option if that convince folks to try.

It was likely done this way because making a mod for it was not only their intention, but a much easier way to add it last minute like this.

• Like 1

I take it as a brilliant idea.
It implicitely states that the (shown) CTH is not part of the gameplay experience they want for the game.
Yet, they heard the criticism and make it possible for those wanting it.
And lastly, it introduces the moddability of the game and makes an example and first mod in the workshop.

• Like 8

Not interested in a CtH mod but I find it hard to believe the devs are implementing a CtH mod on Day 1 considering their past stance on CtH. Guess we will find out in a few days. Won't be a mod I'll use but I guess it will make some people happy if it's true.

44 minutes ago, DougS2K said:

Not interested in a CtH mod but I find it hard to believe the devs are implementing a CtH mod on Day 1 considering their past stance on CtH. Guess we will find out in a few days. Won't be a mod I'll use but I guess it will make some people happy if it's true.

I'm not going to use it either but it's not hard to believe and I think it was the best decision for the game's success (financially speaking). I like that the dev team stuck to their guns but this was a case of giving the players the option I think was more important. My guess is that management pushed this since it created really bad optics not having it. Although the damage has been done, this might be enough to grab those hold outs who swore the game off without the feature.

Can't be bothered if it was true. I believe CTH dumbs down gameplay and is meant for the next-gen lazy gamers that all want perks, skill assists and mechanics that do the thinking for them. If that makes them happy, fine.

However I'd rather seen them putting time in new Merc avatars like porting the old 2D models to this game so it's more safe to say this game wants to be JA.

Perhaps we will see an upgrade still. Who knows.

Edited by ShadowMagic

Mh, I always opted for options as a solution.
But that was BEFORE they announced the huge mod support.

And I think we wouldn't all be here without the modding community of JA2 at some point.
For me it was stracciatella, for others it was 1.13.

And please look at skyrim. I salute to all these people who have skills to put stuff like this off.
I lake both the time and skills for it, so thank you to all modders.

9 hours ago, ShadowMagic said:

I believe CTH dumbs down gameplay and is meant for the next-gen lazy gamers that all want perks, skill assists and mechanics that do the thinking for them. If that makes them happy, fine.

I believe those are players who prefer to make decisions based on knowledge instead of weird guesses like "I am not sure whichever is better. I have tried both options 500 times already and it is still unclear if there is any difference. Let's hide in a corner because it is good for roleplaying and realism".

Do you want us to continue blaming each other or maybe learn to respect preferences of other players?

23 minutes ago, sandman25dcsss said:

I believe those are players who prefer to make decisions based on knowledge

Let me put it this way. You have players that are:
A: capable of taking many possible influence factors into account that might determine the end result, and 
B: less capable or plain lazy and let the computer do that for them.

In both situations a player makes a decision based on 'knowledge'. However, it's about how to obtain that 'knowledge'. I personally prefer to do the thinking myself and learn from mistakes / previous situations (experience) and rinse, correct and repeat. I prefer a learning curve.

Like I said, the problem with games these days is that these 'next gen' gamers do not have the patience anymore but want it all presented to them. Hence many games are dumbed down (perks, skill assists like auto aim on consoles) and focus is set on graphics rather than gameplay (a MOST heard complain on any game forum by the more demanding gamers still out there)

Edited by ShadowMagic
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Claypl said:

True words @ShadowMagic too many people focus on graphics 😉

It's not the players it's the developers that set focus (I take the bait just to relocate the lure 😉)
As with this game, it's the graphics (surroundings, environments, high res images) that gotten a lot of love.

Other MORE important aspects (at least to me) such as Merc portraits (which is not just a mug shot but incl. their behaviour / interaction / voice acting / biography and story telling) have gotten to little.

So, close but no cigar mate 😄  

• Haha 1