Scripted Events Ruin this Game

Applodeon

@Skaldy I'm too weak and too stupid 🤣

I gave back MG and did not use any utility nades, had couple flashbangs but my small brain did not acknowledged this possibility. I was going with who have bigger better bullets and they had more and better lol 😄 

Learned a lot in this encounter, also perhaps get there tad too early too (Earnie > Fleetown > Mansion) .. learned a lot on that day 😄 

This IMHO further stress of needing these scripted encounters so you are actually forced to think and adjust your usual strategies.

1 hour ago, Skaldy said:

lol, i will disagree on that, because of a 7 month miracle rugrat crawling around my PC, my wife lets me play😂

Enjoy it till you can, once your little one start to reach keyboard this dream that you live will come down crashing, literally 😄 

But seriously enjoy time with your little one till you can, now it is just cute and smooshy but once it grows up there will be just problems left 😛 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Claypl said:

@Skaldy I'm too weak and too stupid 🤣

I gave back MG and did not use any utility nades, had couple flashbangs but my small brain did not acknowledged this possibility. I was going with who have bigger better bullets and they had more and better lol 😄

You literally are not. Game does bad job at presenting options to people. They cant literally expect everyone to be expert gamers or ex-military to think about it. They should have showed you these in Ernie before setting up those events.

Learned a lot in this encounter, also perhaps get there tad too early too (Earnie > Fleetown > Mansion) .. learned a lot on that day 😄

Again not your fault, game sets you up. You need a mine ASAP they say and you know the drill from Ernie you need a town. Fleatown sets you up with NORTHERN path, via Haunted Mansion or Southern path via Crimelord's invitation. I mean, do you think if you went south and followed up Good Place quest, you would have better time?

This IMHO further stress of needing these scripted encounters so you are actually forced to think and adjust your usual strategies.

Scripted events can be fun, but with a game, which presents you options clearly. For example Haunted Mansion is adjacent  to Fleatown Church, where my milita sits, hello boys any assistance please? Or dunno merchants sell you utility nades? I hoards utility nades because of personal experiences in life.

Enjoy it till you can, once your little one start to reach keyboard this dream that you live will come down crashing, literally 😄 

But seriously enjoy time with your little one till you can, now it is just cute and smooshy but once it grows up there will be just problems left 😛 

Thanks mate, i am already looking forward to she grew up little bit. Last 1,5 years i havent slept very well, well you know the drill 😆

Edited by Skaldy

On 7/23/2023 at 9:40 AM, Applodeon said:

One example is at the Haunted Mansion after you clear out the Legion. Second one to raise its ugly head, so far, has been at the siege where Biff is.

The BIFF-one is very clear that there is a large assault on the way against them, so going there it's obvious that there will be an event.

I mean, a game could always be pure sandbox, and not scripted, but then you don't really have the story elements outside those you make yourself, that can get kind of boring.

The BIFF one gives plenty of time to prepare and organize. It's worse with the other big event where you suddenly get betrayed and are surrounded by enemies that will wreck you unless you reload and cheese it, and even then it's really difficult.

I mean, realistic yeah, but not so fun for my enjoyment of the game.

A scripted event may has broken my savegame.

I'm playing ironman mode, so only have a single self-replacing save game.

In sector D17 I summoned 'the beast' via the spotlight. She turned hostile after running into a mustard gas cloud, was then killed, all other enemies were killed afterwards - now the battle won't end. It says 'unknown enemy' around, but none is to be found, I also can't escape the sector to end this situation, the dialogue to 'Retreat' just won't show. I've searched every millimeter of the map. Sat map shows 'conflict'. So many hours in this save game already.

Is there any way to contact support / devs about this issue?

I have reported it as a bug but that doesn't help me right now. I want to continue this match, not having wasted maybe 100 hours of my life.

On 7/23/2023 at 9:40 AM, Applodeon said:

I have played this game for a week now and I feel that the developer did a pretty good job in getting the tactical formula right between X-Com and Jagged Alliance. The mercs feel unique and authentic and bring a new set of abilities to the table and how they synergize and work toward a goal with planning and interacting with the world is a fun process.

However, running counter to that is the scripted events that appear out of nowhere to entrap players in situations they can never anticipate or get out of. One example is at the Haunted Mansion after you clear out the Legion. Second one to raise its ugly head, so far, has been at the siege where Biff is.

Feeling the same. Most hardcore it, when get into this refuge camp again and you find the army of Grand Chine there. Talking to the some Colonel there you can already hardly survive this. And if you get out there alive the whole army of Grand Chine will attack in all place specially the mines next and you will start a new game at this point. On one hand genus on the other hand pissing you off as you cannot really prepare for that even if you know it is going to happen.

3 minutes ago, Warmonger said:

Feeling the same. Most hardcore it, when get into this refuge camp again and you find the army of Grand Chine there. Talking to the some Colonel there you can already hardly survive this. And if you get out there alive the whole army of Grand Chine will attack in all place specially the mines next and you will start a new game at this point. On one hand genus on the other hand pissing you off as you cannot really prepare for that even if you know it is going to happen.

dude, stop spoiling the story and the plot. Why you dont understand it? if you wanna discuss it make a (SPOILER) thread

39 minutes ago, marcinl0 said:

And scripted events still not patched - after first JA3 patch...

Yeah, because "things you don't like" doesn't qualify as "things that need to be patched"

See also the "urgent patch needed" thread which makes this same mistake.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Skaldy said:

doesnt help when i cant drop corresponding bullets for guns

Then use the guns for which you do have ammo.

1. Avoid burst fire with guns you have low ammunition for.
2. Know what gun to use for what situation. (Do you ABSOLUTELY need 7.62 NATO for some enemies? Use your Hi-Power/Uzi when you close in).
3. Don't use overwatch!! It will run you dry! (I only consistently use it with Raven, because that's how her ability works.
4. That's part of the game balance and difficulty. Scrounging for what you CAN and use the best tool at the time with the knowledge that the resource is limited.
5. Keep some "backup" weapons for your mercs that use more accessible ammo. Especially 9mm.

55 Hours into the game, I've already done quite a few major battles, like with Faucheux.. and haven't crafted a single bullet. I've only tried auto-resolve once. And every few battles I switch some of my guns to another one to make sure I don't use all the ammunition.

On some battles, I focus on trying to pistol/smg.. because I'm literally drowning in 9mm.

10 minutes ago, GODSPEED said:

Then use the guns for which you do have ammo.

1. Avoid burst fire with guns you have low ammunition for.
2. Know what gun to use for what situation. (Do you ABSOLUTELY need 7.62 NATO for some enemies? Use your Hi-Power/Uzi when you close in).
3. Don't use overwatch!! It will run you dry! (I only consistently use it with Raven, because that's how her ability works.
4. That's part of the game balance and difficulty. Scrounging for what you CAN and use the best tool at the time with the knowledge that the resource is limited.
5. Keep some "backup" weapons for your mercs that use more accessible ammo. Especially 9mm.

55 Hours into the game, I've already done quite a few major battles, like with Faucheux.. and haven't crafted a single bullet. I've only tried auto-resolve once. And every few battles I switch some of my guns to another one to make sure I don't use all the ammunition.

On some battles, I focus on trying to pistol/smg.. because I'm literally drowning in 9mm.

that is what i do, but doesnt suit my mercs and how i built them. Last time i had 20 or 25 7.62x39 and 20 7.62x51, and maybe 1000+ 9mm and .44. I dont have any .44 lever action to use, pistols and smgs are CQC, my mercs are long range fighters

1. I always use single fire even when i am point blank

2. I know which guns to use

3. Why exactly i am sacrificing my play style and character builds? Because devs wont add balanced mechanics?

4. No, it is not. When it is tied to RNG specially. Even with all my wealth and resources i NEED to choose between what RNG gave me.

5. Everyone has back ups for weapons regarding their skills and perks, i use those for situational fights(too many enemies to kill, some of them are in CQC will get dual baratte barrage in the face from Fox for example)

Forcing players to play game in certain styles, is not a solution just a band aid and attempt to hide larger mechanical problems.

Edited by Skaldy

19 minutes ago, Skaldy said:

Forcing players to play game in certain styles, is not a solution just a band aid and attempt to hide larger mechanical problems.

We've been through this quite a few times already, it's not a PROBLEM, it's a FEATURE, the game presents you with a problem to solve.

As a hint: whining on the forums is not a solution.

Just now, Jaywalker said:

We've been through this quite a few times already, it's not a PROBLEM, it's a FEATURE, the game presents you with a problem to solve.

As a hint: whining on the forums is not a solution.

It is a FEATURE, when you PROVIDE means and MECHANICS.

Hint: whine more about me, i mean you were defending 10 lockpicks=5 MG42s yesterday, so, lol

17 minutes ago, Skaldy said:

It is a FEATURE, when you PROVIDE means and MECHANICS.

Hint: whine more about me, i mean you were defending 10 lockpicks=5 MG42s yesterday, so, lol

The solution is for you not to suck at the game.

I have by now completed it twice on MI, and not once have I run into ammo issues that would cripple me as hard as they do you.

Even if you just rush through the game for the achievement, there is enough guaranteed ammo only a completely mental person that sprays their LMG from the hip at everything could run out, and even then you are showered with enough 9mm that you could do that and more and still have enough to at least bounce back.

And yes, 2 picks is equal to 1 LMG, because it's a videogame, not a pocket simulator.
Items take as much space as is appropriate for their utility: if you'd rather carry LMGs instead of lockpicks, then it is absolutely no wonder you run out of ammo instead of finding it in containers.

6 minutes ago, Jaywalker said:

The solution is for you not to suck at the game.

lol, lmao even. Maybe you should try your luck later when you gain more experience?

i am literally talking about lazy design choices leading to FORCED, OPTIMAL game play styles. Why do we even need levels and different perks when you can just make everyone stealth smg CQCs?  You might enjoy getting pushed around or enjoying simple and low quality things, i dont, specially when previous game titles gathered a crowd being that special way of complicated. I am winning every combat encounter with minimal effort.

You just refuse to understand, RNG effects the game. Cut down your freedom of choice and literally takes control away from you. If this was narrative driven game without mechanics, yeah. Devs selling me a BMW but delivering a Lada, if you get the metaphor for cars.

I already solved my problems by not using more than 2 mercs . Problem is WHY this is FORCED? Get it ?

Edited by Skaldy

23 hours ago, marcinl0 said:

It is so hard to patch Scripted Events in JA3...

It is hard when you don't want to, because you designed the game a certain way, and accept that some people won't like it while others do.

Do you know what a "patch" is???

The scripted events are definitely a bit too scripted.  It sucks that we need metagame knowledge to play the game.  I also do not like solving word puzzles in a game like this (the diary quest) because I'm on a timer and the game expects me to know what to do based on cryptic word puzzles that I had to collect by meticulously covering every inch of Chalet de la Paix.  I want to get into battles, plan my strategy, etc. and not click on little graphics in a town.

Had I known about the Sanatorium stuff I would've cleared all these sectors and then initiated the timed quest/event.

I feel like the game should be more reactive to the core strategy gameplay (which towns/mines/outposts are taken, etc.) than these little side quests.  Some of the side quests are fine and good and fit into the core game (skill checks for extra loot, go do this task for me and I'll give you some militia, protect some town, whatever) but some feel like you absolutely need to do them but they're a total slog.

• Like 1

Ok, I just had the Chalet de la Paix scripted event where a bunch of shotgunners surrounded me and blew my squad away before I could even do anything.  This stuff is just really lame and encourages save-scumming and metagaming.  Had I known a bunch of soldiers would pop up out of nowhere I would've put my squad into a safe position and initiated the dialogue with my toughest merc.  Just very lame overall.  I'm sure there are other things the team is working on, but these events like the Haunted Mansion and Chalet are totally out of place in the game and completely unfair and should be changed so that the squads at least enter the sector normally.

Edited by mrflagio
  • Like 2