Enemies will not be blown away from their original positions by explosives

Carmine

On 5/26/2023 at 2:18 PM, WILDFIRE said:

I wanted to point out that Jagged Alliance 2(also with mod 1.13) is more of a hardcore niche game like Ready or Not or Six Days in Fallujah. These games have also a great fanbase.

In my opinion that are more accurate comparisons when you look at current successful projects with a hardcore background.

6 Days in Fallujah isnt even out, how it can have huge amount of fanbase ? Cause its first person like Call of Duty ? Just watched some footages, hey i dont like first person shooters but the atmosphere looks good.

1 hour ago, WILDFIRE said:

The combat at its core is true to Jagged Alliance without the CTH.

CTH is a trivial nothing compared to the fact that certain actions are now about explicit skills/abilities and not about AP management, and the ridiculous "conservation of ninjutsu" going on with automatic weapons.

It'd be okay if the skills were "one per merc, it makes them special" the way Shadow had his permanent Camo in the original, but everyone having access to several doesn't exactly work very well with the "authentic" (it's not realistic, but it feels like it could be) feeling of combat in JA2.

7 minutes ago, Jaywalker said:

CTH is a trivial nothing compared to the fact that certain actions are now about explicit skills/abilities and not about AP management, and the ridiculous "conservation of ninjutsu" going on with automatic weapons.

It'd be okay if the skills were "one per merc, it makes them special" the way Shadow had his permanent Camo in the original, but everyone having access to several doesn't exactly work very well with the "authentic" (it's not realistic, but it feels like it could be) feeling of combat in JA2.

Agree about CTH, not sure I agree about auto weapons if you're implying the way they balanced it is good.

As for the skills/perks/abilities, this is the evolutionary part of the series where the devs get to add their spin to the game. Does this make the game spin more toward XCOM? Yes it does. Is this a good thing? Remains to be seen but those against it have been pretty vocal.

Personally I think it's going to alter the game enough to make it not feel/play like a classic Jagged Alliance game but I'm open minded that it will still be fun. I am very concerned about balance though because it seems to me it opens many doors to cheese tactics being the best way to win encounters which diminishes the core game flow.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, LoboNocturno said:

Just watched some footages, hey i dont like first person shooters but the atmosphere looks good.

Yes, this is how JA3 should look, but in Africa and with another camera view. Instead of real good story we get Granny Cohani with a shotgun, just great. Kindergarten...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lunokhod said:

Yes, this is how JA3 should look, but in Africa and with another camera view. Instead of real good story we get Granny Cohani with a shotgun, just great. Kindergarten...

Finally have to agree with you about something, yea with a realistic atmosphere like in Fallujah as example would make also Jagged Alliance a lot better. Jagged Alliance 3 goes a bit to Fortnite direction.

• Like 3

It seems that way on general appearance. I sincerely hope it doesn't have any intent to draw the Fortnite generation. It should be doing everything it can to draw the Jagged Alliance veterans instead. There are plenty of us.

In the pursuit of trying to attract the current generation of gamers, many publishers forget that there are all the other generations of gamers that came before and are just as relevant.

It is like with music, there is always this push to latch onto the next big thing, as if anything older is seen as stale.

Edited by Solaris_Wave
  • Thanks 2

On 6/2/2023 at 9:07 PM, Solaris_Wave said:

... I sincerely hope it doesn't have any intent to draw the Fortnite generation. It should be doing everything it can to draw the Jagged Alliance veterans instead. There are plenty of us.

This game is some sort of mixup of Desperados, Commandos and Jagged Alliance, which is o.k., but unfortunately suffers greatly from the comical (read: downright laughable) art style and some bad game mechanics (third person view action?) they have chosen. 

I've shown the footage to a few fellow JA (Classic) fans and they were all digusted about the way it looks and presumably plays. This game should not wear the JA name tag. 

• Like 1

On 6/2/2023 at 9:07 PM, Solaris_Wave said:

It should be doing everything it can to draw the Jagged Alliance veterans instead. There are plenty of us.

Exactly this, I just don't get it how publishers don't get this...

I mean... It's not like they don't have examples of how things turned out when they didn't listen to cummunity what is expected of a JA sequel. 

I played a few hours of Wasteland 3 as a refresher recently, and it is remarkable how close to what we've seen of JA3 so far is to that game.

Anyone curious should probably check it out to get a feel for what we're getting (except maybe the part where you have a tank with you).

JA 1+2 also had a lot of silly elements. When I first played them, I did not like the many "funny" mercs, and I picked only the realistic (professional) ones.

Even Sirtech made some decisions that were very unrealistic but good for the game. One example is that enemies do not to drop all weapons. Sirtech did not do that for technical reasons, but for game balancing. With 1.13 and mods where enemies drop all, it feels more realistic and is more fun at first. But after one third of the campaign it gets too easy, there is no feeling of scarcity anymore. For me it is the same with many other great 1.13 additions that make individual battles better, but at the expense of the campaign.

So what I'm saying is, if the game has good strategic and tactical mechanics, and is challenging and replayable, most problems will hopefully not feel like problems.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I am really curious if the game has improved a lot after the Beta or if we get just small bug fixes. Knocked over animations for the mercs after explosions, improved stealth mechanics, better enemy AI, a sort function for the inventory, voice and body feedback (animations) for bullet hits and so on are definitely needed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WILDFIRE said:

I am really curious if the game has improved a lot after the Beta or if we get just small bug fixes. Knocked over animations for the mercs after explosions, improved stealth mechanics, better enemy AI, a sort function for the inventory, voice and body feedback (animations) for bullet hits and so on are definitely needed.

Yup also curious. They fact Mercs can't seem to just simply 'walk' through a sector but are on a constant running speed as if they are all high on meth, is cringe worthy. Also when moving as a group you can see they all move alike. As if you are playing Command & Conquer back in the days.

It really dazzles me that with todays knowledge and tech possibilities, programmers still can't get basic stuff like movement animations (animations in general) right here. Perhaps they used the wrong engine for this game.

Edited by ShadowMagic
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, ShadowMagic said:

Yup also curious. They fact Mercs can't seem to just simply 'walk' through a sector but are on a constant running speed as if they are all high on meth, is cringe worthy. Also when moving as a group you can see they all move alike. As if you are playing Command & Conquer back in the days.

It really dazzles me that with todays knowledge and tech possibilities, programmers still can't get basic stuff like movement animations (animations in general) right here. Perhaps they used the wrong engine for this game.

I mentioned those very things in one of the recent Dev Diaries. They are too synchronised and need a little randomisation to their timing. Otherwise, they look like some robotic hive mind.

The crouch running seems to be done to speed up play but I hope it isn't always activated.

There was also the issue of the idle animations. Too much movement, too often. The mercs looked fidgety. It needed spacing out and slowed down a little.

Edited by Solaris_Wave

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, LoboNocturno said:

Another scene where enemies arent effected by the explosion, hope they fixed this issue with a animation. 9 Days left guys!

Enemies be like "Keep on walking, there's nothing to see here". 😄

Would be better to make it so, enemies hit by impact should lay on the ground untill all of your Mercs had their turn. Basically how it was in JA1/JA2.

This is just silly. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, LoboNocturno said:

Another scene where enemies arent effected by the explosion, hope they fixed this issue with a animation. 9 Days left guys!

More than two months have passed,if they haven't fixed it, how lazy they are.

And there is a "sent enemy into air by shotgun" animation, which may be convenient for mod developers.

I'm going to be "that" negative person in the room. 'Cause, unfortunately, that is how I'm feeling about JA3 at the moment.

The game feels way more like Wasteland 3 / new xcom clone than like Jagged Alliance.

Enemies dropping their guns and being blown back by a stun grenade? I don't expect to see that, as I can't recall many modern games that did that.

Everything is simply "damage" and "status effect". Meaning, you can't use the bodies ragdoll/physics to your advantage. In JA, throwing a well-placed grenade/stun in the middle of a few enemies was not only to damage them, but to reduce the amount of movement, shots and firepower the enemy would be able to throw at you on their turn.

7,62mm High Calibre (and Brigade E5) did this very well also.

A grenade was an absolute nightmare, as the stamina drain and the fact you'd often be under shock, or even blind, weapon on the floor... meant you had a useless merc. THAT is the true killer. Having to waste time from another merc to apply morphine to the shocked merc was a realy dangerous thing.

These fine details in battles are memorable moments and thigns that have kept me coming back to 7,62mm and JA2.

Very dynamic and plenty of detail.

Edited by GODSPEED

Also on the very same scene 1 enemy gets smashed to pieces and the others didnt even fall to the ground lol. That animation where the enemy goes to few pieces (head off, arms and legs off just like LEGO minifigs lol), we saw that animation first time in 1 of the earlier trailers where Fauda throws a grenade to a smaller building with a enemy in front. I honestly think that animation is very cheaply made sadly and in real life nobody would be smashed to pieces from just 1 hand grenade (unless you implant yourself C4 to your body and make self explosion like the Islamic fighters.)