UI Mockup proposal

Melliores

I really liked the Jagged Alliance 2 one (the 1.13 version) but I don't see it in Jagged Alliance 3 because it is quite different to what we have now.

The other one that goes more towards Baldur's Gate 3 also looks very good and intuitive but we will have to see if it can show a full squad of six mercenaries next to each other.

Still, both are a massive improvement which is not that hard compared to the current inventory system. 😆

Seeing the merc backpacks associated with the merc makes a huge difference visually. This would still work well for players that use controllers or steam deck. Don't think any extra coding would need to be done (maybe sector stash displaying at the same time as squad stash would need a little code).

Looks good to me, far more engaging and more functional with just a visual change!

8 hours ago, Melliores said:

A player shared on Steam their idea for an inventory UI improvement. Follows a bit the Baldur's Gate 3 one in my opinion.

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/2046373706666365108/AD90A0C092A31E0F45ED1C19EC77226ABDB5FEFD/?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Letterbox&imcolor=%23000000&letterbox=false

What do you think, do you have any other ideas how to improve the UI?

I think it would be so much better!

I would also like to see a toggle to view all the mercs stats on top of portrait, or under it - like the one on Barry - for easy comparing of stats and other info, maybe like overview of perks the merc has.

One screen where we can view MOST valuable information on the fly you know.

7 hours ago, Skaldy said:

muhsides.jpg

It's also the one I would like... but I don't think it would benefit 'this' game (the way it is at the moment); unless various pouches and vests made it into the game. A dream... maybe.... one day we get JA3 1.13.

• Like 2

THe issue with the JA2 v 1.13 interface is that it takes a lot of space on the screen (it is too wide) and it won't scale well on the Steam deck and some other resolutions.

Another design clash is that it is adapted to always show a single merc, hence why it is more roomy. But you will not be able to move items around the squad from it. You cannot also see the whole squad at a glance and what they have.

It is essentially a design choice - whether the UI is going to be squad-centered or merc-centered.

Squad-centered works better for JA3, we just need to make it more functional.

Edited by Melliores

1 hour ago, Melliores said:

Squad-centered works better for JA3, we just need to make it more functional.

Nope, Squad centered just looks like some FPS game matchmaking lobby. Entire big char portraits taking up half of the screen is to mask another problem: bad inventory system. If they are going to really fix broken mechanics like inventory, then UI will be pushed back.

It would be better if devs cleared the air with what they are planning.

12 hours ago, Melliores said:

A player shared on Steam their idea for an inventory UI improvement. Follows a bit the Baldur's Gate 3 one in my opinion.

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/2046373706666365108/AD90A0C092A31E0F45ED1C19EC77226ABDB5FEFD/?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Letterbox&imcolor=%23000000&letterbox=false

That looks pretty good to me. You see it all at once and shall be easily able to move items between the mercs  Both, the sector and  back pack inventory should still a button for quick. Sector inventory can be scrolled down of course?! Send it to Haemimont 

Edited by Warmonger

15 hours ago, Melliores said:

The only problem I see is that this hard restricts the Inventory capacity limit to 12 slots, which does not provide support for mods that'd want to go beyond that (e.g.: by changing the formula or adding LBE).

4 minutes ago, Jaywalker said:

The only problem I see is that this hard restricts the Inventory capacity limit to 12 slots, which does not provide support for mods that'd want to go beyond that (e.g.: by changing the formula or adding LBE).

Such limits always have their own "charm" as we all dream always to wear and have everything with us. But even with this limited space we have gotten the current inventory management is crap