2 most needed changes

1) Ability to pause on tactical map (Steam thread: https://steamcommunity.com/app/1084160/discussions/0/3807280708314690040/)

Quote from there: "Ok, now that I've played a sector defense battle and had my squad split up and I had to frantically click around to reposition my hidden mercs out of sight and try to move them individually it's insane that pause during real time mode isn't available. This isn't an RTS and the UI and maps are completely insufficient for handling mercs like it's an RTS.

Pause during real time mode should be in the first patch. This is seriously ruining the game right now."

2) Auto-pause when a mine is discovered (https://steamcommunity.com/app/1084160/discussions/0/7405656898320575089/) or enemy is detected

Quote: "Barry detected a mine then a second later walked over it and exploded
You did actually read what I was saying right? I am questioning the fact that even right after detecting a mine they decide to walk right over it anyway
If memory serves me right, in JA2 mercs were smart enough to avoid moving over an area where they detected a mine (it was marked in interface with a blue flag and they would walk around it)"

Another quote: "since there is no realtime pause feature, therefore no auto-pause when a new threat/enemy/mine is detected... and since it can be detected right in front of you.. the only answer is to put your merc in prone, babysit every step, and wait 5 minutes for them to crawl somewhere so you dont detonate one by moving too fast."

Personally I don't enjoy the game that much because of both points.

• Like 8

Add to that list an actual Trading/Barter UI.

It's ridiculous that with how prominent of a character Tony was in JA2, the extent of barter in JA3 is "use a stall to get item".

It looks stupid, it gives you no preview of what you buy, and it doesn't let you exchange the gear you have on you for money (at least some of those stalls trade money for "parts"), or anything else you'd need.

Edited by Jaywalker

2 hours ago, sandman25dcsss said:

Probably you clicked a button to hide them. Alt as far as I remember

No, no asking for this simple  look of a green, red and blue bar.

Also the healing system is a catastrophe. Have not even found all of it in the satellite view. Why can a merc not just simply use some medic on himself how silly he ever may be with. Worked great in JA2 always. Also we got auto-medic with JA2 after the combats. This is still all very cryptically with JA3.

While the game is cool. Like it. Working with 2 guy teams, like i often used td in JA2. Ivan/Steroid at the moment. Another left back to train militias. 

2 hours ago, Beak said:

Let me drag the map around with my mouse rather than having to rely on WASD

This is what I missing 2 a lot. A modern game should have. Is there any option to rotate the map so? Have not found. But it does by itself. After I took this fort  on the island it came back another view. How shall I didcribe? North was to the left side wirst  and then it was up.

1 hour ago, Warmonger said:

No, no asking for this simple  look of a green, red and blue bar.

Also the healing system is a catastrophe. Have not even found all of it in the satellite view. Why can a merc not just simply use some medic on himself how silly he ever may be with. Worked great in JA2 always. Also we got auto-medic with JA2 after the combats. This is still all very cryptically with JA3.

While the game is cool. Like it. Working with 2 guy teams, like i often used td in JA2. Ivan/Steroid at the moment. Another left back to train militias. 

Right, the game does not expose everything needed indeed. I think you need a doctor for healing. Also people keep asking how to prevent "tired" status, there is no indicator or warning when it would trigger.

4 minutes ago, Warmonger said:

This is what I missing 2 a lot. A modern game should have. Is there any option to rotate the map so? Have not found. But it does by itself. After I took this fort  on the island it came back another view. How shall I didcribe? North was to the left side wirst  and then it was up.

q and e rotate map.

I agree, a pause mode would be quite helpful.

My other suggestion is related: I think enemy movement frequency is too high. Everyone seems to be on the move constantly. This is a) unrealistic (unless on patrol, people do not move around constantly) and b) makes setting up combat or just sneaking around quite frustrating. 

Just now, Replikant said:

I agree, a pause mode would be quite helpful.

My other suggestion is related: I think enemy movement frequency is too high. Everyone seems to be on the move constantly. This is a) unrealistic (unless on patrol, people do not move around constantly) and b) makes setting up combat or just sneaking around quite frustrating. 

Yes, I have time to control just 1 merc if I want to make sure my stealth does not disappear, every enemy moves often and fast.

Based on 10-15 hours of gameplay:

I'm having a blast. But other changes desperately needed

- Keymapping for mercs, come on Haemont. Not allowing me to toggle bind 1,2,3,4 makes it difficult to micromanage your team in realtime (especially considering lack of pause that is mentioned here.

- Free deployment on defensive combat. Being forced to start in a little box section in the city when defending a zone is ridiculous. The entire point is that defensive positions have a major advantage. Usually combat also happens immediately so you can't get your snipers in positions before enemies have closed in. Unless you have a lucky deployment zone. 

Now that I played for a while, I agree with what most people say here. The pause button is desperately needed to make stealthy takedowns better.

Things I noticed and would love to see them changed eventually:

- Knifing down an unaware enemy from behind should always be a guaranteed insta-kill. There are insta-kills for some stealthy knife action, yes, and they're satisfying when they work, but they're far too unreliable

- Since we're already at surprise attacks, the free movement towards cover doesn't work well for this game. It was needed for XCOM, where you'd otherwise outflank and wipe the floor with surprised 3 alien pods. But in this game the enemy has so much HP that it's kind of too much to also provide them with free cover. They already come with what seems to be unlimited ammo, more hp and higher numbers, and shooting alarms everyone in the vicinity, so there's really no need to overdo it with the movement as well

- In general, I'd really love to have the pause function to allow for stealthy takedowns of more than one enemy at a time. The game doesn't support stealth as much as it should, at least according to my own observations

- Headshots should count for much more damage. When I shoot someone with an AK into the unprotected head with a burst of 3 hits at point blank, I expect them to die, not just to take 70% dmg

- Show armor on characters. The amount of half-naked people fighting me, only to find out that they're armored, is kind of annoying. You rely on visual cues when planning your attack, i.e. who holds what weapon etc. The same should also go for armor, I want to see who wears what, so I can plan ahead

- Scarcity for the sake for scarcity is kind of annoying. You get attacked by a bunch of people with assault rifles, you kill all 10 of them, and all you get is a pistol and a flak vest? I don't expect to get all their stuff, or to get unlimited cheap ammo from the internet, but have killed enemies drop at least their ammo and some scrap to make winning fights worthwhile

- A major annoyance is the uncanny hit chance of even basic enemies. They're supposed to be untrained savages, brainless brutes, who are capable of little more than torturing defenceless villagers. But when you fight them, it turns out that they're actually olympic athletes, who can run, climb, hide and snipe you all in one turn... come one, we're not talking about their elite, but the basic grunts. Have them behave as such. The amount of times they hit be behind full cover with their burst fire after moving seems suspiciously like the AI isn't playing by the rules...

That's it for now. Game is fun and I enjoy it, but I wish the aforementioned things would change rather sooner than later.

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, LXant said:

- Headshots should count for much more damage. When I shoot someone with an AK into the unprotected head with a burst of 3 hits at point blank, I expect them to die, not just to take 70% dmg

- Show armor on characters. The amount of half-naked people fighting me, only to find out that they're armored, is kind of annoying. You rely on visual cues when planning your attack, i.e. who holds what weapon etc. The same should also go for armor, I want to see who wears what, so I can plan ahead.

That ^

With ALL those ui windows, all those games rules and stats constantly pushed in our face...

A mod (1.13) for JA2, a game made to run at 640x480, managed to give information more precisely, and concisely, in such a well-hidden way.

Pressing ALT while your cursor over an enemy to display what your merc sees; armor pieces, weapon, etc... A 20+ year-old game with 2D sprites for characters, with little visual cues, still manages to provide more info than a new game, with a ui that has the space of modern resolutions to display so much info.

*facepalm*

• Thanks 1

I'm loving the game so far (six hours in), but yes the mine-fields are a pain in the ass. Old school JA had the mercs walk around them after they were discovered. Hope this will be either patched by the developers or fixed by modders.

Just would like to add that I too would greatly appreciate the ability to pause or, better yet, switch to turn-based mode on demand. My personal favourite solution would be if the game switched to turn-based mode as soon as enemies are discovered.

I've played the game for a couple of hours and I mostly like what I'm seeing, but I usually have to reload several times after beginning an encounter with a group of enemies until I can get my mercs to do what I want - and this has kept me from returning to the game.

12 hours ago, D13 said:

I am thoroughly disappointed by this mix of real-time and turn-based. Too bad, I had hoped Haemimont would understand and replicate JA combat mechanics.

The idea is not bad that you can also continue playing in real time if you are not detected and keep killing the enemies in real time, which works perfectly with snipers on standing enemies, i also killed some enemies already with a knife from behind in real time but the action inventory is a lil hectic to choose so you have to make the timing really fast if you sneak up to a unalerted enemy and press the action knifing to the neck. The enemy AI is not so smart (am playing on Commando and once the enemy gets alerted they will bull rush on you without strategy, kamikazee style!) but also weird sometimes the enemy can spot you also from strange angles but hope we can fix the enemy sight later on, we complained about it so much in the Beta gameplay and they did sadly nothing to the beta game, other then completing the mercs voices. Not even 1 single new animation is added to the beta version.

If we (Jagged Alliance Community) want to make a really nice mod, patch (like 1.13, Urban Chaos or Wildfire) we need to put our effort on it. I would suggest the weapon balancing should be left to @Solaris_Wave as he has good knowledge about weapons.