Scripted Events Ruin this Game

Applodeon

I have played this game for a week now and I feel that the developer did a pretty good job in getting the tactical formula right between X-Com and Jagged Alliance. The mercs feel unique and authentic and bring a new set of abilities to the table and how they synergize and work toward a goal with planning and interacting with the world is a fun process.

However, running counter to that is the scripted events that appear out of nowhere to entrap players in situations they can never anticipate or get out of. One example is at the Haunted Mansion after you clear out the Legion. Second one to raise its ugly head, so far, has been at the siege where Biff is.

One can never truly prepare for these events that pit a large group of enemies and condemn the player's current run irregardless of the level of preparedness or skill. In my opinion it is just pure luck of the draw if one is able to fend off the enemy in these scenarios, and many times the developer would have guessed wrong in terms of how the player would react. Or rather, they were quite thoughtless and threw these in as part of raising difficulty in an artificial manner, throwing the careful balance of increasing the challenge in response to player input out the window.

In Jagged Alliance 2, one would know in advance how the enemy is going to react, giving you ample and advance warning what to prepare and where to go. The closest analogue to something scripted would be the Drassen counterattack, but that was taken out of the final game because of what it would entail, some of which are seen in this game. Even in that event, one was able to retreat and regroup; in this game the events block all entry points and you're essentially trapped.

The scripted events in this game are so thoughtlessly implemented, they even stomp over some of its mechanisms like scouting. Try scouting as hard as you might, getting intel on all the sectors, you will never get an inkling of what is about to take place in that sector where the developer has set up the trap.

These events are essentially the developers' lame attempt to weave a narrative into otherwise engrossing gameplay loop and end up diminishing it quite a bit.

Edited by Applodeon
  • Like 1

I do like the scripted events and sieges.

There is an event, sort of counter-attack called the N-Night (play of words with D-Day). You know in advance where it would be and with some NPC dialogue you will get an exact date and time. What you do not know is the numbers of the attackers. You have ample time to prepare and there are two quests to give you additional defenders.

The Biff siege is kind of a surprise but very welcome one - the game tries to throw something at you instead of passively waiting for you to assault one sector after another. Call it hurdle, challenge, whatever - it is there to give a sense that this is a living world and other characters and forces move within it.

Now, without prior knowledge that siege is difficult. You might want to even load a previous save before going to that sector and bring more mercenaries. It is very much possible to go through the 4-5-6 waves with minimal wounds if you look at the strategical and tactical map. The enemies can come only from the south and east, so you should position your forces to cover those entrances. You have the billboard and the dinner, both good spots to place your mercs and get a high ground bonus. You can even place proximity explosives (if you have found such detonators) and let the enemies walk into a minefield.

Scouting is not only done via the Scout strategic op - you can use your common sense to check how the enemy can approach the sector and where you can prepare defensive positions. You do know well in advance that Biff will be attack by a major force, so you should not be underestimating the Légion.

• Like 1

JA3 is an RPG, not a strategy game. Sometimes, that means that breaks from established rules need to be made for the sake of the story.

In none of these cases are you denied the ability to prepare or taken completely by surprise, unless you are willfully ignorant of the signs.

Just now, Jaywalker said:

JA3 is an RPG, not a strategy game. Sometimes, that means that breaks from established rules need to be made for the sake of the story.

In none of these cases are you denied the ability to prepare or taken completely by surprise, unless you are willfully ignorant of the signs.

That is not how RPGs work. Problems have multiple solutions in RPGs, depending on your build. Cornering players to play in certain way is not definition of "RPG"

Just now, Skaldy said:

That is not how RPGs work. Problems have multiple solutions in RPGs, depending on your build.

RPGs will absolutely throw problems at you to which the solution is not one you would like.

Your options in JA3 are on how you fight, and in this one case you are only denied the choice on when and where, and even that isn't 100% true, as you can eliminate the attack team before they reach Biff, giving you more time to prepare.

I'm almost certain that if someone tried it, you can ever stop other events by having people where they happen beforehand.

An example of how a good RPG works, if I may:

Baldur's Gate 2, prologue. You escape Irenicus' lab with the companions you have found and saved there. All of a sudden a group of unknown mages appears and takes away both Irenicus and Imoen for casting magic. You are not warned in any way, shape or form that you will be losing a character, very important one at that, right during the prologue. There is no other solution then to roll with it and start the game in earnest.

You spend half the game searching for Imoen afterwards.

Now, if Baldur's Gate 2 can get away with this and still be called a RPG (an exceptional one dare I say), I think that Jagged Alliance 3 is doing a mighty fine job at introducing plot events with some panache. 🙂

Edited by Melliores

8 minutes ago, Jaywalker said:

RPGs will absolutely throw problems at you to which the solution is not one you would like.

Your options in JA3 are on how you fight, and in this one case you are only denied the choice on when and where, and even that isn't 100% true, as you can eliminate the attack team before they reach Biff, giving you more time to prepare.

I'm almost certain that if someone tried it, you can ever stop other events by having people where they happen beforehand.

JA3 is not an RPG if you consider game forces you to do certain things in certain way. Hell, game can even force you to fight in certain way.

59 minutes ago, Melliores said:

I do like the scripted events and sieges.

There is an event, sort of counter-attack called the N-Night (play of words with D-Day). You know in advance where it would be and with some NPC dialogue you will get an exact date and time. What you do not know is the numbers of the attackers. You have ample time to prepare and there are two quests to give you additional defenders.

The Biff siege is kind of a surprise but very welcome one - the game tries to throw something at you instead of passively waiting for you to assault one sector after another. Call it hurdle, challenge, whatever - it is there to give a sense that this is a living world and other characters and forces move within it.

Now, without prior knowledge that siege is difficult. You might want to even load a previous save before going to that sector and bring more mercenaries. It is very much possible to go through the 4-5-6 waves with minimal wounds if you look at the strategical and tactical map. The enemies can come only from the south and east, so you should position your forces to cover those entrances. You have the billboard and the dinner, both good spots to place your mercs and get a high ground bonus. You can even place proximity explosives (if you have found such detonators) and let the enemies walk into a minefield.

Scouting is not only done via the Scout strategic op - you can use your common sense to check how the enemy can approach the sector and where you can prepare defensive positions. You do know well in advance that Biff will be attack by a major force, so you should not be underestimating the Légion.

Just did N-Night and it was great fun - even lost one of the main supporters which means I no longer have access to her stuff. 

1 hour ago, Melliores said:

An example of how a good RPG works, if I may:

Baldur's Gate 2, prologue. You escape Irenicus' lab with the companions you have found and saved there. All of a sudden a group of unknown mages appears and takes away both Irenicus and Imoen for casting magic. You are not warned in any way, shape or form that you will be losing a character, very important one at that, right during the prologue. There is no other solution then to roll with it and start the game in earnest.

You spend half the game searching for Imoen afterwards.

Now, if Baldur's Gate 2 can get away with this and still be called a RPG (an exceptional one dare I say), I think that Jagged Alliance 3 is doing a mighty fine job at introducing plot events with some panache. 🙂

Because you dont understand what RPG is. Baldurs Gate 2 prison escape opening is a constant narrative, serves as exposition and tutorial zone. You dont have access to free roam and sets up the main game.

Real game starts when we get to Waukeen's Promenade, because narrative is interactive now, meaning: you have free roam and multiple angles to approach your problems.

Jagged Alliance 3 does this job terrifically with Ernie Island then when you get your free roam option game starts to fall flat with poor design choices forcing players to follow certain path and certain game play. And bad desing choices pile up overtime

Best quest IMO, to showcase bad questing in this game, is recruiting Coffee Beans to defend Port Cacao. Each member of Coffee Beans respond to ONE skill or a perk. Even with your wealth, items game doesn't prompt an alternative for recruiting these people if you dont have corresponding skill or perk.

Good design choice(well it is not "good" but better IMO) Herman's quest line. I consider it better not good side quest because of reward/effort is not in players favor. If you let him die in Ernie, you basically throw xp, Herman story etc to garbage bin. Even killing him in Ernie is not a real choice because letting him live yields extra rewards.

Edited by Skaldy

The quests in JA3 are designed with a fail condition - you are not expected to complete all or get every possible extra from them.

The Coffee Beans is a good design choice - you are rewarded for having a diverse team. I actually had to recruit Meltdown just for that quest because I did not have a Psycho in any of my squads. Gave her my HK21 machingegun and loved her as a gunner during the N-Night defense. The quest actually encourages you to go the extra mile and discover more of the game.

But that is not all - this quest can be completed in a completely different manner. Instead of having to recruit yourself all of the Coffee Beans, finish the quest about Ma Baxter's shotgun right next door. Then offer the shotgun to Grandma Cohani in exchange for the Coffee Beans' help with the defense - she will recruit all the other members herself.

Almost every quest in JA3 has 2 or more ways to complete it. Not all lead to the same result, sometimes they are completely different from each other.

Herman's quest is also good design - You can keep silent and receive a unique rifle amongst other goods. You get a morale penalty though. By exiling him from Ernie you do not get any unique rewards down the line, just some extra XP and possibly mine income. If you want to mix/max it - you either complete the quest line immediately and get a unique weapon, or you wait way down the line for some extra XP, which requires additional effort. To me both are fair trades for what the player wants to do.

About Baldur's Gate 2 - is it or is it not an RPG? Apparently I am not well-versed in the arts of RPGs and story-telling. 🙂

10 minutes ago, Melliores said:

The quests in JA3 are designed with a fail condition - you are not expected to complete all or get every possible extra from them.

The Coffee Beans is a good design choice - you are rewarded for having a diverse team. I actually had to recruit Meltdown just for that quest because I did not have a Psycho in any of my squads. Gave her my HK21 machingegun and loved her as a gunner during the N-Night defense. The quest actually encourages you to go the extra mile and discover more of the game.

But that is not all - this quest can be completed in a completely different manner. Instead of having to recruit yourself all of the Coffee Beans, finish the quest about Ma Baxter's shotgun right next door. Then offer the shotgun to Grandma Cohani in exchange for the Coffee Beans' help with the defense - she will recruit all the other members herself.

Almost every quest in JA3 has 2 or more ways to complete it. Not all lead to the same result, sometimes they are completely different from each other.

Herman's quest is also good design - You can keep silent and receive a unique rifle amongst other goods. You get a morale penalty though. By exiling him from Ernie you do not get any unique rewards down the line, just some extra XP and possibly mine income. If you want to mix/max it - you either complete the quest line immediately and get a unique weapon, or you wait way down the line for some extra XP, which requires additional effort. To me both are fair trades for what the player wants to do.

About Baldur's Gate 2 - is it or is it not an RPG? Apparently I am not well-versed in the arts of RPGs and story-telling. 🙂

RPGs forcing you to play in a certain way are not RPGs. You see i did that shotgun quest after the battle so i am not even aware of this. I can change it to now a good design choice. That is a mistake on my part. On my part, i couldnt complete getting wig quest in time and constant attacks on Fleatown posed larger threat right before N-Night

You probably dont understand. Herman story line yields more XP and rewards if you continue with him. Keeping silent get Luc hanged and you cut off his side of the quest. IF getting Luc killed caused perma morale debuff i would agree though. Choices and consequences feels well thought.

Ah since you cant make direct arguments you are resorting to rhetoric? Baldurs Gate 2 is RPG, your example of Baldurs Gate 2 and how narrative is used, is just pure BS. It is not forced event or anything and i already explained what prison escape is in terms of game design and writing.

Edited by Skaldy

I think that a lot of the misunderstanding here is due to you playing the game in a certain way and thinking that it is the only solution possible in JA3. The game is not linear, not even the side quests.

I have been reloading myself to see how a side quest can be resolved in different ways and am amazed by the depth of the game. I can give you even more examples with key plot quests that can be solved in a multitude of ways.

Oh, poor Herman. The game literally gives you a choice - either accept Herman's bribe and keep quiet or say something and get him in trouble. The bribe features a unique rifle which this early in the game is quite handy and it uses .44 as ammo. Getting Luc killed does give a permanent morale malus, which you can only raise by solving other quests down the line in a benevolent manner. See here for reference.

In résumé:

You accept Herman's bribe and Luc gets hanged:

- assorted choice of loot;

- The Confidante unique rifle chambered in .44. Great for sniping early game.

- You get a permanent morale malus because Basil had to hang his best friend Luc.

- You get +10 Loyalty with Ernie village.

- Oh, and you won't be able to recruit Pierre way down the line if you let the villagers kill his father. Provided you let Pierre live that is. 😉

You denounce Herman and he gets in hot water:

- Spare him and he gives you assorted loot and +2 Loyalty with Ernie Village. Later you meet him in the refugee camp where you can help him and Martha.

- Let him hang. You get +20 Loyalty with Ernie village.

All the choices have meaningful consequences and rewards. It is up to the player to decide how they want to resolve the quest. I would actually argue that the Confidante rifle is a better reward compared to the extra XP and money way down the road. But you do get longterm penalties for making that choice. 

This is just a sample of a very simple quest right at the start of the game that can have pretty far reaching consequences. 🙂

Edited by Melliores

Just now, Melliores said:

I think that a lot of the misunderstanding here is due to you playing the game in a certain way and thinking that it is the only solution possible in JA3. The game is not linear, not even the side quests.

I have been reloading myself to see how a sidequest can be resolved in different ways and am amazed by the depth of the game. I can give you even more examples with key plot quests that can be solved in a multitude of ways.

Oh, poor Herman. The game literally gives you a choice - either accept Hermans bribe and keep quiet or say something and get him in trouble. The bribe features a unique rifle which this early in the game is quite handy and it uses .44 as ammo. Getting Luc killed does give a permanent morale malus, which you can only raise by solving other quests down the line in a benevolent manner. See here for reference.

In résumé:

You accept Herman's bribe and Luc gets hanged:

- assorted choice of loot;

- The Confidante unique rifle chambered in .44. Great for sniping early game.

- You get a permanent morale bonus because Basil had to hang his best friend Luc.

- You get +10 Loyalty with Ernie village.

- Oh, and you won't be able to recruit Pierre way down the line if you let the villagers kill his father. 😉

You denounce Herman and he gets in hot water:

- Spare him and he gives you assorted loot and +2 Loyalty with Ernie Village. Later you meet him in the refugee camp where you can help him and Martha.

- Let him hang. You get +20 Loyalty with Ernie village.

All the choices have meaningful consequences and rewards. It is up to the player to decide how they want to resolve the quest. I would actually argue that the Confidante rifle is a better reward compared to the extra XP and money way down the road. But you do get a longterm penalties for making that choice. 

This is just a sample of a very simple quest right at the start of the game that can have pretty far reaching consequences. 🙂

Only misunderstanding here is, you are ignoring bunch of arguments to prove your point(or you are getting your kicks from just to argue something). I will go with you are ignoring arguments to prove your point since you dont quote or tag me and discuss something i said with other people.

I am save scumming too, but some quests have longer life span, like Bastein and Herman so you think people will go back to that choice after 20+ hours of gameplay? Specially RNG and reward/effort leaves a bad taste in your mouth? lol ok.

You probably dont understand what illusion of choice is and what is real choice. Herman has no real choice. Herman's story in the long run yields more XP and sniper rifles in a team where there are no sniper is not an actual reward. Of course you can set up better team formations if you know this from get go.

Maybe you should think more or test more to understand what i mean. By forced i mean, really forced, you need to approach combat in a certain way. One of my runs, i had 3 different machine guns and no variants to assault or sniper rifles, this prompts me to play machine gun based. Oh but there is reacquiring problem with  machine guns: machine guns waste ammo. So mid game i have ammunition problem. If i want to preserve ammo for big battles, i need to go stealth, another forced choice because alternative is i am not going to have fun mid game.

Resorting to sophist arguments and ignoring problems dont prove you are right. If you are going to just defend the game for sake of the argument, i dont even understand why even you are trying. I mean just go read your previous stuff, you are literally advising me to exploit the broken game mechanics to solve one of the problems. LOL.

10 hours ago, Skaldy said:

One of my runs, i had 3 different machine guns and no variants to assault or sniper rifles, this prompts me to play machine gun based. Oh but there is reacquiring problem with  machine guns: machine guns waste ammo. So mid game i have ammunition problem. If i want to preserve ammo for big battles, i need to go stealth, another forced choice because alternative is i am not going to have fun mid game.

I don't get where to problem in what you describe is. I think this is exactly one of the appeals of the game, to adapt to the situation the game puts you in.

@scripted events:

I only mind those if they are stupid or unrealistic, like a certain event at a church with a certain MERC NPC, where my whole squat somehow goes blind for a second and does not notice enemies approaching ...

I don't mind if it's scripted or causes extreme difficulties, but I do care a lot about fairness.

Yesterday I had a situation where I approached a large building with guards outside (not enemies, just the NPC/civilian type). I approached them very cautiously, and when nothing happened, I even chatted with them. Then the exact same guard type from inside the perimeter spotted me, turned hostile for no reason other than seeing me, and then the outside guards turned immediately hostile as well and killed my squad.

Today I cleared a sector of enemies. At the end of combat, the game clearly stated "conflict resolved". There was nobody in the sector except my mercs. While picking up loot, I interacted with an object and was immediately surrounded by 8-10 enemies.

Not to mention the infamous dialogue where you say "joke" and in response you explode.

In JA2 I remember only one single situation like that (when a farm that was friendly during the day, I visited at night, and because it was night all civilians turned hostile). Because of this sense of fairness throughout the game, I committed to playing JA2 without ever reloading and for me, that added a lot of involvement and realism. But with the type of unfair events in JA3 there is really is no point in not reloading, as even a new playthrough would just be a stretched out reload where you then position yourself in anticipation of an event that you could not possibly anticipate within the game world.

I think it's great! Yesterday, i sent one merc to do some solo logistic walking back to a freindly town, to pick up and relocate inventory forward to the frontline. The merc was just armed with one M-14 rifle, a little ammo, one medkit and max empty slots in the backpack. While talking to the vendor in town, the 'abuser' dude and his tough guy bodygurad showed up, walking laps around the same town. Any intelligent sane merc would have just walked away; but i just had to make my merc do the 1 vs 2 boss enemy fight. I like that the game catches you off guard, even when you thought you were doing simple tasks.

3 hours ago, D13 said:

Not to mention the infamous dialogue where you say "joke" and in response you explode.

In JA2 I remember only one single situation like that (when a farm that was friendly during the day, I visited at night, and because it was night all civilians turned hostile).

This is also one thing I appreciated about JA2, it was more of a sandbox. It didn't help you or hold your hand, but it also rarely ever put you in "forced" situations that were scripted.

The only situations I ever remember being "forced" to either act quickly or need to cheese, were when you Assault the Alma training location. You can trigger an explosion to go off that will injure the Sargeant. If you aren't quick enough, he can bleed out and die. But that's the worst outcome. The General also, in the same location, he starts a battle.

If you walk out of San Mona mine using the ladder that leads to Kingpin's home, heavy battle.

But most of these aren't scripted in the same way.

In JA3, anyone who's met Faucheux will know that some engagements are meant to be cheesed from the start. Biff, the same and a few others. Can't say those are my fav parts, but hey. Lucky for me I save scummed those, unfortunately.

17 hours ago, Skaldy said:

Because you dont understand what RPG is. Baldurs Gate 2 prison escape opening is a constant narrative, serves as exposition and tutorial zone. You dont have access to free roam and sets up the main game.

Clearly, you do not.

There is countless examples of RPG's that set you on a path and expect you to follow it.
Most if not all have a set-piece event that you cannot avoid in any way, like the death of a major character: you know it's coming, it would be preventable with that knowledge, but there is no story if that event doesn't take place.

The second thing you do not understand, is that you have multiple ways to handle that event: for example, you can not handle it at all, and the world will still move on in your absence.

You can, knowing (either beforehand or just by applying the seemingly dead skill of "learning from observation") that this is an ambush, be the one to ambush the enemy without the dialogue.

You are looking for a flaw where there is none, and trying to pass some incredibly anal definition of an RPG as an excuse for why you are enlightened by heavenly wisdom in your dislike.

JA3 is an RPG with a story to tell, the story demands that the mil-sim aspect takes a backseat for the army to arrive for the final act. That's the end of it.

Ngl, I absolutely hated the scripted events when they happened, but they forced me to use whatever I could to survive (including hauling ass behind a large wall for some tried and true JA2-style tactical cheese). In hindsight I grudgingly appreciated being thrown in the deep end.

It depends on scripted event. An example of bad event is an ambush in JA3 which is first time when enemy has first turn. I had 4 members heavily wounded and bleeding before I could do anything. Such events should not exist as the only way to deal with them is via save/load magic. 

8 hours ago, username55 said:

I don't get where to problem in what you describe is. I think this is exactly one of the appeals of the game, to adapt to the situation the game puts you in.

@scripted events:

I only mind those if they are stupid or unrealistic, like a certain event at a church with a certain MERC NPC, where my whole squat somehow goes blind for a second and does not notice enemies approaching ...

Because multiple machine guns will waste too much ammo. I dont have machine gunner in my team, now i have to hire extra guy? Not being able to equip your guys the way you want due to ammo, which is very simple resource, is beyond annoying. In which RPG game you have seen absolutely no market to replenish your resources? Take Fallout Tactics for example, it is mission by mission based squad tactical RPG, yet after every mission you get to reflect on your resources, replenish your equipment.

What i am saying is instead of tons of weird weapon loot containers, ammo loot points would be ok. I mean hell if they dont want to add economy and trade give me something to compensate it.

Add SatOP to steal from ammo dumps. Or better put ammo dumps in Outposts. I am not saying give me 1000 bullets straight up, give me a fricking option. My inventory at some point was so full of weapons i wasnt using, i was just keeping them for, IF i run out of X caliber again.

I dont understand surface level simple stuff like this is not a problem for some people.

2 hours ago, Jaywalker said:

Clearly, you do not.

i do, just way better than you will ever understand.

There is countless examples of RPG's that set you on a path and expect you to follow it.
Most if not all have a set-piece event that you cannot avoid in any way, like the death of a major character: you know it's coming, it would be preventable with that knowledge, but there is no story if that event doesn't take place.

Yes, those are constant narratives, to set up premise of your adventure. Which as we discussed BG2 prison escape, Icewindale 2 Defense of Targos, Path of Exile Biawac not being able to kill you. Do you want me to go on? As i said Ernie Island for JA3.

The second thing you do not understand, is that you have multiple ways to handle that event: for example, you can not handle it at all, and the world will still move on in your absence.

Second thing you dont understand, that is called constant narrative.

You are looking for a flaw where there is none, and trying to pass some incredibly anal definition of an RPG as an excuse for why you are enlightened by heavenly wisdom in your dislike.

I am not though, there are flaws in every game, you just dont like when i point it out.

JA3 is an RPG with a story to tell, the story demands that the mil-sim aspect takes a backseat for the army to arrive for the final act. That's the end of it.

Read or learn comprehension. Player freedom wise, you dont have much options to work with. Game throws you armor and equipment you build your chars around it. Normal rpgs do this other way, you BUILD certain type of character and you seek arms and armor to perfect it. This is no where near a mil-sim. I mean if you really want to push SIM part, i would say gambling-sim

13 minutes ago, Skaldy said:

I dont understand surface level simple stuff like this is not a problem for some people.

Because it isn't a problem for the game to solve, it's a problem for YOU to solve.
You are operating a small mercenary unit in hostile territory, and you expect what exactly? That the local populace of mostly poor and oppressed miners will have on hand a steady supply of modern western munitions?
That you'll be able to have Amazon shipments delivered to you via drones?

You are meant to live of the land, and sometimes that means shelving your LMG for a special occasion or making your own stuff.

I'm just wrapping up a "speedrun" attempt, where I have no comfort to craft ammo or even train militia to hold the mines I leave behind, let alone go around looting all the stashes and outposts or getting into fights to cheese autoresolve drops.
And while I'm skirting the very edges of scarcity, I was still able to run an LMG's, by chosing when and where I deploy it to make sure it's worth it.
"No ammo" is a skill issue, you failed at problem solving, get better.

Edited by Jaywalker

Just now, Jaywalker said:

Because it isn't a problem for the game to solve, it's a problem for YOU to solve.

cool, give me some options to solve it then. Really i wanna hear how you overcome ammo issues

Edited by Skaldy