Can we have combat looks plz?

Warmonger

I Would like to see my mercs in some combat look/with what they are wearing currently Specially Magic Look like a stylish gang leader from Chicago. Is there mod for already?  And yes I can read. So as long as the names are there it is ok for me if they then ma look more same.

Youre looking for uniformity and military? There are a lot of military uniform IMP and AIM merc mods at Steam..
Or if you dont care bout Aim personalities and if there will be an unlimited-number Imp mod, you can create your own personal regular-soldier army. Or you go for that "Revenge of the Adonis" mod f.e.

I hope they will introduce toggleable visibility of the Armor at one point. Best solution imho would be if you can toggle the pices individually so you could fine tune the looks to meet your flavour of individuallity vs realism. I understand what the devs tried to achive but as it is I am not touching halve the rooster because their looks hurt my Immersion.

I really like the new clothes of the mercs, but...
when I saw some mannequins in somekind of a shop, in one of the first trailers, my first thought was, oh hey maybe i can dress up my mercs. 😅

Or, wait, what about a nail studio? Getting some tattoos or a new haircut? What about having a beard? Hmm..🤔😆 (GTA Style).

But, Nope.

Edited by 5Cents

Some people like to recognize the individual mercenaries and some rather prefer an authentic look by seeing what is being worn (this includes me, due to immersion). The developers had a choice and went with the first option.

I do understand that but what about a middle way: show what everybody wears (vest, helmet, goggles etc.) but keep a small individual detail of each (e. g. the aid kit on MD's back) that would still distinguish one mercenary from another. This would serve both purposes, wouldn't it? 🥳

1 hour ago, J1v1n said:

I do understand that but what about a middle way: show what everybody wears (vest, helmet, goggles etc.) but keep a small individual detail of each (e. g. the aid kit on MD's back) that would still distinguish one mercenary from another. This would serve both purposes, wouldn't it? 🥳

If it's optional why not, but I'm afraid it's a lot of work as @sandman25dcsss wrote.

As for me I prefer as they are. I don't want them looking like cloned army soldiers. Besides many RPGs today have options for not showing helmets and even armors.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, 5Cents said:

Youre looking for uniformity and military? There are a lot of military uniform IMP and AIM merc mods at Steam..
Or if you dont care bout Aim personalities and if there will be an unlimited-number Imp mod, you can create your own personal regular-soldier army. Or you go for that "Revenge of the Adonis" mod f.e.

I would like them to look what they are wearing hence what I put on them. In JA2 loved it always when the all wore some camo.

Devs style-decisicion is a interesting topic, btw.

Actually there is a lot of surface content in the game. Mannequins wearing some different backpacks f.e.

But for some reasons, they didnt find their way on mercs and npcs back, maybe unknow design-decisions or
its imaginable, they designed them and got in trouble with some problems, who knows, maybe some graphic issues.

Maybe its the same problem showing weard vests and helmets of mercs.

Edited by 5Cents

In general, I prefer it when the equipment is shown on the character model, but I understand why the devs chose not to do it and I’m perfectly ok with that. However, it would be nice to have the option. If we could also customize the colour of the pieces, then you could pick a colour scheme for each merc and still tell them apart easily even if they all look the same. 

3 hours ago, J1v1n said:

If I remember correctly I read on some official channel that it was a conscious decision design-wise.

In Jagged Alliance 2, no equipment whatsoever was displayed except camouflage color. 😌

a conscious decision, design-wise, would included SHOW/HIDE armor/helmet, like many other games do as conscious design choice. Most things done with this game feels "forced"

(tried editing my comment, but delay was too long)

I get it though. Financial constraints. Time constraints. I posted in the off-topic section a link to a video on the history of X-Com. It is an eye-opener in terms of how difficult Turn-Based Strategy games have been to make, from a budgetary and publishing standpoint. It's a wonder that HG even managed to "reboot" the Franchise with the amount of risk that was taken.

I respect that and understand the corners that NEEDED to be cut.

They still provided extremely unique looks to EACH and EVERY merc. Would I like to see some visible gear/equipment?

For sure!!

Give me the unique mercs, but just parts of equipment also.. knee pads, elbow pads, helmets, night vision goggles, boots. I think these are things that would be relatively simple enough for HG to incorporate into a DLC/Expansion further down the line.

The visual part of the game is incredible. It's only missing a few touches to finish it up and polish things.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, J1v1n said:

If I remember correctly I read on some official channel that it was a conscious decision design-wise.

In Jagged Alliance 2, no equipment whatsoever was displayed except camouflage color. 😌

Yes, but in ja2 characters where just pretty generic sprites. Now we have pretty detailed individual models which is cool, but in some cases they Look so deplaced in the Battlefield that I stoppt using certain Charakters.

As seen with the Gas masks, they system to display what you wear on your character model is in the game. The devs even said that early in the development cycle this was the case - armour and items were displayed on the tactical map.

Moreover, the gas masks are really well done - put one on Flay who wears a hat and there is no clipping.

The secondary weapon that you equip on your merc is also very well displayed - Omryn has his knife and it has its own knife sheath. Rifles are snugged on your back, pistols have their own holster on the leg of the merc.

I think we may receive such a system in the future, either via a patch or a mod. The groundwork is already there. 🙂

I don't think a simple bullet proof vest or some sort of helmet visual would lessen the "individuality" of the characters. I'd be all in for having even that little bit of gear visible on the characters. The blonde female I.M.P. merc already has a sweet looking bullet proof vest on herself by default and she has a whole outfit underneath it too that makes her visually different looking from the rest. In my opinion having something similar for just wearing a vest wouldn't be in the way of how the characters look stylewise. Heck, they could use the same base visual for every armor type and just have different textures on them depending if they're wearing flack, kevlar or camo.

That being said I fully understand why they didn't go down the route, but I'd love to see something like that happening in the future if at all possible. Visual fluff is great, the more the better, usually anyway. Back in Action did the whole gear thing quite well even if the game otherwise was a little subpar. A toggle switch in the options menu to choose between showing and not showing protective gear would keep both sides happy. Of course, it is a lot of work to rig the models for the armor even if all you did was just slap some vests on the torso model, but it should not by any means be outside the realm of possibilities.

Edited by BossWeapons
  • Like 2

Just now, BossWeapons said:

I don't think a simple bullet proof vest or some sort of helmet visual would lessen the "individuality" of the characters. I'd be all in for having even that little bit of gear visible on the characters. The blonde female I.M.P. merch already has a sweet looking bullet proof vest on herself by default and she has a whole outfit underneath it too that makes her visually different looking from the rest. In my opinion having something similar for just wearing a vest wouldn't be in the way of how the characters look stylewise. Heck, they could use the same base visual for every armor type and just have a different textures on them depending if you're wearing flack, kevlar or camo.

That being said I fully understand why they didn't go down the route, but I'd love to see something like that happening in the future if at all possible. Visual fluff is great, the more the better, usually anyway. Back in Action did the whole gear thing quite well even if the game otherwise was a little subpar. A toggle switch in the options menu to choose between showing and not showing protective gear would keep both sides happy. Of course, it is a lot of work to rig the models for the armor even if all you did was just slap some vests on the torso model, but it should not by any means be outside the realm of possibilities.

Yeah I know that reasons and like it other. Specially with Magic & Co. And as long as there are their names over this will do for me. Well question of taste ... anyway we will c.

While I can respect the design decision to use fixed models I am disappointed by some really poor and lazy character design choices. For example if you take Sidney. He is a stereotypical British posh guy. He is also a professional mercenary. The look they created is that of some British lord. But not a British Lord who went to war in some tropical country, not even a British Lord who went hunting in the shire. He looks like a British Lord who is about to sit down in his leather chair and have a glass of conagc before going to bed. 

I mean this way it is just silly and immersion breaking and I call it lazy because the younger military history of Britain has surely enough examples of arrogant British snobs who went to war in fitting attire.