Enemies will not be blown away from their original positions by explosives

Carmine

Not turning around when shot it is like some old western, but not being blown away is very bad....is like 10% of cartoons: 90% cases even cartoons character will get blown away, 10% they still with a burned face (sometimes in Tom and Jerry for example).

• Like 2

I am hoping that one of the reasons that JA3 isn't ready for release is due to needing to add more animations and audio to enemies. Several of us have commented in the thread on the Beta preview. Seeing it close up and in slow motion here shows precisely why the game needs further work.

The Beta also reveals a problem when showing a work in progress. If you show nothing, people get concerned and want to know why. If you show a WIP, people can judge it as if it is the finished article. Maybe a disclaimer would be a good idea or for the developers to post a Things To Do list for us to read (for tasks they consider able to reveal), which would hopefully put people's minds at rest.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Solaris_Wave said:

I am hoping that one of the reasons that JA3 isn't ready for release is due to needing to add more animations and audio to enemies.

I dont know, they had a release date in steam in 2023, this year. What they showed in beta looks so unfinished, so many work here. If they really spent 4 years for all of this - they need something like 2 more years to fix it and finish it. I think they want to do minimal fixes and sell it as fast as possible and just forget about all of this. And this is bad for "Jagged Alliance" name.

• Sad 2

11 hours ago, Carmine said:

Which one is more comfortable ?

grenade.gif

explosion.gif

Wow this is really bad on multiple levels. The enemies don't even flinch and keep walking. The game also feels the need to alert us that the explosive barrel explodes.... I mean come on, we see the explosion already 

Edited by scope112

Yeah, I fully second this. Looks absolutely awful how explosions from grenades and other sources don't seem to knock people down. But I think this is one of those cases where the fault is in unfinished features. I'm willing to believe they just didn't have the knockdown animations and such ready to be put in so they just opted for the next best solution: Raw damage with combat starting.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/22/2023 at 4:33 PM, Wigen said:

Yeah. It looks at least strange. I hope they fix it.

If all obvious things like these (hit animations, duplicate animations of enemies dropping dead, mines inside of houses, and more) won't be fixed, the games is gonna be okay at best.

On 4/23/2023 at 10:55 AM, scope112 said:

Wow this is really bad on multiple levels. The enemies don't even flinch and keep walking. The game also feels the need to alert us that the explosive barrel explodes.... I mean come on, we see the explosion already 

I'd say this is something that's almost definitely on the to-do list.

Also that written alert might be just something that wasn't removed yet, because it was implemented like this for testing purposes before animations were available. I do agree these issues must be pointed out as it is an easy overlook but also an easy enough fix.

1 hour ago, Povok said:

I'd say this is something that's almost definitely on the to-do list.

Also that written alert might be just something that wasn't removed yet, because it was implemented like this for testing purposes before animations were available. I do agree these issues must be pointed out as it is an easy overlook but also an easy enough fix.

I hope that’s true and it gets fixed. This is an atmosphere killer. 

Just let it go guys.
I've been silently following this project for a long time now and so far the game doesn't even deserve the name Jagged Alliance. It's an insult to the franchise just like many other attempts at trying to recreate this classic game.

While they will continue adding more CounterStrike meets Desperados meets Fortnite stuff to this game I'll fire up a new game in JA2.

30 minutes ago, MagicShadow said:

Just let it go guys.
I've been silently following this project for a long time now and so far the game doesn't even deserve the name Jagged Alliance. It's an insult to the franchise just like many other attempts at trying to recreate this classic game.

While they will continue adding more CounterStrike meets Desperados meets Fortnite stuff to this game I'll fire up a new game in JA2.

It's neither deserving nor undeserving in my opinion. The developers made certain decisions at the mechanical level, and they got certain results back. At the end of the day, JA2 is just a bunch of old graphics with great gameplay. And that's why people still play it. If devs decide to implement good or correct mechanics, then JA3 will be great again. 😕

Edited by Elite77

24 minutes ago, Elite77 said:

It's neither deserving nor undeserving in my opinion. The developers made certain decisions at the mechanical level, and they got certain results back. At the end of the day, JA2 is just a bunch of old graphics with great gameplay. And that's why people still play it. If devs decide to implement good or correct mechanics, then JA3 will be great again. 😕

Well... from the moment I read the dev diary about the UI/UX ("how much work they put into the UI/UX" and that "it has gotten multiple iterations over the past years" since "this was such an important element in the game and it could make or break the game" etc etc) and seeing what they came up with.. I sighted and kind of lost all hope completely.

Since in terms of graphics it doesn't even come close to the JA classic franchise. It looks like a complete different game. So for many JA 'veterans' among us, those that are simply wanting a JA2 with new storyline, this game is not appealing enough. We don't reconize this game at all in JA3. Perhaps JA3 should also not bear the name Jagged Alliance but rather their own name tag. Other than assembling a bunch of mercs and solving some missions on a checkboard, very little reminds of the old games. 

Then we have potential new customers that are unfamiliar with this game. What will appeal to them? What will make this game stand out from the rest? Other than the turned based mechanic, there is already games like Desperados and Commandos out there that look and feel exactly the same (in fact, tend to use the same tile sets) other than already being finished and can be picked up for 5 bucks.

Long story short.. even with correct mechanics I don't think JA3 will be great but i'm afraid it will dwell in anonymity. Thank god we still have an original boxed copy of JA2 Gold 😄

10 minutes ago, MagicShadow said:

Then we have potential new customers that are unfamiliar with this game. What will appeal to them? What will make this game stand out from the rest? Other than the turned based mechanic, there is already games like Desperados and Commandos out there that look and feel exactly the same (in fact, tend to use the same tile sets) other than already being finished and can be picked up for 5 bucks.

I disagree with this logic because it says that things have to be different or stand out. They don't have to be different in the slightest. Most marvel movies share many similar features. Similarity is not a fault if the similarity is in things that work and are good aspects of the genre, or just things that work period.

So it doesn't matter what the new customer or not new customer thinks, especially on first glance. If JA3 is good at a mechanical level, then customers will eventually trickle in, because good titles are played for a long time, have a good fanbase on twitch, and people make youtube videos about them, and other things of that sort. The developer doesn't need to make JA3 stand out (it already does, it does many things differently to biggest title in genre which is XCOM), but.

27 minutes ago, Elite77 said:

I disagree with this logic because it says that things have to be different or stand out. They don't have to be different in the slightest. Most marvel movies share many similar features. Similarity is not a fault if the similarity is in things that work and are good aspects of the genre, or just things that work period.

I think you misunderstood. I too rather see them sticking to the old stuff that made the early JA franchise titles so succesful and turned them into classics. But so far I have seen little of that in their latest iterations. What exactly are they trying to achieve I wonder.

Don't you agree the current look&feel is uninspiring and kind of dull? Emotionless, no soul?
None of the characters for example show any resemblance to the classical ones, except for their names. But they might as well called them Ross, Chandler and Phoebe, it would not have made a difference and that is a real downer.

We have seen what happened to most other attempts in creating a hybrid out of a classic title such as JA, where devs gave it their own spin didn't we?... they all failed miserably doing the franchise no good (games won't sell, investors won't invest).

So i'd rather seen them either making an exact copy of JA2 (and add a new storyline) or build a complete new game with fancy 3D graphics and CS:GO type of icons. And when reading reactions on the first footage which can be found across the web, I can assure you I am not alone on this. Bad news travels fast...

Edited by MagicShadow

2 hours ago, Elite77 said:

It's neither deserving nor undeserving in my opinion.

What's that supposed to mean? Should it be called "Jagged Adventure" instead? Or is it not worthy having a "3" at the end, and should be considered a spin-off?

Sure, it's a lot more Wasteland 4 than Jagged Alliance 2+1, but honestly that's mostly down to the fact that many people are expecting a sequel to 1.13, and not the actual game that mod was for.

41 minutes ago, MagicShadow said:

I think you misunderstood. I too rather see them sticking to the old stuff that made the early JA franchise titles so succesful and turned them into classics. But so far I have seen little of that in their latest iterations. What exactly are they trying to achieve I wonder.

After over 20 years, there will by necessity be some soul searching and reinventing.
What worked to create a cult classic in 1999 is not going to go well with the broader audiences of 2023.

Would the game be better if it had some more simulation and management aspects? Maybe.
But the direction they went for was to emphasize the unique "40+ protagonists" aspect that is equally part of the franchise.

3 hours ago, Jaywalker said:

After over 20 years, there will by necessity be some soul searching and reinventing.
What worked to create a cult classic in 1999 is not going to go well with the broader audiences of 2023.

Would the game be better if it had some more simulation and management aspects? Maybe.
But the direction they went for was to emphasize the unique "40+ protagonists" aspect that is equally part of the franchise.

In proportion, JA3 has less money than JA2, and the video game industry is much different now.

In my opinion, they had to keep isometric 2D and improve/structure the game from JA2 or 1.13. The choice of 3D was made after 2000s. It was trendy, but technically much more demanding. Like many video games and films, Jagged Alliance was victim of the "just make it impressive". Scenarists and game designers should be the head of the project, not the developers.

Now, that they have something, they should keep on improving it over a JA4 and a JA5. They also have to invest the different supports that are tablets and have it fully operational on Android and Apple OS. Doing so they can make it a major game licence by the end of the decade.

Re: initial topic; that's based on the beta status, they have still about 6 weeks to fix things, if this doesn't get fixed, I consider the overall game development as incomplete, and it should be highest prio to get it fixed asap after launch.

8 hours ago, MagicShadow said:

Don't you agree the current look&feel is uninspiring and kind of dull? Emotionless, no soul?
None of the characters for example show any resemblance to the classical ones, except for their names. But they might as well called them Ross, Chandler and Phoebe, it would not have made a difference and that is a real downer.

We have seen what happened to most other attempts in creating a hybrid out of a classic title such as JA, where devs gave it their own spin didn't we?... they all failed miserably doing the franchise no good (games won't sell, investors won't invest).

So i'd rather seen them either making an exact copy of JA2 (and add a new storyline) or build a complete new game with fancy 3D graphics and CS:GO type of icons. And when reading reactions on the first footage which can be found across the web, I can assure you I am not alone on this. Bad news travels fast...

I don't think current graphics lack "soul" or aren't good per se. I don't think I care too much about the graphics. To an extent what you said is true, I can criticize the graphics for kind of drab or boring enviroments (at least from what I've seen), very broken down African towns, villages with shacks. But I don't think I would mind, there hasn't been a real inheritor to JA2 throne since JA2, as long as they get the mechanics right I don't care.

I agree with the last part that they should just remaster JA2 or JA2 1.13, many people have said this, in youtube comments, steam, etc.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Some good points were made. I just have to try and not let emotions take the upperhand and try to see the possibilities this new iteration of JA might be able to give us.

Unfortunately, for me the first impression is the most important which; is the general 'look & feel' of a game rather than the underlying mechanics. I simply can't live with this art work since it simply doesn't have the classic Jagged Alliance characteristics. It not's appealing for it to be an interesting spin-off of JA nor does it bring back memories and wanting me to purchase it for a whopping 45 bucks. I'd rather buy 9 digital versions of JA on GOG and give those away for free to newbs 🙂

In fact I do believe that if they did not put the Jagged Alliance stamp on it, lots of people wouldn't even recognize the franchise and that is a pretty big issue if you ask me.. Now it just seems they hang on the coattails of the JA franchise (like their predecessors) but dont really pay tribute to the earliest games.

I wish them God's speed though. But i'll let this one pass even disregarding the 4h free to play period on Steam.

Edited by MagicShadow