CtH poll.

DougS2K

Let's put this CtH topic to rest.  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want CtH percentage shown in the game?

• Yes.
    • No.

Vote yes or no as to whether you want CtH percentage shown in game or not. Not that it really matters since devs said they will not be adding it which I personally think is the right decision. I'm just tired of some people claiming it's a mistake and that everyone wants it when that is simply not true. Maybe with the poll we can get some actual real numbers here at least. 

Edited by DougS2K
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I'm not going to elaborate, I'm just going to quote what I wrote in the previous thread.

On 5/7/2023 at 12:56 AM, Wigen said:

I've been watching some gameplay videos and I think people are doing very well without CtH. It makes the game more interesting than the: "Oh no! I only have a 55% chance to hit, so I'm just cowering in the bushes."

So...:

- you have a range indicator;

- you know the shooting skill of mercenaries;

- you know what successes they had in previous battles;

- sometimes they call out, knowing that they can't take a shot;

- inform you if the shot is very difficult.

Thanks to the wonders of 3D technology, you have a clear view of the terrain line and obstacles.

You have a brain, so use it!

• Like 4

The thing is, if this is anything like the last US Presidential election or the UK's vote to leave the European Union, the losing side will demand a recount and keep on doing so until they get a win. Up until that time and also probably after, the losing side will say that the election/referendum was rigged and/or that the people who voted a certain way were lied to.

At least, unlike voting an opposing way in certain other countries, nobody manages to 'fall out of the window', even though they were on the ground floor, followed by a few others that miraculously did the exact same thing.

Either that or accidentally shot themselves in the head.

Seven times.

From a 6-shot revolver.

• Haha 1

CTH shown would not be a deal-breaker to me, but I would definitely prefer to be able to turn it off. I really hope the developers stick with their decision and don't put it back in.

Edited by Zwolf
  • Like 1

I would go a step further and hide even more info, such as crit chance, enemy HP and damage reduction %. It doesn't make sense you would know these things if you don't know CtH. You shouldn't need to know exact numbers to make informed decisions in JA. JA isn't exactly a min-maxing type game and that's what I like about it. You shouldn't have to make a "crit build" or "DPS glass cannon" or "high HP tank" or some rubbish like that, it's completely unrealistic in JA.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Xeth Nyrrow said:

0 to 12 as of now, all in favor for not showing CtH. I wonder how many alt accounts that kid will make to try and skew the poll.

I hope that he gets banned if he does. I get that he's not happy with the decision but the constant projecting his opinion as the overall opinion of all people is just a little much. I mean, I'm not happy with some of the design choices but I'm not claiming that everyone is also not happy.

I was just gonna say that. If you don't want trolls hijacking a topic with 150 posts per day with their 4th account, just make polls. Add more questions to the polls, make the answers clear, even yes/no like @DougS2K did AND make voters public for extra accuracy with known toxic accounts.

39 minutes ago, MateKiddleton said:

I would go a step further and hide even more info, such as crit chance, enemy HP and damage reduction %. It doesn't make sense you would know these things if you don't know CtH.

I'm fine with having those they're static values that would be hard to eyeball during gameplay and may be unintuitive.

I would like the ability to hide them eventually, after I memorize the modifiers, but that's just to declutter the interface.

12 minutes ago, SWi74 said:

I was just gonna say that. If you don't want trolls hijacking a topic with 150 posts per day with their 4th account, just make polls. Add more questions to the polls, make the answers clear, even yes/no like @DougS2K did AND make voters public for extra accuracy with known toxic accounts.

This is pretty much why I created the poll. Exactly, concise numbers don't lie. I should have made the voters public in hindsight. To bad you can't edit posts after a few minutes.

56 minutes ago, MateKiddleton said:

I would go a step further and hide even more info, such as crit chance, enemy HP and damage reduction %. It doesn't make sense you would know these things if you don't know CtH. You shouldn't need to know exact numbers to make informed decisions in JA. JA isn't exactly a min-maxing type game and that's what I like about it. You shouldn't have to make a "crit build" or "DPS glass cannon" or "high HP tank" or some rubbish like that, it's completely unrealistic in JA.

That is actually an interesting idea! I felt the damage numbers were too large and needed reducing in size (possibly also offsetting to the side of the damaged individual) but now that you have mentioned it, I quite like the idea of having no status information on the enemies. I am not saying to remove them outright but to have a toggle for those options. I know you could say that if those are toggled options, why not make CtH a toggle as well? That would raise further questions but for me, I wouldn't mind playing a difficulty level where all enemy text-based status information is hidden.

That is, depending on one important condition. If implemented, there needs to be enough visual representation to give you the necessary information. If an enemy is badly wounded, their character model would need to look and move like they are in that state. If they look perfectly fine and act perfectly fine, despite being (normally) designated as 'Almost Dead', then it won't really work other than just being a difficulty level that you increase for personal challenge. I wouldn't want to see a situation where a perfectly normal looking enemy stays just that and then keels over dead. You and your mercs should have an idea what state those enemies are in. If that would be too much extra work for Haemimont, they could still have those options as a toggle to challenge yourself, but I, personally would stick to the standard settings to get the necessary information.

1 hour ago, the jackal said:

i signed up just to vote no

56 minutes ago, SWi74 said:

Yeah because theres no way a poll can be hijacked by new accounts all voting no 😊

1 hour ago, MateKiddleton said:

Again, lets just put hankerchiefs around players eyes for total hardcore mode. Why not, arent you hardcore? 😆

Just now, Godzilla said:

Again, lets just put hankerchiefs around players eyes for total hardcore mode. Why not, arent you hardcore? 😆

There is liking a challenge and then liking a challenge. Gary Kasparov likes to play Chess (obviously). He enjoys the challenge. I don't think he would like to enhance that challenge by trying to play Chess, while bouncing a football repeatedly on his head and being endlessly kicked in the shins by an army of goblins.

1 hour ago, Xeth Nyrrow said:

0 to 12 as of now, all in favor for not showing CtH. I wonder how many alt accounts that kid will make to try and skew the poll.

Ah yes, the "kid" will be skewing that poll yep, absolutely

Not like there arent self admitted new accounts signing up just to say the voted no in order to skew the poll...

Just now, Solaris_Wave said:

There is liking a challenge and then liking a challenge. Gary Kasparov likes to play Chess (obviously). He enjoys the challenge. I don't think he would like to enhance that challenge by trying to play Chess, while bouncing a football repeatedly on his head and being endlessly kicked in the shins by an army of goblins.

Cool then we agree that removing cth was stupid and most people will not like it (regardless of how much they tell themselves that theyll like it) 😊

The point I am getting at is that you are kind of implying that difficulty is all or nothing. If CtH isn't present, that the game will be frustrating as your watch your bumbling mercs fire shotguns at their own feet, because they couldn't tell if they had a chance at shooting the enemy.

15 minutes ago, Godzilla said:

Cool then we agree that removing cth was stupid and most people will not like it (regardless of how much they tell themselves that theyll like it) 😊

Man dude, you are insufferable. You have clearly demonstrated that no matter what, you believe you're right and everyone is either wrong or lying. No one can possibly think differently than you because your opinion is objective unlike everyone else who has subjective opinions. 

Let's try this. No matter how much you say you want CtH in the game, you really don't. Your saying you do and voting as you do because your just trying to be different but deep inside we all know you really don't want CtH. You don't need to pretend anymore, we all know you really don't want CtH in the game. It makes sense now why you were trying to hide it. It's ok dude, you had us going for awhile though. Glad to see you agree with us deep down though and we are happy you now see that having no CtH is the right decision. Welcome aboard the boat with the majority of us.

Edited by DougS2K
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, DougS2K said:

No one can possibly think differently than you because your opinion is objective unlike everyone else who has subjective opinions.

Not quite right! Everyone else has the same opinion, they're just pretending not to. 🫠

27 minutes ago, Solaris_Wave said:

The point I am getting at is that you are kind of implying that difficulty is all or nothing. If CtH isn't present, that the game will be frustrating as your watch your bumbling mercs fire shotguns at their own feet, because they couldn't tell if they had a chance at shooting the enemy.

No no, difficulty is a scale.

There is no difficulty lost or gained as much as theres awkwardness lost or gained. Why would you intentionally not want to know if somebody has 20% or 40% hit chance from where they are. Youlljust end up making much better high quality decisions.

Players who are blindfolded arent playing a more difficult game, theyre playing a game that fails to communicate to them the very relevant variables that they may find pertinent.

I think it is strange that some people think no visible CTH is totally wrong while JA1 and JA2 were the same. JA3 is true to the Jagged Alliance roots and some people still complain. There are some other elements like the not animated portraits/lifeless conversations or the inventory system that should be improved but the not visible CTH is definitely not a problem for me.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Godzilla said:

No no, difficulty is a scale.

There is no difficulty lost or gained as much as theres awkwardness lost or gained. Why would you intentionally not want to know if somebody has 20% or 40% hit chance from where they are. Youlljust end up making much better high quality decisions.

You'll end up playing the game in a way the game is not designed to be played.

33 minutes ago, Godzilla said:

Players who are blindfolded arent playing a more difficult game, theyre playing a game that fails to communicate to them the very relevant variables that they may find pertinent.

Who would play blindfolded? I just close my eyes when I play games. It's cheaper since you don't need to buy a blindfold. It also has the added benefit that it doesn't make your face as hot since there is nothing covering it. You should try this method out while your browsing the forums here.

Edited by DougS2K