DevDiary 9 - Satellite View

THQN Roger

6 hours ago, ArulcoFan said:

Def think they should've scrubbed fox making reference to "castrating" somebody however. Even the line format in my opinion was really weak, like it was very obvious that somebody on the writing staff thought of a pun and they just crammed it in there without thinking.

Castration is a huge war crime that was used by the most violent cartels in mexico as one of the most severe violent tactics availible. To think its good joke material is like if you thought human trafficking is good joke material.

A lot of that is cringe for sure 😄. Characters are over the top no holds barred style and I kind of dig that.

Sure it is not for everyone liking but you cant blame for dev middle road this as many developments now a day trying to please everyone, entertain every kink out there.

For better or worse devs are full throttle into this style and I for once appreciate it.

18 hours ago, ShadowMagic said:

A lot of work seems to be put in this. For some that'll be good news. But I'm afraid many fans dislike the amount of micro management and (in many cases) unneeded amount of detailed info the strategy map alone contains now. It's almost a game on its own where with classic JA it was there but not so much demanding.

I would disagree with that. A lot of that in previous installments was already there. If anything now it is easier to understand and plan things accordingly.

Style might not be everyone liking and I can appreciate that. Personally I'm on board.

5 hours ago, MEXAHUK said:

Great devDiary! Thanks!

But we still wait for your online coop 😉

I think that there is just one way to show online coop .. hopefully they wont write about it but show it instead!

Looking forward to see @Haemimont_Boian with @Haemimont_Boyan showing it off on one of the steams. Other couple would be totally fine, but being confused and meeting other Boyan should be fun 😄 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, ShadowMagic said:

A lot of work seems to be put in this. For some that'll be good news. But I'm afraid many fans dislike the amount of micro management and (in many cases) unneeded amount of detailed info the strategy map alone contains now. It's almost a game on its own where with classic JA it was there but not so much demanding.

Well, at least you're not claiming that it's 'dumbed down' 🤣

It seems like only a straight up remake would make you happy...

• Like 3

I thought Fox's quip after shooting that enemy right in the Jacobs was pretty good. Overall, it was a good looking and sounding video. In fact, the only thing I thought looked artificial at times was that there were several moments in the video where your mercs were all running with matching animations. The same leg moving forward, followed by the next leg; each merc moving the same arm in motion. They could do with a little randomisation so they don't have a synchronised robotic running animation. If they were marching then I would expect synchronised movement. Running in that fashion would be less likely.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Lunokhod said:

Oh dont be such a wuss... 🤢

I wont derail a thread with a huge conversation about legitimate vs cruel violence that approaches terror tactics, but lets just say I think it looks a specific way when a woman merc castrates a male, regardless of which side they're on, and then makes jokes about it.

Edited by ArulcoFan

5 hours ago, Raeven said:

Well, at least you're not claiming that it's 'dumbed down' 🤣

It seems like only a straight up remake would make you happy...

It is simplified in parts but I would say ideally it would be a bit closer to JA 2, and include things like % accuracy on shots and less RPG style combat. (And yes I know its written to "shadowmagic").

Edited by ArulcoFan

3 hours ago, ArulcoFan said:

I wont derail a thread with a huge conversation about legitimate vs cruel violence that approaches terror tactics, but lets just say I think it looks a specific way when a woman merc castrates a male, regardless of which side they're on, and then makes jokes about it.

I can't know for sure, but I suspect that voice line only plays after shooting an enemy in the groin (and possibly killing them?). If so, that would mean that mercs (male or female) only castrate their opponents when you order them to do so.

I am happy to finally see enemies that look more professional and wear camo fatigues (even if the urban pattern colours might have been better if switched to something more befitting the African terrain).

I am curious about the enemies that wear any camo. Is it purely cosmetic or does it actually make them harder for your mercs to spot?

• Like 1

Thank you so much, dev team! The more I learn about Jagged Alliance 3 the more I am convinced that this is finally a worthy successor to the greatest game of all time.

Also, this part...

Squads are limited to 6 mercs, but there are no limits to how many squads you can have or where you choose to send them.

...answered a burning question/concern I've had for a long time now, namely what the limit of active mercs is. So far, every screenshot and all footage I had seen had six or less mercs, making me fear that we wouldn't get that magnificent feeling you could get in JA2 when you invaded enemy territory with nothing less than a small army of your own.

On 6/15/2023 at 3:08 PM, Stuurminator said:

I can't know for sure, but I suspect that voice line only plays after shooting an enemy in the groin (and possibly killing them?). If so, that would mean that mercs (male or female) only castrate their opponents when you order them to do so.

This will probably not hold up in the gameplay, because it is surely the case that your merc can at times hit another body part than the one they were aiming at. This is especially true when using burst fire.

There has been recent questions about the militia that you recruit being all white, instead of mixed or mostly black. Why is this? The militia you recruit is from the local populace. This is their land, so it would make sense to see black people as part of your militia. Also, are they all male or will there be female militia?

• Like 1

Contrary to the rest of the Army, the French Legion still does not enlist women. (Only Susan Travers was enlisted during WW2). However the "Legion" is imaginary. So it's open. It can follow the French Legion rule or not.

I also agree with @Solaris_Wave and @Lunokhod. There should be more black people and female in militia. Apparently no black RPC too. That would have improve the immersion. I'm aware it's late though.

1 hour ago, Claudius33 said:

Apparently no black RPC too.

We dont know exactly how many RPC's in game. Pierre black. But I hope more than 4. For example JA2 had 13 RPC's + robot. And all 4 from desert island. But jungle island very big too, i dont believe no RPC's there.

6 hours ago, Frank said:

Also, this part...

...answered a burning question/concern I've had for a long time now, namely what the limit of active mercs is.

While the number of squads is not limited, the total number of mercs you can hire from AIM at one time is 18, according to the latest dev stream. The wording was very specific, implying that you can have more than 18 in total, likely due to recruitable RPCs in Grand Chien. So more than JA2, theoretically, but not unlimited.

• Like 1

As for the female soldiers, in JA2 Vanilla they only appeared as elites, so usually not during the first few battles. It was a nice touch because it made the elites look more special than just the dark shirts. Maybe it's similar in JA3 and we have not seen female soldiers because of that.

• Thanks 1

On 6/16/2023 at 6:38 PM, Frank said:

This will probably not hold up in the gameplay, because it is surely the case that your merc can at times hit another body part than the one they were aiming at. This is especially true when using burst fire.

Nah... They said missed targeted shots miss completely and can't hit another body part. So much for bullet trajectory simulation. Sigh...

Perhaps not all of u remember, but in JA2 time in game was equal to real time. So here is question. Can i start battle at night and over it at morning? And actually its important. I used this tactic in some sectors of JA2. It was tactical time managment.

3 hours ago, elenhil said:

Nah... They said missed targeted shots miss completely and can't hit another body part. So much for bullet trajectory simulation. Sigh...

That is strange, because you can hit persons other than the targeted person if they happen to be behind or in front of the target. It almost seems like it would be more work for the developers to restrict hits to the initially targeted body part.

Unless they make it so that accidental hits always affect the same body parts as the one we were aiming for on the targeted enemy. But that too would be strange in situations where we shoot upwards (like lying prone and aiming for the head of a distant enemy) and we then hit someone standing right in front of us, it should hit their legs not their head.

15 hours ago, D13 said:

That is strange, because you can hit persons other than the targeted person if they happen to be behind or in front of the target. It almost seems like it would be more work for the developers to restrict hits to the initially targeted body part.

Strange is being nice, stupid is much more accurate. Also this is likely something we won't be able to change easily with mods but I hope it either gets changed by release or we can eventually mod it to be included.

On 6/15/2023 at 4:07 AM, Claypl said:

I think that there is just one way to show online coop .. hopefully they wont write about it but show it instead!

I'm quite interested to see how this is going to be implemented in the game.

How about PvP? Certain amount od cash, select mercenaries, buy weapons, get thrown onto a map.

On 6/13/2023 at 9:40 PM, Lunokhod said:

I thought it was Adonis Corp soldiers. They protected Ms. Lafontaine in 1st sector in game(btw love this small details that residence was attacked).

Back to Adonis Corp — here is how JA3 is described by IGN. Maybe it is simply some kind of mistake but if not — it's pretty huge. Five "states" (factions?) and possibly even the opportunity to choose who to fight for. Corresponds well with Boyan's answer on Discord — he confirmed there are several factions and one of those is using composers surnames (Handel) as squad callsigns.

Снимок экрана 2023-06-18 125715.jpg

• Thanks 1